1.    #1  
    Hi, I hope someone can help me

"Some" sounds are not working (most of them). The telephone still "rings" when someone calls and the alarm still rings too. But, I can't hear a thing when I answer a call and the "speakerphone" icon is not showing up so I cannot try to use it.

I do not hear most other sounds, like when I try to play a song from the "multimedia" application, nor the "clicks" that you usually hear when navigating through applications, or game sounds.

I can hear everything with the headset plugged in (calls, games, music, "clicks").

However, I am not heard through the regular microphone, nor using the headset.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I had the same problem approx one week ago. It happened when I was listening to Pocket Tunes and a phone call came in and I unplugged my jack that connected the Treo to my car stereo. After almost throwing my Treo out of the car window, I decided to fiddle with the jack slot a little by repeatedly inserting, twisting, and removing the audio jack and finally it cleared up. I believe the Treo was not recognizing when the audio jack was removed and was still "acting like" the jack was inserted into the unit, even when it wasn't. Good luck.
    There is a mechanical switch inside the jack that moves when the headset is plugged in. Occasionally it gets stuck. Inserting and removing the plug several times quickly in succession typically resolves this. If no joy, one drop of WD40 pn the plug (wipe off excess) will do it. Keep the plug clean.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the response! You might be just right. I "played" with the headset a little, plugging it in and out a few times and moving it around as I was doing that... And it started working.

So then I reinstalled the chip.. and stopped working again.. I hit the phone a couple times on the headset area, and it works now again. Can it be a loose connection?

Thanks again!
  5.    #5  
    Just saw the input from Detective.. Thanks guys! Definitely seems we are in the right direction..
    Quote Originally Posted by fmzamoranod View Post
    Thanks for the response! You might be just right. I "played" with the headset a little, plugging it in and out a few times and moving it around as I was doing that... And it started working.

So then I reinstalled the chip.. and stopped working again.. I hit the phone a couple times on the headset area, and it works now again. Can it be a loose connection?

Thanks again!
    This is only temporary!!!. It fail's ultimately.

Solution:
    Sent it for replacement, if it is within warranty period
  7.    #7  
    Unfortunatelly, it was more "temporary" than what I hoped for.. It failed today again.. So, I'll have to fight for the guarantee...

Thanks again!
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    It has been happening to be for the pass 1 week. Read from somewhere that blowing into the headset jack would help and it works but temporarily. I have to blow into the jack once a while. WD40 didn't help either.

Is there a way I could disable the headset jack permanently...?

Matt
  9.    #9  
    Sorry to hear that. I have not been able to do anything else that get's it to work now. I do not want to open it up myself.. so it is going to service tomorrow...
    Regards
    This is definitely a hardware problem with the microphone/headphone jack in the bottom of the phone. You might get your sound to work again by inserting your headphone jack in and out, or by jiggling, but I found that sooner or later the sound cuts out again (typically when you are in the middle of an important phone call). Mine was still under warranty so I got a replacement from Palm. However, I have resigned myself to never plugging my headphone jack into this new phone. The same problem may not happen again, but I'm not going to risk it.
    Try searching for this same problem on the Treo 650 board. Same jack. Palm doesn't care.