1.    #1  
    In the phone app, there is an option called "Location On - 911 Only".

As I understand it, "it will allow the network to determine your location at any time in order to provide location-specific services."

I currently have it set to "911 only".

Are there any "location-specific" service out there yet that make turning "location on" useful?

(This is a Sprint - CDMA phone)
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    None other than for 9-1-1. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    Are there any "location-specific" service out there yet that make turning "location on" useful?

(This is a Sprint - CDMA phone)
    Yep, there is... but only if you want it!! The main reason my family just swapped from AT&T to Sprint was their 'Family Locator' feature. This allows you to ping a phone via a website and it shows you the location of the user.

If you leave the setting at the '911' level, this is accurate to around a mile. If you turn on the 'location-specific' service, it becomes accurate to 25 yards or less.

Oh, and YES, there are 'big brother' implications. However, my wife was extremely reluctant to get our 10 year old daughter a cell until I showed her this service. Since my kid bounces between a couple of neighborhoods when she feels like rambling, it provides a level of comfort to my wife to be able to do a bit of shadowing. BTW, the ping-able phone is sent periodic alerts that they CAN be located. This is controllable at the FL website; you can either do periodic or everytime-I'm-pinged alerts.

Me, I'd love to have location-based alerts. I travel 50 weeks a year for my job all over the world and I think it would be great to get 'Look at this!' type alerts, as long as I can opt out when I want.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    what is the website to send a ping and see where a cell phones location is? is it a free service or subscription based?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nachtswerg View Post

Me, I'd love to have location-based alerts. I travel 50 weeks a year for my job all over the world and I think it would be great to get 'Look at this!' type alerts, as long as I can opt out when I want.
    Except CDMA, as you prolly know, is not a "roaming" service like GSM. Would be great if on GSM, that's for sure!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    https://sfl.sprintpcs.com/finder-spr...ily/signIn.htm

Looks like it is a subscription-based service:

"For Only $9.99 a Month have quick, easy, and secure access to the location of up to 4 Sprint Nextel phones."
    Handspring Visor Platinum > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Pre > FrankenPre 2