Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast
  1. iii
    Does anyone have any info on whether the Centro will be available on the Verizon network anytime soon?
    no idea but it would be nice .
    My g/f has verizon and she's about to buy the venus.
    We would both much rather have her own a centro, she's always stealing mine to play super nintendo.

I would think it would have came out first before the GSM one considering verizon is CDMA.
    logically that is.
    Obviously not tho , which is *** backwards
  3. iii
    Sprint may have an agreement with Palm that precludes release of a Verizon CDMA version until a certain date. I was wondering if anyone had any info. I think the Centro is more stable than the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by iii View Post
    Sprint may have an agreement with Palm that precludes release of a Verizon CDMA version until a certain date. I was wondering if anyone had any info. I think the Centro is more stable than the 755p.
    having owned them all the treo's even before they were phones... (290 and on)
    I have to totally agree. its alot more smooth, and stable all around.
    Verizon is frustratingly slow in releasing new Palm devices. I'm still hoping they'll bring out the Centro. It's selling so well on Sprint, they'd be foolish not to. My new-every-two date is coming up, and I'd hate to have to switch to Sprint to get a Centro. But I'm certainly considering it! I've endured the 700p ever since it was released, tried out and rejected a Blackberry, so I'm itching to get a Palm phone that works well.
    Me too. My new every two is up soon and I really don't want to fork out what they're charging for the 755.
    Sprint had exclusive rights on the Centro that expired January 14th.

There have been no solid, confirmable rumors about the Centro coming to VZW.

It wouldn't surprise me if VZW does not ever offer the Centro. From what I've read the extremely late release of the 755P has a lot to do with why.

I'm not holding my breath on this one. I would love to see VZW get it, but I can't find anything to make it sound like it's going to happen. At least with the 755P there was information to be found. Just not so with VZW and the Centro.
    A user over at sprintusers.com said that verizon does not really want devices with Palm operating system and might be waiting out for the Treo 800w, which looks to be similar to Centro, but with windows and higher specifications.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    well, the door was further opened today given Verizon's announcement in their press conference that they are going full steam ahead with their perviously mentioned open-network policy, "Any Apps, Any Device".

should this be true, seems even if Verizon did not pick up the Centro and have it branded, this new policy 'might' allow one to bring the GSM AT&T model over.

guess we will see ow this pans out.
    why not the Sprint Centro?
    Both are the same cdma - would think it should fit right in with Verizon?

Maybe I am just hoping, cause am seriously thinking about it.
    Only problem is: with the new every 2, I can get a 755 for less than buying the Centro without a contract.

BUT, I don't think they will accept GSM, as that is not compatible to their system. Don't know, just doesn't seem likely.
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    well, the door was further opened today given Verizon's announcement in their press conference that they are going full steam ahead with their perviously mentioned open-network policy, "Any Apps, Any Device".

should this be true, seems even if Verizon did not pick up the Centro and have it branded, this new policy 'might' allow one to bring the GSM AT&T model over.

guess we will see ow this pans out.
    Except that the AT&T is GSM, and Verizon is CDMA, which are two different technologies and not compatible, from what I understand. However, one could bring over a Spring model, which IS CDMA.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping for it to appear on Alltel, but I'm not holding my breath. They just added the LG Rumor, which kind of fills the marketing niche for easy texting, and they seem to be moving away from Palm.
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    oops.. I meant Sprint, not AT&T.. my bad
    I talked to a verizon rep. and they do not want to release a centro because they just put out the 755P. he said maybe after a year they will release the centro. I looked at the big 3 carriers(verizon, sprint, AT&T) and verizon did not even come close the the data plans that sprint and AT&T offer. I left Verizon: and got a centro from sprint
    How can you be sure that this Verizon rep really knows anything about this? What's his position in the company? Reps in the stores, and even in the phone support centers, are not well informed about the company's plans.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    true that about store reps not knowing jack about companies plans. hell, I often know more about their phones than the store reps do. no joke.

that being said, you know.. the more i think about this.. an actual Verizon branded Centro.... the more I think it will not happen.

Simply because there are so many rumors, but not from valid sources. never any 'insider' slips. no photos. the only kind of legit 'rumor' - seen earlier - came from a pundit that did not work for Verizon and was just speculating about Verizon getting the centro. heck, when the rumors started flying about ATT - pictures even surfaced. and when new colors were rumored for Sprint, photos surfaced... in the case of Verizon, nothing is surfacing.

I have a Google Alert setup for 'Palm Centro Verizon' - and everyday it sends me the latest in any mention on the web, and for months now, nothing but that one pundits speculating comment was of any real value in this area.
    You may be right. If so, Verizon will be losing at least one previously loyal customer in a couple of months.

However, I remember just before the 700P came out, people were talking about the Sprint version for months, but Verizon ended up getting its version into the hands of customers a couple of days before Sprint's. Some pictures of the Verizon phone did surface, but not much before the actual release. Verizon seems to be better about keeping new products secret. On the other hand, they've been much slower than Sprint in making available maintenance releases and palm devices like the 755. But one can be patient only so long before abandoning ship.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    But one can be patient only so long before abandoning ship.
    thats it in a nutshell for me. the clock is ticking for me.

I have a new Ford Edge that has the Sync system. My Treo 650 works half assed at best. The Centro - for Sprint at least - is listed as working and also has BT 2 whereas the 650 has BT 1 (part of the Sync issue). So one would hope and assume an out of box Centro for Verizon would work with Sycn as well.

So, I have been holding out. But they kill me with how slow they are. And, though I must use a Palm... I have more and more been trying to find ways to port data - Memos, notes, ToDo, etc - over to something like the iPhone. (I think that ability is right around the corner as new apps will start to get built that are actually on the phone versus web apps only accessible via the internet currently.)

The 755p has known issues with the Sync.. but Sprint released a patch that fixed the Sync issues. Did Verizon for their 755p.. no
    Centro has a BT2 radio but the software is still only BT1.2 so I don't think there is much advantage to the BT2 radio if that is your sync problem
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deibelsan View Post
    Centro has a BT2 radio but the software is still only BT1.2 so I don't think there is much advantage to the BT2 radio if that is your sync problem
    yes.. that does appear to matter. 650 uses BT1 while Centro uses BT1.2. Plus, Centro has been tested to work with Sync and does. 650 has known issues and does not fully comply.

but, this is just 1 issues.

Simply, the 650 is big, bulky and now dated.
    Found this on HoFo...VERY PROMISING NEWS!!!

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/...atives-devices/

Rumor has it end of May/early June for VZW. Fingers crossed that this release date estimate is much more accurate than the original ones for the 755!
Page 1 of 20 12345611 ... LastLast