Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    The "down" direction on my "Palm" button no longer works.

I have no way to navigate downwards short of using the touch screen

This will now, be my FOURTH...1,2,3, FOUR.. replacement of my Centro.

4 different handsets. 4 times I have had to reload ALL my apps.

This is getting ridiculous. I feel like giving up.

edit- Im so frustrated I spelled "officially" wrong... sheesh.
    I'm a Pre gal now
    my directional pad gave up 2 weeks ago, they replaced it at the sprint store..
    I just do a backup (BackupMan) and restore to the new phone and I'm back in action in like 3 mins
    Can't you hotsync your phone, and when you get a new one, just hotsync everything back on it?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    wow...that is bad luck. What carrier are you with? (not that it makes a diff...just curious)
    I'm worried that I'm in for a load of problems, too. I held on to my 650 as long as possible (but then whenever I pushed the call log button the whole thing shut down and then re-booted)...

Just got a centro and before HotSyncing, went in and changed the conduit settings so that my Mac overrides the Centro (right?). I have tried about 3 or 4 times now, have re-started my Mac, and each time, after about 10 or 15 minutes (following the "Installing PhoneCallDB" message on the HotSync progress info section), it hangs up and I get "The Application Conduit Manager Quit Unexpectedly" With three buttons: close, report and re-open
    Oh, and when my phone re-boots, I get some message about deleting the Installer (which I've done).

Can anyone help? And while I'm here asking for help - why do I need to sync both "Calendar" and "Datebook", and "Address Book and "Contacts"? Aren't these redundant?

Thank you so so so much to anyone who can help me!
    Quote Originally Posted by apadia View Post
    I'm worried that I'm in for a load of problems, too. I held on to my 650 as long as possible (but then whenever I pushed the call log button the whole thing shut down and then re-booted)...

Just got a centro and before HotSyncing, went in and changed the conduit settings so that my Mac overrides the Centro (right?). I have tried about 3 or 4 times now, have re-started my Mac, and each time, after about 10 or 15 minutes (following the "Installing PhoneCallDB" message on the HotSync progress info section), it hangs up and I get "The Application Conduit Manager Quit Unexpectedly" With three buttons: close, report and re-open
    Oh, and when my phone re-boots, I get some message about deleting the Installer (which I've done).

Can anyone help? And while I'm here asking for help - why do I need to sync both "Calendar" and "Datebook", and "Address Book and "Contacts"? Aren't these redundant?

If you went from a 650 to a Centro, you want to install all apps from scratch. Don't use a hotsync to get your data back on the device. Install the apps and then hotsync to get addresses, calendar, etc. I'm not familiar with Mac's hotsyncing, but you need to be sure you are not placing any data from the 650 ontothe Centro via hotsync. On Windows, we go into the Palm folder and rename the backup folder for the user profile. This keeps data from hotsyncing to the new device.

Again, start from scratch installing apps. Don't hotsync, or use a backup that was intended for the 650. There are numerous apps and probably db's that are not compatible.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Unfortunately, Palm still needs to work on quality control. I keep hoping with all the changes they've made in upper management that good quality products will once again be something that Palm is known for.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apadia View Post

Here are new device/upgrade instructions, verbatim, from CESD (of DateBK fame) that I took from his Yahoo Groups forum that might help.

"INSTRUCTIONS FOR UPGRADING TO A NEW PALM DEVICE
    ========================================================
    1. Do a hotsync with your old device.
    2. Replace old cradle with new cradle
    3. Install new desktop software provided with new device (note: Sony uses
    the somewhat weak Intellisync Lite for Outlook - you may well want to use
    the more robust PocketMirror from www.chapura.com or the full version of
    Intellisync if you are going to sync with Outlook).
    4. MOVE the contents of C:\PALM\{HotSyncUser name}\BACKUP to some OTHER folder on your hard drive so it is now empty (I will comment below as to why you need to do this). Sony devices often default to C:\SONY instead of C:\PALM. Alternatively, you can just RENAME the backup folder to some other name before the first hotsync
    5. Put new device in cradle and hotsync - use the same user name when it
    comes up and asks you.

The reason you have to clear out your backup directory is that your backup
    directory may contain backup copies of some system files which may be
    incompatible with your new device (you don't want to load OS 4 libraries
    onto an OS5 device, or install a special Handspring OS update onto a Clie,
    etc.).

After you do this, all your built-in databases will be installed on your new
    device. Next step is to re-install your third party applications. Most of
    these can be installed simply by going to the folder where you put all the
    BACKUP folder contents and using the Palm install tool to install the PRC
    files (program files) and the PDB files (data files) for your third party
    applications. Only install things you recognize as your third party
    applications. If in doubt, test as you go along by doing a soft reset. If
    you have installed an incompatible system file, it will likely not come up.
    In that case, do a WARM reset (Hold in UP button, poke reset) and then
    delete that file.

If you do get stuck doing this (and that's rare), you can of course always
    set up a new user name, but that is more effort, and will require that you
    get new registration codes for almost all your third party software (which
    can be a bit of a hassle sometimes).

With respect to DateBk5, all your saved views are stored in the Datebk5DB
    preference database. You may or may not be able to utilize this preference
    database on your new device - it just depends on how old it was and what
    device you are coming from. It does no harm to try and use it, but if you
    start experiencing weird problems or crashes, you can be sure that you will
    have to rebuild those views. Your CURRENT preferences are stored in the
    system preference database. This is also quite device-dependent, so you may
    or may not be able to use it on the new device. If you are upgrading from
    one model of Sony Clie to another, it's likely you can use it. But if you
    are upgrading from a Palm IIIc to Zodiac Tapwave, it's much less likely.

You can save your "normal" preferences in the DateBk5DB preference database by doing this on your OLD device:

1. TapAndHold on left-most View Button
    2. Select CUSTOM/SAVED VIEWS from View Selection Dialog
    3. Tap on NEW button
    4. Enter name NORMAL SETTINGS
    5. Check the box: REMOVE IN-SAVED-VIEW INDICATOR
    6. Tap OK button

Then copy over or beam DateBk5DB to your new device, and to set your normal
    preferences:

1. TapAndHold on left-most View Button
    2. Select CUSTOM/SAVED VIEWS from View Selection Dialog
    3. Tap on NORMAL SETTINGS

Beaming over the data from the old device is quite reasonable IF you use a
    third party file utility to do that (the regular Palm beam command won't
    work on some databases, etc.) - I suggest you use FILEZ - a popular,
    freeware utility that works nicely."

Hope this is helpful.

BTW, they are redundant, sync only the ones that correspond to the new program names, that is, Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Memos not Datebook, Address, To Do, Memo.

Good luck.
    Regards, RoninKSB
  9.    #9  
    Im weird about hotsyncing/backing up my apps and just reloading them on a new handset...

I dunno..I just dont like to do it that way... I prefer starting over completely and loading them individually over just using a backup set.. I know, Im crazy

Anyway, went to Sprint, again, and they ordered me a new handset, again.

Hopefully, this one lasts...
    I'm a Pre gal now
    If it breaks again maybe you can talk them into switching it for a 755p.
    All in all, the Centro is the best device Palm has ever released! The operating system is rock solid. The form factor is also terrific IMHO. Almost every Treo has had some hardware problems and device swaps are handled well by Palm and the carriers when there are failures. The life of these devices are greatly extended if you holster your device rather than using your pocket or purse to store them. I have owned and used every Treo ever produced and never once have I had to replace a device. Perhaps I am just lucky......

Jeff
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    All in all, the Centro is the best device Palm has ever released! The operating system is rock solid. The form factor is also terrific IMHO. Almost every Treo has had some hardware problems and device swaps are handled well by Palm and the carriers when there are failures. The life of these devices are greatly extended if you holster your device rather than using your pocket or purse to store them. I have owned and used every Treo ever produced and never once have I had to replace a device. Perhaps I am just lucky......

Jeff
    After the first replacement, I bought a holster. No difference. It basically comes down to the bottons on the device simply wearing out. And after 3 months of use I dont think that should be an issue....
    I'm a Pre gal now
    I use the dpad on my 755p for gaming, which puts a lot more use on it than most usage. No problems so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    After the first replacement, I bought a holster. No difference. It basically comes down to the bottons on the device simply wearing out. And after 3 months of use I dont think that should be an issue....
    You are right - the buttons should not wear out. Especially after only 3 months. I wonder if you are getting refurbished devices or new ones? I am particularly rough on the 5-way during development projects and have yet to see a problem. Each component has a mean time to failure (MTTF). This does allow for some defects that happen well below the normal. I am hoping you have just had a rash of bad luck and your current/next device will be rock solid.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by cathartic8881 View Post
    The "down" direction on my "Palm" button no longer works.

I have no way to navigate downwards short of using the touch screen

This will now, be my FOURTH...1,2,3, FOUR.. replacement of my Centro.

4 different handsets. 4 times I have had to reload ALL my apps.

This is getting ridiculous. I feel like giving up.

edit- Im so frustrated I spelled "officially" wrong... sheesh.
    Pick up a 700p. Use it for a week. THEN complain. 4 Centros from legitimate problems is better than 10 700p's replaced for the same thing (a problem that does not exist (crappy hardware/software)
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Pick up a 700p. Use it for a week. THEN complain. 4 Centros from legitimate problems is better than 10 700p's replaced for the same thing (a problem that does not exist (crappy hardware/software)
    had a 700p and 755p, they were definitely built better/stronger as far as hardware, IMO.

the software did indeed suck.

I still dont think I should have to replace ANY phone 4 times because of cheap parts..just sayin.
    I'm a Pre gal now
  17.    #17  
    Awesome! :sarcasm:

I cant get my replacement until they are done "migrating my account to the new billing system"

I have been waiting since last Thursday and the "migration" isnt expected to be completed until atleast the 13th.

ugh! Sprint!

If it werent for my SERO plan I woulda left them a lonnnng time ago!
    I'm a Pre gal now
    In that case, I think you sig might be in need of an update.
    How come you went from the 755p to the Centro?
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    How come you went from the 755p to the Centro?
    form factor and my 755 had massive lag

Quote Originally Posted by biscuit141 View Post
    In that case, I think you sig might be in need of an update.
    youre right!
    I'm a Pre gal now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast