1.    #1  
    The folks at AT&T are saying the 680 is being discontinued. Is this true?

Is it just that AT&T is not carrying it anymore, or is Palm is going to stop making them? Anyone know when?

If Palm discontinues the 680, there won't be much to offer the GSM folks in terms of a palm os treo in the current form factor.

What happens when Palm discontinues a model? Does the price go down a lot on what they have left in stock?

Thanks.
    Of course, they want to sell you an iPhone which is more lucrative for them.

Anyway, the 680 is available with AT&T, I just talk to my own local AT&T rep but he also pushed the iPhone to me.

They also have Centro, maybe that's the reason why they could be stating that as well.
    I expect that the Centro is the reason. Why carry 2 phones that are virtually the same?
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms. Who's bringing the chips?
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by red-beard View Post
    I expect that the Centro is the reason. Why carry 2 phones that are virtually the same?
    I guess, except the fact that not everyone wants a centro (like me).
    Oh, I'm sure it's because Palm is about to release a 680 successor on AT&T. The specs sound really nice and the manager I spoke with said it was a beautiful phone:

HVGA screen
    128mb RAM
    Micro-SD
    Mini-USB
    624mhz
    WiFi (n)
    BT 2.0
    GPS
    3.2mp camera
    1/2 inch thick
    Magnesium body
    Palm OS 5.5.5
    $199 with 2yr agreement

... yep that's probably the reason.

Oh my, I just checked the calendar.
    Patrick Horne
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Oh, I'm sure it's because Palm is about to release a 680 successor on AT&T. ...

Is this coming out soon? What do you mean?
    Global Posts
    495 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    sarcasm

the only company that would release a phone like that in the next 2 years is Nokia Europe haha

well... we can probably look forward to a new GSM Treo with Palm OS at the end of the year or January because Palm's new OS! It will probably just look like the current 680 but with a 2.0mp camera, 3G, miniSD, 256MB on board memory, and bluetooth 2.0. that seems more reasonable considering their GSM Win. Mobile line with AT&T spec wise. I look forward to it actually.
    Aaron M. Fisher
    CEO of Sonicfish Consulting
    www.SonicfishConsulting.com

PDA/ Smartphones:
    Handspring Visor> Sony Clie SL10> Nokia N-Gage> Nokia 3300b> Treo 600> Treo 650> Treo 680> Nokia e71> Apple iPhone 3G> Palm Pre+
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whitenack View Post
    If you look at your calendar you will see it was April 1st. It was April Fools
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kimnish View Post
    If you look at your calendar you will see it was April 1st. It was April Fools
    Hahah. Now I get it.

And, to finish the joke...Palm doesn´t support 3G so we have to wail to a new OS
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    I spoke with my ATT Mobility Business Care Manager and they confirmed that the 680 will be EOL'ed (End of Life) on June 1st. The replacement is noted as being the Palm Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by LiveFaith View Post
    Oh, I'm sure it's because Palm is about to release a 680 successor on AT&T. The specs sound really nice and the manager I spoke with said it was a beautiful phone:

HVGA screen
    128mb RAM
    Micro-SD
    Mini-USB
    624mhz
    WiFi (n)
    BT 2.0
    GPS
    3.2mp camera
    1/2 inch thick
    Magnesium body
    Palm OS 5.5.5
    $199 with 2yr agreement

... yep that's probably the reason.

April fool or not, if it had a micro sd and made all my other media obsolete, I wouldn't buy it, no way, no how.