1.    #1  
    From a Palm email newsletter:

Got a question?
    Ask Arthur, Palm's User Assistance guru.

Q: Hey, Arthur, where can I get a screen protector for my Centro? I've been checking around and I can't seem to find one.

A: You can't find one because you don't need one! It's not a good idea to use a screen protector with your Centro™ smartphone because it has one already, permanent and built-in. If you slap on another screen protector, you could reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen.

But it's great that you're looking around for ways to protect the investment you made in your Centro. It's always a good idea to keep your Centro away from items that might scratch or crush the screen. Centro and car keys in same pocket? Not so good. Centro inside a carrying case? Good idea. Check out the cases designed specifically for your Centro at the Palm Store.

Discuss...
    Visor 2MB -> Visor Deluxe -> Visor Neo -> Treo 300 -> Treo 650 Sprint -> Centro
    A permanent screen-protector is antithetical to the idea of a screen-protector: it protects your screen by picking up the scratches that would otherwise appear on your screen, and can then be replaced cheaply.

I'm using a screen protector and I haven't noticed any loss in sensitivity, though I didn't use her long w/out the protector.
    Doesn't really make any sense.

That's like saying it doesn't need a screen protector because the screen is made of plastic already. That's the entire point, not to scratch the plastic on the screen...
    umm... that's why I use a screen protector, because I can't always keep sharp, scratchy object away from my screen... I don't even take the little static cling off the screen when I first unbox my phone until I have a screen protector all ready to replace it with... NOTHING touches my naked screen! I have had the stylus that came with the phone leave scratches before so I never leave the screen unprotected!

IMHO, part of the purpose of a screen protector is to have something to take off and replace when it does get scratched enough to annoy you or interfere with the operation of the phone... There's no such thing as a "permanent" screen protector because if you can't replace it, it isn't really a screen protector...

I have noticed that with the trimmed down Treo Boxwave ClearTouch Crystal screen protector I am using now that it sometime takes more pressure than I'm used to before the screen responds but there is no way I would ever not use something on my screen... Not after I spent that much money on my phone
    I'm with everyone else. Always used one, always will. It has not effected the sensitivity.
    Last edited by floridatony; 04/05/2008 at 09:03 PM.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Global Posts
    362 Global Posts
    Screen protector is good for touch-sensative screen, it makes sense to have one for the Centro. But I don't understand there are screen protectors made for almost every phone on the market, like the razr. Blackberry obviously don't need one. I like to keep my phone clean and original. If you use Centro or any phone properly, they don't get scratched easily.
    Get the latest cell phone news and deals at www.icellphonedeals.com.
    I got my new phones free at bestincellphones.com, where did you get yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by davecombs View Post
    From a Palm email newsletter:

Got a question?
    Ask Arthur, Palm's User Assistance guru.

Q: Hey, Arthur, where can I get a screen protector for my Centro? I've been checking around and I can't seem to find one.

A: You can't find one because you don't need one! It's not a good idea to use a screen protector with your Centro™ smartphone because it has one already, permanent and built-in. If you slap on another screen protector, you could reduce the sensitivity of the touchscreen.
    considering the sensitivity was nothing to brag about to begin with it is not that big a difference, both are horrible comapred to conventional palms, as well as a couple of treos, but the real test would be to install notepad on a treo for comparison.
    But it's great that you're looking around for ways to protect the investment you made in your Centro. It's always a good idea to keep your Centro away from items that might scratch or crush the screen. Centro and car keys in same pocket? Not so good. Centro inside a carrying case? Good idea. Check out the cases designed specifically for your Centro at the Palm Store.
    My reply would have been What about dropping it screen first onto say a table corner, because of the slippery as wet glass finish you folks bestowed upon it?
    Discuss...
    I am all for a permanent screen protector, IF it is REPLACEABLE for those nasty falls or other freak accidents. This is a Mobile device that can theoretically travel anywhere( within reason obviously no scuba diving without an otterbox)
    And I love the idea of a durable super thick screen protector, as long as it can be replaced for a reasonable fee, "just in case"

I can say for a fact screen protectors saved me 2 palms, (one actually was penetrated but I cheaped out and waited on changing the protector giving the pinhole time to accumulate dust and a scuff I believe) If palm wants to guarantee it in writing that they will replace the screen protector should I scratch it, then hey they are welcome to, but otherwise I will go with past experience (and common sense) and put one on. Heck I remember putting saran wrap on my game boy(the original) screen back in the day, and looking back and kicking myself for not trying to market them myself.
    I'm also using a screen protector. I want something that can be "replaced" if it does happen to get scratched!
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Well, if they are claiming you don't need a screen protector and your screen scratches, that should be enough to get the entire screen replaced by Sprint.
    Good point, but somehow I doubt you'll be able to do this (at least, not w/out a huge hassle). I'm sure they'll claim that the screen would have remained scratch-free if it had been taken care of and used properly.
    Back in the day of the 'expensive' Treos, I did use screen protectors even though I am meticulously careful and kept it in my pocket naked. I've since changed to a horizontal case for my 755 since my last two treos got dust under the digitizer probably from lint in my pockets. The 755 is my first treo without a screen protector. I don't think it's necessary since I barely use the stylus or touch the screen.

I got my daughter a Centro a couple days ago. I did notice that the touchscreen is significantly less sensitive than my 755, so that would verify that the Centro has a screen protector built in. It cost $99, so it is cheap enough that adding more cost to protect it is counter-intuitive IMO. I'd put the money in for a nice case for her instead.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    It is $99 with a new contract. If the phone is damaged/broke before the contract runs out, full price will have to be paid unless you have TEP.
    I think the notion of screen protector is different for Palm and users here.

The typical notion is put a flimsy piece of plastic that can take damage and be replaced. It's also required, pretty much, since the screen itself is so fragile. Going further, companies either won't provide you with one, or won't put it on for you--giving the end-user many extra steps.

This new notion is this: lets put a material on the screen that, in general, will prevent everday scratchs to the glass/plastic screen. This will make the screen highly scratch resistant and for all the "average joe" users out there who have never used a smarthphone, they won't have to buy a high quality screen protector, fumble with putting on and replacing it.

I actually think Palm made the right reason for the general audience. Techies who have "always used a screen protector" in the old sense will do whatever it is they do.

In general, with no additional protection, the Centro's screen is quite scratch resistant and will last a long time.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Doesn't make any sense for a company who is responsible for tech support on broken units (it costs them money just to take the calls, let a lone fix anything) to recommend less screen protection.

It is in their own interest to encourage screen protectors.

They only have something to lose by saying otherwise, and gain nothing.
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    In typical Palm fashion (run by the marketing dept. & not by engineers), I think their rationale is something along the lines of: "Apple doesn't worry about scratched screens & screen covers on the iPhone so if we DO mention it, people will think we are even more behind the times. Better use some smoke 'n mirrors marketing spin to make the issue go away!"

Also, Palm probably figures the Centro screen is SO tiny that people will just use the 5-way navigator or a finger to touch things onscreen. The miserable stock stylus on the Centro will also discourage people to use it unelss a absolutely necessary, thus increasing the lifespan of the screen.

Now, if the wizards at Palm have come up with a new scratch-resistant material for their screens, then that would nicely explain the rumors of the GSM Treo 800w/"Drucker" having a non-recessed touchscreen.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Ever since I got my centro about 5 months ago or so, Iv'e always been planning on getting a screen protector for it. I never have and theres is no scratches on it yet. I keep it in my pocket and its held up perfectly so far.
    I've never used a screen protector since I've had treos. 600 to 650 and now 755. I'm sure I probably got some light scratches over the years, but you would never, ever notice them in use. you can only detect with the screen off and held at a great angle to see the reflection of surface.

I say save your money...

if they were really needed, palm would include them. they are the ones paying the warranty cost....
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    It is $99 with a new contract. If the phone is damaged/broke before the contract runs out, full price will have to be paid unless you have TEP.
    I disagree. I am under contract on all my kids phones. NO problem getting the Centro for $99.
    Palm III > Palm V > Palm Vx > (Sprint) Kyo 6035 > Handspring Treo 300
    > Handspring Treo 600 Oct.'03 > Palm Treo 700P May'06 > Treo 755P Aug.'07 > Pre(-) June'09 + TouchPad July'11 LONG LIVE webOS!!!
    I went and cut my screen protector on my centro.
    haven't done anything like it in probably 3 or more years, and we have this topic come throw my streak.

I guess thats what I get for trying to charge my Ipaq (the charger slipped out of my hand and cut a half inch gash on my centro)

I don't have time to cut a new protector to fit it, so Ill have to take it as it is to the doctor, I am gonna order one of the more expensive brands I have heard others rave about over the years, but until then Ill put another fellowes on it.

Oh btw I took a few snapsots with my olympus if anyone wants to see why you put a screen protector on.
    In addition to a screen protector, I also used canned air to blow it out once in a while. Ben