1.    #1  
    First off, I feel very fortunate to have a good group of fellow Palm enthusiasts to bounce ideas off of so thank you in advance. I got the Centro now and I do enjoy it--- but there is a couple of quibbles that keep me from being totally comfortable with my phone choice #1--- I question the long term reliability of this phone when compared to my Treo 700wx. That phone was a durable "tank" and has been able to sustain all kinds of user stupidity (i.e., dropping, sitting on it, etc.). That being said, the Centro seemse very creaky and fragile in comparison to the 700wx---WHat do others think?

#2 Also, I am finding that there are certain things I enjoy about WM. Ability to do multiple things at once, some software I have found for WM are not present on P-OS (I know, there is more on palm os, but breadth does not always matter). Does anyone else PREFER the WM to Palm OS. I rarely EVER hear about someone who does.

I do like my Centro--- I am just torn, with the 800w on the horizon and 6.1 releasing-- Am I wasting my time with a CENTRO? Please provide your thoughts, my 30 days are almost up
    If you're worried about the phone's resilience, why not get the protection plan for $7 a month (plus $50 for a new phone). That's what I'm doing.

I despise anything Microsoft, so I'm loving the PalmOS.

As far as waiting for something new and better, well, that's always an option with just about anything we ever do. Might as well make your move now.
    The Centro is $99. Why even think about it? It's practically a disposable. Don't even bother with insurance. Just keep it until you find a nice replacement for it. Can't go wrong honestly.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChemEngr View Post
    The Centro is $99. Why even think about it? It's practically a disposable. Don't even bother with insurance. Just keep it until you find a nice replacement for it. Can't go wrong honestly.
    It's not $99 if you need to replace it before you contract is up, and so I think the insurance is pretty important.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    It isn't $99 if something was to happen to it. They would have to pay full price for a new one. the $7 is way worth it for any phone of this price. I have TEP on all my expensive phones. I have had to use it several times in the past and it has saved me aprox. $1500 in the past 4 years. In compairison to $84 a year X 4yrs= $336. That is a deal! It is true that you may not use it as much but even if you use it Once on that phone $84 yr as apposed to $399 to replace it.
    To the OP. The Centro can take some real abuse. I dropped mine very hard in a side walk while in Canal ST in the NYC. All it got were a few dings/sratches from the drop.

I've also sat on it a few times, and its still in great shape.

As far as the whole WM vs OS choice, well thats user prefrence imo. I like both so I can sleep well at night (jk).

Give the Centro some time before making your next move.

$7 a month is practically the cost of the entire Sprint data plan, so it's up to you if it's worth it or not. Kinda depends on how accident prone you are and what kind of cases you use, etc.

I've had many phones and never gotten the insurance, nor have I needed it. Not to mention, aside from the screen, a lot of parts can be replaced quite cheaply.
    i dropped mine from the bleachers at a swim meet onto a tile floor....i drop mine a lot at the hospital where i work (i forget it's in my scrub pocket and i'll bend over and bam, there it goes).

in my jeans, it's always in my back pocket so i sit on it all morning in class, no problems with that.
    Also keep in mind that the 800w will most likely be quite a bit more expensive than the centro when it eventually launches....I am guessing the 800w will cost around $250 after rebates and a 2-year contract.
    Ive dropped mine in my parking spot (concrete)..light scratch. My little girl drops it constantly and it works flawlessly. Add the insurance however, its great to KNOW youre covered
    Looks like I might have to switch to WM when the 800w releases, QQ.

Tons of browsers are being developed for WM (including those with built in flash support) and nothing for Palm OS... not to mention WM has palm emulation software.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks, I will try it a little longer. -
    Why isn't it $99? Was not difficult at all to get it at that price. I've always been under contract when I negotiate for phones and usually get it at the 'new customer' price. If it breaks after warranty, AMEX covers another year. My daughter would have moved on to a different device by that time. If the centro were over $100, it would be too expensive IMO since the OS is quite dated. I have never gotten any type of insurance on my devices. I guess I'm opposite - have never ran into a situation where it was my only option for replacement.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!