Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Palm just released the (white) Centro in India

Quite extraordinarily, the price is reasonable, unlocked @ ~$US350, not like the wildly over-inflated prices Palm products generally attract here. Unfortunately Palm has zero public recognition in India, so the price wont be enough to spark a sub-continent-led resurrection of the company.

At least I will be able to get my hands on one to decide whether I can cope with the smaller format.

cheers
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Watch-out! Centro... Here I come!

But wait! It will probably cost 900 USD retail, going by my 680 experience that had a list price of Rs. 14,400/- (~356 USD) and selling price of Rs. 33,500/- (~830 USD) in authorized stores. Of-course, I never got around to buying it. I wrote to Palm about this and they sent me a general survey questionaire. Great service Palm, no wonder BB (yuck!) owns India...

Edit: But still... Centro = aGPS... WOW!!!

Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenHex View Post
    But wait! It will probably cost 900 USD retail, going by my 680 experience that had a list price of Rs. 14,400/- (~356 USD) and selling price of Rs. 33,500/- (~830 USD) in authorized stores.
    Maybe that's the State taxes??? If so that would be a bit of a bummer for me b/c Karnataka has some of the worst for anything IT. And going by how much the state taxes increasingly multiply the domestic airfares, anything is possible...
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Hey TRgEOff... Just walk down to Kroma... if they still have the 680 can check out the price and ask for an explanation. I did, but they were too irritating for me to continue my enquiry. You can even show them the Palm website if their network is working at that moment...

I doubt if there are any taxes on mobile phones that qualify for zero import duty. State taxes should never be more than 12% more likely 4% (the Indian government is not so greedy). How can anything cost more than double its list price? Must be the mark-up... which for such things is approx 40%.

I also did not get any answer from the local authorised dealer (name and address listed on the Palm website... I think they are just "fillers" to make an impressive website... there is nobody at the other end).

The magic number (according to me) is Rs. 9000/- or slightly more than 200 USD. The lowest BB (yuck!) sells for around Rs. 9500/- and everywhere you find them.

I'm hoping the 680 will be drastically marked down in price... as it is infinitely better looking.
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    thanks Greenhex

I just rang Srinath here (distributor for Shiva Govinda- the Bangalore dealer listed on Palm India site) and he said the price will be 13,990 +4% tax. His number is 9880077500 if you want to talk to him - quite a friendly guy.

A question: I noticed on the Palm site that for the 750 they talk about HSDPA being available "Within HSDPA mobile data service coverage area only." Do you know if any actually exist here?

Edit: oh dont worry about that qn- I keep forgetting that the 750 is WM!!
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    No HSPDA in India yet... the change-of-guard at the center killed that one, else we could have had it at least a year ago. Hell, I even have an 3G phone (Nokia 6650), bought in anticipation for that event, but it has its other charms...
    You will not be disappointed with the Centro. Being a Treo user since the 300, the Centro is far from being what most consider an "entry level" device - it works very well in a work environment. I just wish I could find a skin for it.

Ben