1.    #1  
    Hi ALL. I'm new to the forum, but I'm an old palm user (and lover).
    I still have a Palm Pilot and a Palm V in perfect conditions, used to have a Tungsten T5, and recently bought a Treo 680.

I was dreaming with 680 for about a year, but after getting one I have to admit I was a litte disappointed. Get rid of carying around two gadgets (palm+phone) was a good thing, but I miss my Sony w810! Definitely, the Palm PHONE app lacks some things (most of them already covered on the "suggested next ROM fixes" topic). Anyway, I think it's just a matter of time to get used to it and find out some of the infinite ways to customize it for my needs.

One thing I always hated in Palm OS is it's file management.

After installing a couple apps you end up with a lot of unknown files. It is particulary troublesome when you want to remove an app, because you don't know which files where created or installed by this particular app.

I was trying to clean up some apps on my Treo 680 and wondering, is there a better way to manage installed applications?

Thanks in advance!
    NomadeRJ
    SafeGuard has a feature that allows you to see what all the files are that are associated with a particular app. Not sure if it will help with leftover files though. Uninstall Manager claims to keep track of all files associated with an app, for possible deletion. However, I find that it still misses some files at deletion. For example, as a beta tester for SafeGuard I would often have to delete the old version before installing the new one. Invariably I would find some of SafeGuard's files still on the device after deletion. The safest way to get rid of unwanted files is to back everything up, hard reset, and then do a selective restore of the apps, preferences, etc. you want on your device. Better yet you can even do a clean install of each of the apps. I found another 20 MB of space when I did this about a month ago.
    Don't know if this is too elementary, but I've cleaned up and cleaned out some of those random weirdly named files with some success myself. I go to Google, and search on "Palm" and the name of the file name. The search hits reveal what app the file is/was associated with. Then I know whether I can delete it. Not a perfect method, but it's worked for me.
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    SafeGuard has a feature that allows you to see what all the files are that are associated with a particular app. Not sure if it will help with leftover files though. Uninstall Manager claims to keep track of all files associated with an app, for possible deletion. However, I find that it still misses some files at deletion. For example, as a beta tester for SafeGuard I would often have to delete the old version before installing the new one. Invariably I would find some of SafeGuard's files still on the device after deletion. The safest way to get rid of unwanted files is to back everything up, hard reset, and then do a selective restore of the apps, preferences, etc. you want on your device. Better yet you can even do a clean install of each of the apps. I found another 20 MB of space when I did this about a month ago.
    Two part post:

PART 1: SafeGuard file deletion
    In version 2.04 and beyond of SafeGuard, all SafeGuard related files are auotmatically removed when you remove SafeGuard from any deletion method.

PART 2: File Cleanup
    It is nearly impossible to completely track the owners of files on a Palm device. The only method available is an idenfication called the CREATOR ID. Every application on a Palm device has a creator id that is supposed to be unique. Through this creator id, applications and their assets can be tracked and identified. But an application can create files that have a creator id different than its own creator id. Applications can also have several parts to them (like SafeGuard) that all have different creator ids. So in sutuations like this, it is impossible to know what application a particular file belongs to if the creator id of the file does not match an installed application's creator id. So utilities like Uninstall Manager and others really can't do anything but make associations based on creator ids (this is by the way exactly what the default launcher's delete utility does). The danger is if you start deleting files whos creator ids do not match an installed application, very unpredictable things can happen.

Typically, left over files are not large and don't pose any device problems. The only sure way of removing old orphaned files is to follow Treo Musketeer's advise - hard reset your device and reinstall each application from scratch. Otherwise you risk removing a file that is needed by some application.

Hope this helps!

Jeff
    In addition, Uninstall Manager from www.northglide.com is another excellent application. Ben