Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am switching to Chatopus from Mundu...

So far Chatopus seems SWEET, (much more stable)..

hint: use foxybana.com for a (auto-import/.transport) of your AIM/YAHOO/MSN accounts... simple auto-working.

Anyhow, my question is: does this program use DATA or SMS to connect?

And how does this porgram perform with "auto reconnect" ???
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    I'm testing Mundu now (coming from Causerie). What don't you like about Mundu, and what do you mean when you say Chatopus is more stable?
    Quote Originally Posted by trim81 View Post
    I am switching to Chatopus from Mundu...

So far Chatopus seems SWEET, (much more stable)..

hint: use foxybana.com for a (auto-import/.transport) of your AIM/YAHOO/MSN accounts... simple auto-working.

Anyhow, my question is: does this program use DATA or SMS to connect?

And how does this porgram perform with "auto reconnect" ???
    Chatopus has no reconnect. Not after a phone call, not after a data reconnection, and not after a Treo reset.

Unless this has changed. If it has, let me know. It's the single biggest problem with Chatopus.

BTW, Gizmo is a free version of Chatopus, just have to use their server.
    Yep, chatopus is great except for the reconnect issue. IMHO, Mundu is still the best overall solution. If Mundu only had time stamps like Chatopus.
  5.    #5  
    I am really lovin Chatopus...

Correct, Chatopus does not reconnect...but I am so used to manually connecting to both my AIM server and chatteremail right after a phone call...that its only natural for me to reconnect manually.

here is my review so far:.. on a cdma treo 755p sprint, the data drops in a 6min voice call. from the 1-5min, all backgrounf IM messages are delivered offline (readable when you reconnect with Chatopus)...after the6min mark, your connection dies and you are DC from chato ----(same goes with all IM clients, as data and voice cannot coincide)

What I do for the above is: I set AIM to autoforward to my SMS when offline..so when I switch into voice mode, my chatopus dc and messages are forwarded to my sms... --been doing this forver (since verichat) ---and I must say, chatopus and aim sms forwarding is 100% deliverred (thus far)...even verichat or mundu was not completely 100% for me.

I also like to rave how Chatopus is not bloated like Mundu..this is my first time using a Jabber (or even setup a Jabber account), and I must say, Jabber is frickkin awesome!!

I went ahead and deleted Mundu on all my familys' and friends' treos (about 15 so far) and installed Chatopus... everyone was complaining how slow Mundu was (we all have about 200 buddies to load)

--i do wish that there were file transferring, and a better GUI...and the option to choose my own sound, but so far I am really pleased..

I also like to give webmessenger a try though.. anyone have comparisons or screen shots of webmessenger?

+++posting from a treo, forgive the grammer/spelling+++
    FWIW, I've had problems where Chatopus will disconnect from a registered service. It really happens frequently to yahoo, less for others. For example, I'll leave Chatopus running for several hours without loosing the data connection. I'll look and I'll still be connected to AIM and MSN but my yahoo service has disconnected. It's really a pain in the rear and sometimes it happens faster than others.

I'd be interested to know if you experience this.
  7.    #7  
    @peter

I am running a Jabber server called foxybanana.com ---from my understanding, it does the transport from the server...so yahoo will not drop

--it hasnt for me.
    I primarily use the gizmo server and somehow the transports loose connection. Not sure how but you know how each transport appears as a user in Chatopus. Well they'll be connected and eventually go to an offline status. The only way to get it back online is to disconnect and reconnect to the server. This happens with a few other jabber servers I've tried too. The yahoo transport is the worst and AIM seems to be the best. I'll try the foxybanana.com server and see how it works.

Thanks for the info!
    Yeah, you are a bit at the mercy of the Jabber server for gateways.. That's why I run my own. It might be better these days, but when I first started using Jabber about 4-5 years ago, no one server seemed to reliably have AIM, MSN, and Yahoo running at the same time. As least if I used my own server, I knew they worked!

But funny thing is, I only use it on the desktop... So far Jabber on the Treo hasn't been as good a solution as independent connections. Go figure.
    Well, so far I'm very impressed with foxybanana.com's servers. I haven't had any connection problems with the server or the transports. I'm using gtalk, AIM, MSN, and Yahoo.
  11.    #11  
    Curious- anyone try webmessenger?
    There's a some opinions about webmessenger in the big im thread. If I recall the first reviews weren't to good but they seemed to get a little better. Check out the last few pages here:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=webmessenger
  13.    #13  
    i cannot log in with the dam webmessenger login... so i gave up on it. -went back to Chatpous

another question I have, how do I setup an IRC transport?

Not sure how it works..but I want to be able to log in with an IRC chat room...will chatopus even allow this?
    i cannot log in with the dam webmessenger login... so i gave up on it. -went back to Chatpous
    user error.... They give you a login and password, it will work. I've set up mine and my wife's phone, didn't have a problem at all with that.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    user error.... They give you a login and password, it will work. I've set up mine and my wife's phone, didn't have a problem at all with that.
    I signed up for an account here:

http://www.webmessenger.com/downloads/register.htm

also, what do you have for server settings, if i may ask?

thanks

EDIT nvm, i logged in with the wrong credentials..lol

we'll see how this holds up
    Last edited by trim81; 03/22/2008 at 01:30 PM.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    i agree, i like chatopus as well.
    although it doesn't have hte bells and whistles as mundu, it stable, does what it needs to and nothing more.
    it doenst disconnect as often as mundu.
  17.    #17  
    chatopus is the best in my opinion...not as feature rich, but it does the job well.

A quick note.. Chatopus drains the battery alot from default..however if you change the "keep alive function" from default 30 seconds to 1min intervals, your battery life will increase much longer.

--IMs are still coming in properly with the 1 min server pinging option.
    if you change the "keep alive function" from default 30 seconds to 1min intervals, your battery life will increase much longer.
    How do I do this?
    Got to account setup.

I use 3 minute intervals without a problem with foxybanana.com
    Thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast