1.    #1  
    I'm testing out this Sprint Centro, and did a normal hotsync (about my 10th one with this device). then I did a hard reset to do some testing.

Then I did a hotsync (after another hard reset). Most data and apps came back to the device, but Docs 2 Go was no longer registered. and all of my documents were gone! This hotsync was done at work.

I hotsync with 2 computers. The one at home has Docs 2 Go installed, but the one at work does not. Regardless of this, I would have thought a hotsync performs a full backup of the device, and should completely restore it after a hard reset.

Also, my Yahoo account was no longer there in the Sprint email app (not talking about the "email" app, but the Sprint one).

I have no SD card in the device.

I just thought I'd pass this along. are my documents actually there on the work computer, but they just didn't sync over? I'm really upset that it did not completely restore my device. I like NVBackup much better. . .
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I would get a cheap microSD card (they have buy.com + google checkout deals where you can get 2gb for about $8) + a micro to mini sd converter and use NVBackup to store backups on the SD card.

Much, much more reliable than Hotsync (which I don't really rely on for anything).

Without a sd card do you create your backups on the internal ram or something? Seems like that would defeat the purpose.
    If you do not have a third-party application's Hotsync Conduit installed, it will not sync. You either have to install the Docs to Go Desktop or manage native files with a SD card and either a third-party card reader emulator or an actual card reader.
    Detective's answer is correct. Also, Papped's suggestion concerning a device/SD card based backup solution is very important. He suggested NVBackup and another one to consider is Resco Backup - both are excellent applications.

Ben
    It's been a few years since I've done a full restore from a PC via hotsync, because it's been my experience that it would ALMOST NEVER do a full restore (even with all conduits installed/configured). Don't get me wrong, all my programs/data would seem to restore okay, but there was ALMOST ALWAYS a pref setting here and there that wouldn't make it over. And it would always kinda make me wonder what else didn't make it (although I never would discover any data missing).

I'd also agree with Papped; SD backup all the way. I 'know' NVBackup and Tealbackup can do pristine restores - I've never found ANYTHING missing after a restore (Sprint 650 though). I had tried BackupBuddy, too. I think it also worked well (few yrs ago - never bought it). PowerGUARD also serves a purpose (for me).
  6.    #6  
    Thanks for the responses. I've been using NVBackup for so long, that I didn't even realize how useless the hotsync is. I guess I could still use it for installing some apps, but it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to restoring a device. If I decide to keep the Centro, I'm definitely getting a micro SD card and NVBackup.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Not to mention, if you use NVBackup's selective restore, Hotsync is even more worthless. I can just sync only my Contacts databases from an old NVBackup to restore my contacts, rather than having to hotsync.

I can restore only Splash ID databases from an old backup so that I don't have to reinput any entries or hotsync with my PC, etc.

For example, I'm trying out LauncherX vs Treo Launcher atm. So I NVBackup my LauncherX config, hard reset and install Treo Launcher from scratch. Then I just selective restore my contacts db, splashid db, whatever else from the LauncherX backup and my Treo Launcher is good to go on a new config.

No matter what I do to my internal ram the backups on my SD card will always be there. Just don't use that app Cleanup blindly on your sd card. It will muck with database files inside of your NVBackup restores (without you necessarily knowing they are in a NVbackup). BAD