Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hey,
    I was wondering if anybody figured out a way to install apps without Hotsync'ing to a PC. I'm on the road for 6 weeks and am trying to solely use my Prism instead of a laptop. I've seen PalmGear's PQA but since I am already 'on the road' I can't figure out how to get it. I have an Omnisky wireless modem and service but their email service only allows me to get very small apps. I have access to several other email services but using Blazer I can't figure out how to get the apps on my machine. This is very frustrating and is leading me to believe this is a chicken and egg scenario.....

All help would be appreciated,
    Chris
    In beautiful Monterey CA for the next 6 weeks!
    You could have someone beam them to you. Beambox works on about all programs and databases.
    The following space intentionally left blank...

RadarGreg
    Really, can't think of anything else besides having someone else install the app on their Visor and beaming it to you (or use flash SB module or CF/SM modules to transfer).

Or just wait till you get home to install.

In the mean time, enjoy Monterrey. I went there 3x last year, and I enjoyed every minute of it.

yeah, i wrote that ...
    If you had Browse-It you could download the apps.
    Matt Nichols
    VigoSpraxPalm@Yahoo.com
    since you have the wireless option, this thread over at PDABuzz might be of interest. There have been a couple of options suggested including a PalmOS FTP client.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Alright, I had to cheat a little bit(I used a PC), but this is what I found out.

I already had installed Blazer and Avantgo as my web browsers and was using Omnisky for my wireless web/e-mail access. The Omnisky service will not allow a d/l of any attachment greater than 10k so except for most PQA's I was out of luck. In addition, most PQA's on the web are zipped.

I discovered that PalmGear has a PQA that searches for files and allows you to download them directly to your device so I emailed that PQA to myself from a computer at school(BTW, all the computers at school run Win2k and I didn't bring any of my hacker tools so I could not hook up my USB(this makes a difference) cradle!!!!) The PalmGear PQA would not work because it needed a helper file which was about 24K!!

I received a Visor Platinum w/ both a serial and USB cradle from a recent win on Ebay. I was able to hook up the Platinum via serial cradle but could not install the Desktop!! As I pondered, I remembered PInstall and wondered if it would install on the Win2K system. It Did!!! I then downloaded Browse-It and synched it to the Platinum and beamed it to the Prism. Browse-It is great. You can download files and have access to zipfile contents on the fly which you can install directly(Thanks Matthew Nichols)! I am deleting Blazer and going to pay for Browse-It. YadaYada uses the same technology for its browser and is available for free from here.