Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello all, this looks like a great forum. I'm getting my Centro "in 3-5 business days," though I've already played with my brother's new Centro. It's pretty amazing (I've never had a PDA before), it seems just about as powerful and capable (if not more) than my first desktop computer.

I just have a few questions if anyone feels like throwing out some info:

I don't buy the built in "permanent" screen protector claim. If it's permanent, than doesn't that defy the purpose? Anyone have any experience using an after-market protector and will it effect the screen's touch sensitivity much?

Anyone use linux w/their Centro?

I think all the software I've seen on the phone is great so far except I'm not so keen on Blazer. Is having a browser that can pan in and out so you can see the whole (albeit tiny) page like in the Iphone feasible with the Centro? From the little research I've already done it seems that there aren't really any decent stable alternatives to Blazer.

Well, I guess that's it for now,
    Alex
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Welcome to the Centro/Sprint club! I know you will enjoy your centro. As far as the built in screen protector I have had no problems. I don't use another protector for it. I know others here do and they can answer that for you.

Blazer is best on the centro. The others are not as stable as you have already researched.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    Hi Amm, welcome to the forum!

I did buy the "built in: screen protector claim and since October I do have 1 scratch, so if I were you, I would buy something.

I do not believe there currently is a Centro build of Linux but do check this site (http://hackndev.com/forum/3) for any developments in the area.

Browser-wise
    Nothing that truly shines but these are the most "desktop like" solutions
    Opera: needs JVM and is semi-stable with 8mb/32kb
    PalmVNC : set up a vnc connection to your computer to do the rendering on your desktop (note: palmvnc is an older app and to exit it you would need to press "option+home" instead of the typical "home")

Look for developments in the Universe browser from the daveloper, named David Kirker. He is working on building a webkit (like safari) based browser for palm os.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the welcomes and the replies guys, and thanks for the link and info ZeD. My original linux question was obviously completely unclear, all I meant was is anyone plugging their Centro into their linux computers. I'm quite happy with the PalmOS on Centro. It seems simple and functional, and I'm especially happy it's not MS!
    Last edited by amm888; 03/18/2008 at 12:14 PM. Reason: forgot a period (yes, I'm anal)
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I was able to sync the Centro to my Asus EEE using the included kpilot (Since Xandros on EEE is debian based, I assume everything should be fine on other major Linux distros out there)
    Quote Originally Posted by amm888 View Post
    I don't buy the built in "permanent" screen protector claim. If it's permanent, than doesn't that defy the purpose? Anyone have any experience using an after-market protector and will it effect the screen's touch sensitivity much?
    I like the Seidio ultimate screenguard. It's hard plastic (not soft), so it slides just as nicely with the stylus as if it wasn't on and doesn't absorb the touches.

Opera Mini 4 is pretty good for zooming in/out panning large pages and loading pages with a lot of graphic content, but you have to configure the JVM settings properly or it will be unstable.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    I was able to sync the Centro to my Asus EEE using the included kpilot (Since Xandros on EEE is debian based, I assume everything should be fine on other major Linux distros out there)
    Thanks for the info, I just downloaded and installed kpilot on my Ubuntu machine. Now all I need is my phone
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I like the Seidio ultimate screenguard. It's hard plastic (not soft), so it slides just as nicely with the stylus as if it wasn't on and doesn't absorb the touches.

Opera Mini 4 is pretty good for zooming in/out panning large pages and loading pages with a lot of graphic content, but you have to configure the JVM settings properly or it will be unstable.
    Thanks papped, I'll try it out once I find where to downlaod the JVM. It's no longer available through the Palm website. Perhaps Isohunt will work?

But from what I've read about Opera, it seems it's not that stable. How's your luck been with it?
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    For JVM try this link:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/81887520/JVM.zip.html

Even though I do have opera installed, 99% of the time i end up using blazer (in fast mode with CSS turned off for snappier response)
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by BaDZeD View Post
    For JVM try this link:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/81887520/JVM.zip.html

Even though I do have opera installed, 99% of the time i end up using blazer (in fast mode with CSS turned off for snappier response)
    Thanks for the link (in 0.4 minutes my download will be ready!) and thanks for the CSS tweak hint. My brother's seemed pretty quick as it was, but quicker is always better (at least, on the net).
    I had to tweak the settings to get it stable.

I set the default JVM settings all to minimum and set Opera Mini 4 to use it's own JVM settings. Check both checkboxes, 4mb + 16k I believe is what was stable for me.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I use 8/32
    With 8/32 I was getting a problem where after viewing several large pages I would sometimes hit a soft reset.
  14.    #14  
    Thanks for the Opera tips guys/gals (? - dang androgynous user names!).
  15.    #15  
    I'm looking to download Opera Mini 4 from the Opera site but it doesn't list Centro as a phone option. Which one are you guys using: just the generic version?

http://www.operamini.com/download/pc/palm/
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    I dunno, I just went to mini.opera.com from blazer and it autodetected the version I need...
    Speaking of Opera, I know that they are building/beta testing mini 4.5 for MS and Symbian. Anyone know if they will or are working on it for Palm? The new version is supposed to be MUCH faster with a new engine.
  18.    #18  
    UPDATE: I got some generic screen saver that I cut and pasted onto my Centro ("Sugar). The touch screen still works just fine and now I feel much safer.

I installed Java and Mini 3.somthing. : wouldn't work.

Installed 4.0 (generic Palm version) and now it works but it's kinda buggy. I prob don't have my settings right yet, but from what I've seen I prefer Blazer so far anyway.

I also installed MiniTones - now that's an awesome little free app. In case anyone doesn't know, it's used to trim MP3s and load them as ringtones. It's just perfect.

I'm only able to send mail through Versa through gmail, not any of my other accounts, so my next search will be for a good mail app. I also tried the sprint one that came with the phone. this one can retrieve my yahoo mail (free version) which is nice, but overall, I don't really like the program.

And I haven't been able to Sync my Centro on my Linux machine
    Last edited by amm888; 03/24/2008 at 06:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    The kpilot on my EEE was able to sync the Centro right out of the box but it did take a few tries to autodetect the Centro properly.

I tend to use the Sprint Mail app as it "pushes" my yahoo mail right to my phone.

Blazer for now is the best browser to use (until Universe comes out)
    Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    amm, you should also try playing around with different application launchers, I use TreoLnchr and love it
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast