1.    #1  
    After 3 days of intensive searching I have figured out that my switching to AT&T I have condemned myself to having all text messages sent from an email address come through as 10101000# instead of the actual sender

Are there any 3rd party SMS apps out there that might help me group my incoming messages a little better? I just grabbed a trial version of PictureSMS but it doesn't seem to let me do what I'm looking for, does anyone use any other alternative messaging apps?
    SMSPager
    AgendusMail

Those are a couple apps that do sms "handling".

You would have to try them out to see if they do what you want.
    weird....i guess i haven't received a txt from an att centro yet.

i wonder why it would do this?

i guess it takes a company like ATT to screw up a good phone that works....
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by binder View Post
    weird....i guess i haven't received a txt from an att centro yet.

i wonder why it would do this?

i guess it takes a company like ATT to screw up a good phone that works....
    The only "explanation" I have been able to find about why they screw with your messages like this is that they replace the email address with the 10 digit number is to save you characters in your text messages. Since email addresses are normally more that 10 characters, this is supposed to let you see more of the message... The only problem with that theory is that they still include the email address in the body of the text message so you actually end up with 10 more characters and there is a greater chance of it spilling over into 2 messages so they can charge you for two texts instead of 1...

AT&T seems to do all they can to get you for as many text messages as they can... When I used to get email/text messages to my Sprint phones, anything past 160 characters was chopped off... You could reply with a special code to get the next 160 characters or the whole rest of the message if you wanted but you didn't have to in case someone just had a long signature or something... AT&T sends you the whole thing without asking and charges you a text message for every 160 characters... This really sux because I work for a health care company that has a legal privacy disclaimer signature that gets attached to the end of every outgoing email... The disclaimer alone is 408 characters, that's 2.5 messages right there not even counting the FRM:, SUBJ: and MSG: tags AT&T adds to all emails... OUCH!!!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    SMSPager
    AgendusMail

Those are a couple apps that do sms "handling".

You would have to try them out to see if they do what you want.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I had not seen SMSPager before and it looks like I might be able to get that to do exactly what I need!!