Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Several questions concerning software for my new 755.
    1.Can you stream internet radio with the standard version of Pocket Tunes?
    2.What can you do with Pocket Tunes Deluxe that you can't do with Kinoma?
    3. If you could only have one of the two, which would you buy?
    4.Thanks.
    5.Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.
    Quote Originally Posted by gklewis View Post
    Several questions concerning software for my new 755.
    1.Can you stream internet radio with the standard version of Pocket Tunes?
    No, you can't...I don't think.

You can stream video with Kinoma and not with PTunes Deluxe.
    Kinoma can stream audio and video...but can not play music in the background like PTunes does. IIRC. I'm a PTunes Deluxe user.

I would say it all depends on your needs. It depends on your needs. If you're more of a video person then Kinoma is more up your alley. I'm more of an audio/music person so PTunes Deluxe is my joy. The built in version of Kinoma is sufficient for me.

4.Thanks.
    5.Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.
    No apologies...doesn't bother me.
    As Ohappydaye stated above so perfectly, it depends on your needs. I own both, since I use both audio and video on my treo. PT Deluxe will stream internet radio (the standard one on the 755 will not) and I love the interface and changeable skins of PT. But Kinoma will also play flash video, which I have a ton of stored on my card; little cuties that I downloaded from YouTube and such. Plus Kinoma has an awesome Media Guide, with bookmarks of all kinds of interesting things like webcams around the world and links to mobile YouTube and Google Video. So, for me, I must own both.

Kinoma is inbedded I believe in ROM of the 755 but you just can't pull it up as a player yourself. But if you google Kinoma 4 for Palm I believe there are discounts if you buy Kinoma 4 for installation to the 755.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    I would go with Kinoma.

Why:
    - I listen to podcast. I used to download them to my iPod and listen to them on it...got to be tedious process (but I could still do this and just use PT to play them). With Kinoma, I can either stream the podcast or use Kinoma to download it to my Centro and then listen to the MP3 file. The cool thing about streaming is that Kinoma keeps track of where I stop, so I can re-start later and not miss anything. Note: it does not track location on MP3 files.
    - I listen to Internet Radio with Kinoma in the car around town and sometimes when I am working off site. It does not allow you to listen in the background, but that isn't a issue for me (I am doing something else off of the Centro). I could use PT here just as well...but I think Kinoma has more pre-programmed stations.
    - Youtube access...I don't do this often, but it has been useful from time to time.
    - Webcams - my son and his friends like to check in on the panda-cams at the National Zoo.

Plus with the Kinoma discount, it's a lot cheaper ($15 I think).

I guess the big question is: If all you want to do is listen to Internet Radio, do you want to be able to listen to it in the background while you do something else in the foreground on the 755P? If the answer is yes, go with PT, otherwise go with Kinoma.
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    I'd get both. I use Kinoma for video and some audio streaming and PTunes for almost all audio streaming because of the background play support.
    2 - stream anything in the background - this is huge for me.

3. - Pocket Tunes Deluxe.

I'll admit the video streaming in kinoma is nice, but my primary usage is all podcasts, either downloaded or streamed live. If your phone is set to check your email automatically (whose isn't???) - using kinoma is an exercise in frustration. Get an email? Restart your stream. Get another email? Restart your stream.

My $0.02 worth is that if you even vaguely use your smartphone as a multitask device you are going to want PocketTunes. I get a high volume of email, and can surf, compose/read email, work up documents or whatever while listening to whatever it is i'm listening to uninterrupted with PocketTunes.
    I agree with Senjiro, though I do have both installed on my device, pTunes is the one used most.

Ben
    I use both, as well as TCPMP. They have different uses, of course:

- Kinoma: I watch quite a bit of video (youtube, mostly).
    - pTunes: always great for background music / internet radio play.
    - TCPMP: I use that for video (avi) that I have stored on my card.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    But if you google Kinoma 4 for Palm I believe there are discounts if you buy Kinoma 4 for installation to the 755.
    Correct, and here's the exact URL for details:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/10/how-t...rade-discount/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Kinoma Notes blog | Subscribe to blog (email) | Subscribe to blog (RSS) | Follow Kinoma for news/content alerts | Follow KinomaTips for tips/tricks
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles@Kinoma View Post
    Correct, and here's the exact URL for details:

http://blog.kinoma.com/2007/10/how-t...rade-discount/

-- Charles Wiltgen
    Thanks and sold. Does Pocket Tunes Deluxe have a discount like this?
    Thanks and sold. Does Pocket Tunes Deluxe have a discount like this?
    The company doesn't, that I know of. But most of the forums have stores that offer anywhere from 20-30% off all the time. And the plus side is that PTunes allows you to trial the app and see what it does and if you truly need it before buying it.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    I'd get both. I use Kinoma for video and some audio streaming and PTunes for almost all audio streaming because of the background play support.
    I agree! - my .02 cents.
    www.MouseGlider.com
    Come Glide with Us

Rock Solid and Stable - Sprint Centro and Treo 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    The company doesn't, that I know of. But most of the forums have stores that offer anywhere from 20-30% off all the time. And the plus side is that PTunes allows you to trial the app and see what it does and if you truly need it before buying it.
    I have never been able to do this on my 755p. No "Deluxe" trial ever works for me. It just starts regular PT - no internet streaming.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Nor for me; I cannot try the Deluxe ver.

BB
    Unfortunately you both are correct, the PT Deluxe version I think is geared for people who do not have PT at all; I bought it for my 650 which did not have PT onboard and it was fully functional EXCEPT for internet radio streaming and the playing of .wma files. I would get a screen that read that those functions would be available in the paid version. So be it.............. but you will NOT be disappointed, I don't work for Pocket Tunes but it is an awesome program. But then, so is Kinoma 4 player.

I bought my PT Deluxe on the Palm.com site, they frequently run software sales and I got is for a little more than $22 on sale.
    Last edited by dollface; 03/28/2008 at 10:03 AM.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Thanks, you are a Doll.

Palm is asking only $38!! That makes the reduced price upgrade look good.

BB
    ATTENTION, I just found this sale on the Handango site:

Pocket Tunes Deluxe
    Take your favorite music, audio books and podcasts with you wherever you go with Pocket Tunes Deluxe. Use code ENTERTAINMENT25 to save 25%
    Unfortunately you both are correct, the PT Deluxe version I think is geared for people who do not have PT at all; I bought it for my 650 which did not have PT onboard and it was fully functional EXCEPT for internet radio streaming and the playing of .wma files. I would get a screen that read that those functions would be available in the paid version. So be it.............. but you will NOT be disappointed, I don't work for Pocket Tunes but it is an awesome program. But then, so is Kinoma 4 player.

I bought my PT Deluxe on the Palm.com site, they frequently run software sales and I got is for a little more than $12 on sale.
    Internet audio streaming (in the background) would be THE reason I'd get PT Deluxe. It seems silly for that option to be disabled in the trial version.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.

I bought my PT Deluxe on the Palm.com site, they frequently run software sales and I got is for a little more than $12 on sale.
    That seems odd, about Deluxe being geared for ppl who don't have PT at all. I had the bundled version on both my TX and my 755p and was easily able to upgrade with no problem, by tapping the check for upgrades option in the menu on my TX. Now, that I think of it...I think they did offer me a discount price for upgrading from the bundled version. I can't be certain, but I think so. It's been so long now.

At any rate, glad you all have a price that works for you. Thanks dollface.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    That seems odd, about Deluxe being geared for ppl who don't have PT at all.
    I probably did not state that correctly, sorry. I guess I meant that I know for certain that the internet radio and .wma playback do not work in the trial verson of PT Deluxe. I bought it outright as the Deluxe version (for my treo 650), as I never had the onboard version. But that is a great idea to click on Check for Upgrades, just to see if they do offer a discount!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast