1.    #1  
    I drop kicked my 650 and am getting it replaced with a 755. They first told me I'd be getting a 700, but I nicely asked if I could get a 755 and they said no problem. My question concerns how to change over. I basically just want my contacts and maybe some songs from my card. I dont have a backup program installed and was just wondering where to start. Thanks.
    Try using the free nvbackup or backupman and do a full backup of your 650 to your card and (even though they take two different sd cards) you can transfer your backup to a computer and when you get the new phone just copy the backup to your new card and do a restore of what you want. Complicated I know.. or you can just hotsync but when you get your new phone it will replace everything from your 650 to your 755 which you don't want.

If you need help doing this just let me know
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the help. They tell me it might take a few days to get the 755 in. I can't wait to see what kind of an upgrade this phone is.
    You'll first need to install the Palm Desktop software for the 755 over the desktop software for the 650 on your PC. Then you can use the same user ID as the 650 and hotsync the calendar and contacts, if that is all that you want. It is recommended to install any 3rd party stuff once at a time onto the 755 to avoid any conflicts. It is also a good opportunity to install the newest versions of any apps you want to use. Enjoy the 755, it is awesome.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.
    Quote Originally Posted by syphex View Post
    Try using the free nvbackup or
    Have you tried this? NVBackup doc say it may or may not work...
    Quote Originally Posted by dollface View Post
    You'll first need to install the Palm Desktop software for the 755 over the desktop software for the 650 on your PC. Then you can use the same user ID as the 650 and hotsync the calendar and contacts, if that is all that you want. It is recommended to install any 3rd party stuff once at a time onto the 755 to avoid any conflicts. It is also a good opportunity to install the newest versions of any apps you want to use. Enjoy the 755, it is awesome.
    I agree that this is likely the most effective way. I've read that NVBackup would not back up to a different device. I think I've heard/read Pruss himself saying so...thought I could be incorrect. If you hotysnc the current device first and then follow these instructions your basic PIM info will move to the new device....contacts included. I would also recommend renaming and moving the backup folder for the 650 to your desktop...to ensure it doesn't sync anything else.

As far as the songs, it'd be as simple as transferring them to your desktop along with any other info you want from it, formatting the card in your new device and then moving the music files back over to the card and popping it back in the new Treo.

Easy peezy.
  7.    #7  
    Failed to mention/didn't realize that my card reader went down with the phone. The computer still powers up and I can hotsync, so it looks like the hotsync and installing the new software method will be the way to go to get my pim/contacts stuff over. Thanks all!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohappydaye View Post
    I would also recommend renaming and moving the backup folder for the 650 to your desktop...to ensure it doesn't sync anything else.
    I'm not sure I understand this part. Somehow I got my phone within 20 hours of making the claim! I hotsynced my old phone(650). Now do I need to move a backup folder out of my desktop software before installing the new software over the old? All I'm hoping for is to get my contacts and calender stuff over. I'll worry about programs later.
    Quote Originally Posted by gklewis View Post
    I'm not sure I understand this part. Somehow I got my phone within 20 hours of making the claim! I hotsynced my old phone(650). Now do I need to move a backup folder out of my desktop software before installing the new software over the old? All I'm hoping for is to get my contacts and calender stuff over. I'll worry about programs later.
    Rename your C:\Palm\[your truncated hotsync name]\Backup folder to something like OldBackup, Today'sDateBackup, or [your old Palm model, like T3]Backup. I prefer to also move it to computer desktop so that I do not have a snowball's chance of confusing it with any other backup folder. Failure to perform this step will ensure horrible results.
    Then install your new palm deskstop, hotsync your device. It will ask you if you are syncing to the old hotsync ID. If you do all of your PIM info will come over. No problem.

Some will say it's not necessary, but it is recommended. I'm not one to take risks with the possibility of corrupted preferences and the like. YMMV.
  10.    #10  
    Ok, I was only able to find the backup file through Windows explorer and not in the Palm desktop program. I went to ...palm/lastnamefirstinitial/backup and cut and pasted all of the data to a new file in my documents on my pc. I left the backup folder where it was and empty. I also deleted all of the stuff(from within the palm desktop) that I didn't want carried over. So should I be good to go as far as installing the new Palm software?
    right, the backup folder is in the Palm folder under Programs on your PC. Actually, all you had to do was rename that backup file, rename it anything (I renamed mine Old Backup) then when you install your new desktop software for the 755 and do your first hotsync, it will ask you if you want to use an existing username or create a new one. Pick to use the existing username and then it will ask if you want to sync just the calendar and contacts, or everything - choose just the calendar and contacts. Now you also at this point have the option to sync your calendar and contacts from Outlook, instead of the palm desktop program, if you want. I use Outlook on my PC for everything, calendar, email, contacts, so that is what I sync to my treo. Anyway, do your first hotsync and only the calendar and contacts will transfer over.
    Sprint Treo 755p (blue) with SanDisk 2GB miniSD card. some of my apps installed: TakephOne, DateBk6, 2Day, 4Cast, BellTime 1.0, Palm PDF, Pocket Tunes Deluxe, Kinoma 4, TCPMP, Webmessenger, Card Reader, Slingplayer Mobile, Mobipocket Reader, PS Memo, Virtual Piano, Resco Backup, Cleanup, Uninstall, Destaller, Virtual Piano, Favogo, Snap, Thesaurus, TryDA, Colorize, ChatterEmail, DBFixit, Icon Manager, Noah Pro Dictionary, zLauncher, FileZ, RNS Cuckoo Clock, 25 games.