Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I thought I'd try out the Voice Control software that comes on the Centro, as I'd used Sprint's Voice Command service a while back and thought it was convenient. I'm not going to keep using the software, as it takes over the device and is no faster than just typing in an appointment by hand. After a couple of uses, I got suspicious about the data usage and looked around on here only to discover that it had uploaded all of my contacts to nuance. There was no warning when installing the software, nor can I find anything resembling a privacy policy about the data.

Does anyone know if it's just the contacts or did they take my calendar appointments, too? Now that I'm deleting it, I want to be absolutely sure that they delete all of the information taken from my device. Has anyone dealt with this? I'm rather incensed at both Palm and Nuance for such a flagrant privacy invasion without so much as an "are you sure?" message.

Thanks...
    Probably any contact, appts, etc.. that are used by the voice recognition were loaded on their server.

Hopefully they will have the Vsuite version available for the Sprint phones soon. That is made by VoiceSignal (who was later bought by Nuance) and does all the Speech Reco on the phone rather than a server.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Thanks, mogulman. I poked around on the Nuance website looking for contact information but they don't give any unless you create an account with them (which I'm not going to do). From what I have been able to find, it looks like they only upload the addressbook from your handheld to their servers.

For anyone who is curious or finds this post in a later search, or is having the soft reset problem from the expiration of the Voice Control trial, I think I have figured out how to clear your data from their database before you get rid of the Voice Control application. There is a function in the advanced options in Voice Control to reset your data. That button rebuilds your contact database on their server, according to the support page on their website.

I did a backup to BackupBuddyVFS, then deleted all of the files with an 'addr' creator ID. Once my address book was empty, I went into Voice Control's advanced configuration/preferences and used the 'reset data' to upload my empty address book to their server. Then I deleted Voice Control and restored the addressbook files.

Hopefully that did the trick. I hate having any user data floating out in the ether since so many companies have no clue about information security. The fact that they don't even mention user privacy or data security indicates to me that they're one of those companies.