1.    #1  
    I have not been able to find my problem in the 755P forums. When I press the side button (the one below the volume keys) I get an error message saying: "Error retrieving number of commands". i have to press OK to clear that and then I have to repress the side button to clear another dialogue that has not words. until i do this my phone wont' do anything else. No reboot is necessary, but becuase of the location of the button I hit it a lot. i have tried switching the settings for the button from launching my camera, to the web, to preferences and nothing changes. I have done at least one hard reset and reinstalled. Does anyone recognize this problem or have an idea for how to solve it? I am wondering if i am the only one since I didn't see other postings, but the same thing happened with my 700P that I had for a few weeks.
    That definitely sounds strange and can't say I've heard of it before. Since you've already tried changing the button definition, could their be some 3rd-party app that is trapping the button press (and therefore coughing up the message).

If not, I'd guess something is corrupt in the Saved preferences.db file. I know you said a hard reset, but perhaps an old prefs db from backup was restored (which itself might've been corrupt).

HTH
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    That definitely sounds strange and can't say I've heard of it before. Since you've already tried changing the button definition, could their be some 3rd-party app that is trapping the button press (and therefore coughing up the message).

If not, I'd guess something is corrupt in the Saved preferences.db file. I know you said a hard reset, but perhaps an old prefs db from backup was restored (which itself might've been corrupt).

HTH
    What should I do to fix this. It is pretty annoying and since it was happening on my previous Treo it is probably something that was restored as you say. is there something I could delete to fix it?
    I think finding what to delete is the first step - much easier than doing a hard reset and reinstalling everything one-by-one.

What 3rd-party apps do you have installed?
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
  5.    #5  
    I think finding what to delete is the first step - much easier than doing a hard reset and reinstalling everything one-by-one.

What 3rd-party apps do you have installed?
    I have the following installed:
    Tryda
    AI roboform
    dbfixit
    googlemaps
    handyshpr
    initiate
    Chapura Keysuite
    ptunes (came with ROM)
    Snappermail
    volumecare

I have 49.8M free
    I'm familiar with TryDA, dbfixit, googlemaps, pTunes, and volumecare, so I doubt it's any of those. Looking through the AI roboform doc, I think we can rule that out as well.

Of the remaining, I'd guess initiate since launchers have a tendency to hook into lots of things (like the prefs db). Compared with the other apps, it shouldn't be too hard to remove it and reinstall later. Just make sure you do a soft reset after it's uninstalled.

This is mostly educated guesswork, so I hope it helps.
  7.    #7  
    I'm familiar with TryDA, dbfixit, googlemaps, pTunes, and volumecare, so I doubt it's any of those. Looking through the AI roboform doc, I think we can rule that out as well.

Of the remaining, I'd guess initiate since launchers have a tendency to hook into lots of things (like the prefs db). Compared with the other apps, it shouldn't be too hard to remove it and reinstall later. Just make sure you do a soft reset after it's uninstalled.

This is mostly educated guesswork, so I hope it helps.
    First of all you are officially a genius. Deleting Initiate solved the problem that I have had for over a year (probably since I installed Initiate). I learned about Initiate on this forum so I am suprised it would cause that problem and no one else would mention it, but the problem is solved. i don't really need initiate anyways so all is well. Thank you.
    I'm happy to hear it was resolved. Rob over at HobbyistSoftware is a great developer, so if you liked initiate, don't give up on it. The problem was likely a one-time glitch, so a clean install probably wouldn't bring the problem back.
  9.    #9  
    I'm happy to hear it was resolved. Rob over at HobbyistSoftware is a great developer, so if you liked initiate, don't give up on it. The problem was likely a one-time glitch, so a clean install probably wouldn't bring the problem back.
    I may try reinstalling it though I installed it a number of times and had the problem repeatedly.
    That's really odd. I'd double check you are using the latest version (v3.38) and report it to Rob. He's always been very responsive for me and the rest of his customers.