1.    #1  
    I have an unlocked unbranded Arctic 680 purchased from Palm directly but have blown the screen. I am looking at other units on eBay but most of them seem to be unlocked AT&T/Cingular versions. While this is not a huge issue for me since I am a AT&T subscriber, I like the anonymity of AT&T not knowing I am using a PDA since I have the MediaMax200 data plan and would like to keep it vs going with PDA personal plus messaging. I noticed on my account that when my SIM is in a phone purchased from AT&T (I have a RAZR I bought from them), the website (so I assume the network) knows it is in the RAZR, but if I put it in my Treo, the website (and I assume the network) doesn't know that I am in a PDA. Maybe I'm reading too much into this.......

Question is, since I have all the original CDs etc from my unlocked phone, if I buy an AT&T version can I install my unbranded ROM/FW on the branded phone?
    Why don't you just buy and replace the screen? It would be cheaper too.
    3Com PalmPilot Personal > Handspring Visor Deluxe > Palm Tungsten T > PalmOne Tungsten T5 > PalmOne Treo650

Current Device: Palm Treo 680 w/1.12 Cust1 ROM, 4GB SDHC, GlobalSAT GPS Receiver
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndy4eva View Post
    Why don't you just buy and replace the screen? It would be cheaper too.
    Don't have the tools to change the screen myself and I may be able to get one used for less than the new screen install.
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all,

Let's assume I already have a 2nd unit. Can someone answer my original question about loading the unbranded ROM/FW on a branded phone?
    You will need to unlock the AT&T phone and the ROMs are different for the Unbranded GSM phone and the AT&T. You can sync the phone using your old sync name and have your old applications load. Usually you need to put the passwords/activation codes back in.
  7.    #7  
    I know the ROMs are different. That's the crux of my questions. Maybe I'm a little slow with what you said, but can I load the unbranded ROM and FW onto the AT&T phone thereby making it a non-AT&T phone (except for the AT&T silkscreen on the outside)?
    no. They are different, internally.
  9.    #9  
    Really? Seems like a lot of work on the part of Palm to make two versions of the same thing. I understand firware differences, but hardware?
    The 680's I have worked with are all exeactly the same boards. Just firmware/software differences.
    PalmIII > PalmIIIx > PalmIIIxe > TRGPro > Handera 330 > Zire71 > Treo600 > Treo650 > Treo680 > Treo750 > Centro > TreoPro > iPhone 32GB 3GS