1.    #1  
    And, of course, by wonderful, I mean completely inept.

I've been trying to port my number over since yesterday morning. I've called 5 times so far. After calling the first time today they were finally able to get half the number over, so that if someone calls my number my centro rings. However if I call out my number still shows up as my temporary number.

I just got off the phone with a friendly rep who wanted my Serial Number for some reason. She told me to take the battery out and read the number behind the battery, but then said the number I gave her was not it. Next she asked me to check "the back of the phone" and I told her it's just a plain black piece of plastic..."mmm, ok sir, but can you read me the number on the back of the phone," again, I told her that there's nothing written on the back of the phone, and I asked if she meant underneath the battery. "No sir, the back of the phone, it should start with a zero or two." This went back and forth until I was practically screaming "THERE ARE NO NUMBERS ON THE BACK OF THE PHONE, IT'S JUST A PLAIN PIECE OF PLASTIC!"

Eventually, I came to realize that she was saying (heavily accented, and I'm not very good at comprehending accented English) "Check the box of the phone."

Man, this is driving me nuts. So she finally tells me that the issue I'm having is normal and that the porting process may take up to 72 hours, and so I need to just wait (although the previous four reps all said 2-4 hours). She was actually really friendly, even though I was losing my wits and being rather rude to her (I couldn't understand why she was ignoring what I was saying).

So, I guess I'm waiting. At least incoming calls will come to me, that's the important thing (though I can't set up voicemail).

(anyone actually read all this?)
    yep, porting and vision access will take up to 72 hours. that's norm. mine took a little longer but oh well, thats the price you pay to keep your number.

that's a baby problem...things could get WAY worse, trust me.
  3.    #3  
    I've also just noticed that I had received a text message from Sprint saying the porting has gone through and that I'm unable to send texts from my phone.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    yep, porting and vision access will take up to 72 hours. that's norm. mine took a little longer but oh well, thats the price you pay to keep your number.

that's a baby problem...things could get WAY worse, trust me.
    Is it also normal for the port to be half-way working? That is, when people dial my number (number A) my Centro rings, but when I dial out the number shows as a different number (number B)?

I'm not really concerned about the wait, I'm just concerned that customer service is wrong and there's really some separate issue here.
    Well... I understand. The best time to call CS is Monday-Friday during regular business hours. Never call nights or weekends. They will MESS you up. I called on a weekend to get an issue taken care of, they made it worse. I had to call back at regular business hours to get it corrected. I learned, NEVER CALL NIGHTS OR WEEKENDS.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    call the cancellations dpt. They will work it out
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridatony View Post
    Well... I understand. The best time to call CS is Monday-Friday during regular business hours. Never call nights or weekends. They will MESS you up. I called on a weekend to get an issue taken care of, they made it worse. I had to call back at regular business hours to get it corrected. I learned, NEVER CALL NIGHTS OR WEEKENDS.
    The first few times I called were yesterday (Fri) during business hours...and that didn't work out so well either. I'm starting to think the only way to avoid inept customer service is to not call. But hey, at least they're friendly.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by turbulent View Post
    call the cancellations dpt. They will work it out
    Yeah, maybe calling retentions is the best bet. I had to talk with them to get Pick 3 added to my account, and they actually seemed to get it done in one call.

I wonder if their is any truth to the rumor that Sprint drops customers who call into customer service too often.
  9.    #9  
    My outgoing calls are still showing a 290XXXX number while my people can reach me by calling my old 571XXXX number. Does anyone here actually think this is a normal part of the porting process?
    Sprint may have had you program the phone wrong. I know on my new Q9c, they told me to "enter my MEID" into the box for MSN. I told her that it was only 10 digits and there was way more in the DEC MEID, and specifically asked "should I put my phone number in there", knowing that was exactly what I was supposed to do based on activating previous phones, but she still insisted that I put the MEID in there. I did what she said, my voicemail wasn't working, so I did what I knew was right the whole time, and put in my phone number, and everything is working properly again.

Also, I've had m y best luck lately with contacting Sprint via the online chats. No hold time and so far they've been actually helpful there (I changed my plan over the phone, but the lady I called apparently didn't actually change anything. I tried the online chat, and it was fixed within an hour.)
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Sprint may have had you program the phone wrong. I know on my new Q9c, they told me to "enter my MEID" into the box for MSN. I told her that it was only 10 digits and there was way more in the DEC MEID, and specifically asked "should I put my phone number in there", knowing that was exactly what I was supposed to do based on activating previous phones, but she still insisted that I put the MEID in there. I did what she said, my voicemail wasn't working, so I did what I knew was right the whole time, and put in my phone number, and everything is working properly again.

Also, I've had m y best luck lately with contacting Sprint via the online chats. No hold time and so far they've been actually helpful there (I changed my plan over the phone, but the lady I called apparently didn't actually change anything. I tried the online chat, and it was fixed within an hour.)
    thanks for the tip, i'll try online today. i'm pretty sure the phone is programmed correctly. the cs rep had me enter in my 571 number, and then some other ten digit code. if i call my voicemail, it dials the correct number, but i get a busy signal.
  12.    #12  
    Well, I'm trying online chat right now...

It's unbelievable how completely inept and/or unintelligent these people are. It's like they're just trying to **** with me. I keep looking around for the hidden candid camera.
    They have NO knowledge. They are just reading off of a screen. You just have to keep calling back until you get someone who isn't a newbie.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by floridatony View Post
    They have NO knowledge. They are just reading off of a screen. You just have to keep calling back until you get someone who isn't a newbie.
    I agree with the no knowledge thing, but what I don't understand is how they have absolutely no comprehension abilities either. It's like they're not listening to the words I'm saying (or writing).
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Try calling 877 812 1223. The people I spoke with there were very helpful. This was a while ago though, they may be idiots now.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Try calling 877 812 1223. The people I spoke with there were very helpful. This was a while ago though, they may be idiots now.
    Trying this now.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by dave75 View Post
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss sir mother****er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got through to someone competent!

Thanks for that number, I spoke to three different people, and the last one, Matthew from Tech support, did it. It he had me change my MSID and viola, it's all good now.

Thanks again Dave!
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amm888 View Post
    Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss sir mother****er!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finally got through to someone competent!

Thanks for that number, I spoke to three different people, and the last one, Matthew from Tech support, did it. It he had me change my MSID and viola, it's all good now.

Thanks again Dave!
    I can't remember where I got that number and I don't even know what department it is, but they are great. Glad you got things straightened out.
    fwiw, all of my calls to Sprint's phone customer service have been pretty awful, but when I email them, they're excellent.
  20.    #20  
    I've tried emailing them once (about the Pick 3 add-on), but I never received a reply. I'll try it again though next time.