1.    #1  
    Finally leaving my unlocked 680 for the AT&T Centro...

So given the spec similarities between the 680 and Centro, is it that important to install everything one at a time, or can I just treat the migration the same as a "restore" (after one of my many 680 hard resets) and get all my apps etc onto the new Centro all at once?
    Every one of us thinks there will be no problem when we do this and sometimes there is no problem and sometimes there is a problem.

If you want no problem at all, then do it one at a time. Chances are there will be no problem if a restore is done, but there just might be. Also, the teenie tiny cards are really picky. Often times they want to be formatted in the device the are to be used in - and sometimes that takes a few tries.

All of your apps if they are up to date should work without a problem except those that are specific to that particular device - sometimes that means changing the license or migrating to another device, as with Mundu or Kinoma, et cetera. If you keep the same device name, other than those listed exceptions and similar situations, your applications should work ok.

Ben
    At home I sync my Treo 650 using the Palm desktop to sync everything, but at work I sync the same Treo with Outlook.

I'm just wondering:

Should I remove the old Palm software from my computer at work, and then install the new one that comes with my Centro? Then I could sync over and get the PIM databases from Outlook data and 3rd party apps one at a time until I get everything working again on the Centro. What do you think? Will the version of Hotsync Manager and Palm Desktop work just fine with the Centro, or should I replace it with the new ones that come with the Centro?

At home I have another computer, so I'm just planning to sync the Centro with one computer and the Treo 650 with the other. One reason I was thinking of doing this is because it might be advantageous to keep the same hotsync name on my new device as the old one.

If I call Palm support, I wonder what they will tell me to do?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
  4. Q
    Global Posts
    774 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Will the version of Hotsync Manager and Palm Desktop work just fine with the Centro, or should I replace it with the new ones that come with the Centro?
    You're better off loading the version that comes with the Centro.

At home I have another computer, so I'm just planning to sync the Centro with one computer and the Treo 650 with the other. One reason I was thinking of doing this is because it might be advantageous to keep the same hotsync name on my new device as the old one.
    Why? Why have the same data on 2 smartphones? Yes, keeping the same HotSync name will mean you can split which apps you run between the two. Unless you're keeping the 650 as a backup, though, there's no clear reason from what you've said to sync that one once you get your data transfered over to the Centro.