1.    #1  
    I bought a 700p on ebay a few days ago (for a really good deal!). It'll be my first Treo and my first smart phone . My dad has an iPhone..and my uncle (who I spend a lot of time with) has a blackberry. Time for me to join the club :P.

Anyways, I've been looking everywhere for some way to use wifi on the 700p. I haven't seen any hacked drivers for the wifi-sd...and I haven't seen any mod that makes the enora wifi sled work either. I was wondering if ANYONE is working on hacking the drivers, or if anyone knows whether there is a way to get the sled to work on the 700p? Has anyone heard if maybe they will make a new sled?

My treo will be here in a few days!!!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    No, No, and NO.

No WiFi.
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    1. Wifi means that users will not have to purchase data plans from the providers, so there is no motivation for them to approve it on their phones.
    2. Wifi is almost necessary on iPhones because they do not have broadband speed using the Edge network.

As long as the approval lies in the hands of the providers, unless Sprint, Alltel and Verizon have some kind of epiphany, my prediction is you'll never see wifi on a Treo.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    1. Wifi means that users will not have to purchase data plans from the providers, so there is no motivation for them to approve it on their phones.
    2. Wifi is almost necessary on iPhones because they do not have broadband speed using the Edge network.

As long as the approval lies in the hands of the providers, unless Sprint, Alltel and Verizon have some kind of epiphany, my prediction is you'll never see wifi on a Treo.
    1. Despite that, couldn't people just hack it? Who cares what the provider thinks! .

2. I understand about the iPhone. It would just be nice to use the internet when I'm at coffee shops or even in my own house.

And Verizon's data plan is SO expensive, I probably will never be able to get it!
    Global Posts
    689 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vidiot View Post
    1. Despite that, couldn't people just hack it? Who cares what the provider thinks! .

2. I understand about the iPhone. It would just be nice to use the internet when I'm at coffee shops or even in my own house.

And Verizon's data plan is SO expensive, I probably will never be able to get it!
    Let me guess, your parents still pay your cell phone bill...??
    "Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato
    Hi Vidiot

You should have done some research before jumping into that 700p.

You could get a Sprint unlimited data plan for less than half of what Verizon charges for data.

You could have bought a Treo with WinMo OS. (700wx) You can use WIFI on a WinMo Treo.

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Hi Vidiot

You should have done some research before jumping into that 700p.

You could get a Sprint unlimited data plan for less than half of what Verizon charges for data.

You could have bought a Treo with WinMo OS. (700wx) You can use WIFI on a WinMo Treo.

I did do my research and knew that even without wifi, the 700p was the best for me.

I'm on verizon so I'm not going to get another contract with a different company and keep paying for the contract with verizon when I'm not even using it.

And why on EARTH would I get windows mobile? Yuck! Palm OS is much better from my experience, and I'd much rather have palm os on a phone then windows mobile (which is slower as well). Plus there are much more apps and hacks written for Palm OS then windows mobile.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by akula34 View Post
    Let me guess, your parents still pay your cell phone bill...??
    Pretty much. On a family plan. (me and my mom are on that, my dad is with At&t and the iPhone ).
    So, if you are on a family plan and you wanted wifi, why did you not get the iPhone?

Wait, how could you get a 700p when that is only for a CDMA network and the iPhone (your dad) is on a GSM network? Which family has the Sprint plan? If you are with Sprint then Sprint's data plan using EVDO is closest to your wifi question.
    Ronbo

According to the bouncing Treo, the OP is on a family plan with his mom, who is on Verizon, not Sprint....

His dad is on ATT and the OP is not on his dad's plan...

You have to follow each of his posts to gather the little bits of information....

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Ronbo

According to the bouncing Treo, the OP is on a family plan with his mom, who is on Verizon, not Sprint....

His dad is on ATT and the OP is not on his dad's plan...

You have to follow each of his posts to gather the little bits of information....

My bad. Missed the fourth post.

Ok, 700P with Verizon, also CDMA with EVDO although data plan is much more expensive and restrictive than Sprint's at 5GB for $15/mo. Brand new 700p is $150 after rebate. Still not wifi but the speed is competitive and does not require that you be in a coffee shop or hotel wifi access.

Hmmm, OT, I cannot believe detail billing is a feature you have to pay if you want it.
  12.    #12  
    Well looks like reverse DUN will do the trick. Unfortunetly it will only be convenient here at home with Bluetooth set-up. The living room is only about 10 feet from my room so it will be nice to use it out there here and there.
    Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    there was a major effort to bring WiFi to a Palm OS Treo - I believe it started with the 600. The person creating the hack (who has provided us with several other vital/pricekess hacks) even had limited success I believe, but in the end, the result was more than one completely fried Treo. You may be able to search the forum to get the full story, Bottom line - no wifi for Treo POS