Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast
    I can't wait to see how the VZW Centro compares to the others on the market.
    Especially with the guesstimated price jump over the other carriers.

I'm not interested in getting a data plan just for an additional discount. My main concern is combining my PDA and phone so I don't have to carry 2 devices every time I go out somewhere.

I wonder if they would be willing to price match?
    My Evolution -
    PDA's: Palm Vx - Sony Clie PEG-T655C - Palm Tungsten E2
    Cellphones: Too many to count - Final phone was a Moto RAZR V3M
    Smartphone: First and only so far - Centro
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Centro-V View Post
    I'm not interested in getting a data plan just for an additional discount. My main concern is combining my PDA and phone so I don't have to carry 2 devices every time I go out somewhere.
    bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by Centro-V View Post
    I wonder if they would be willing to price match?
    hells no... I highly doubt that. you might be able to work a deal, but I doubt the angle to get it done would be "price matching"
    Went to Vzn store today (actually yesterday- Saturday) about another question (possibly adding another line)... and then asked about the Centro. Guy thought it might be released Friday but he wouldn't know for sure 'til right beforehand. Did not give me any hope that I could switch to the 29.99 data rate, in fact he seemed adament that I couldn't. Hope he is wrong, that is a bummer.

"Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    The Centro would be my 1st smartphone and there's no way i would pay $45 per month for data plan. I got o believe the Centro will be on $29.99 plan.
    I just think that it's stupid of Verizon to suggest charging that much for a phone that is already on the market for considerably lower price.
    My Evolution -
    PDA's: Palm Vx - Sony Clie PEG-T655C - Palm Tungsten E2
    Cellphones: Too many to count - Final phone was a Moto RAZR V3M
    Smartphone: First and only so far - Centro
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    yep... this pricing structure could change everything in my opinion.. heck, it might even change what I decide to do to be frankly honest. I have a low enough tolerance for their slowness to market with modern phone technology offerings, now.. to add some whacky seeming price structure and "upgrade fees" that may mean a higher price than other vendors of this same phone.. they may just force me to cast the only vote I can to show my disapproval.. bailing out on them. I have a NE2, which means I am no longer under contract.. so if they **** this whole deal up, I may have had my fill & can bail at no cost to me. I badly want to go the iPhone route but the inability to carry over notes, memos, todos and just existing Palm formatted data & native tools has been the only thing stopping me. But with the coming new, smaller, 3G model, and Apple finally opening up to making native applications - no more reason to only have web based applications, it might be the time and hold out with the 650 for a tad bit longer. LOTS of treo users went to iPhone and lots more 'want' to except for these limitations. I think opening up downloadable native applications you can house on your phone, which are in development, you can expect to see Treo app developers (or the kind) making porting solutions to bring that data over as arguably, the Palm is the most used PDA phone. No other phone has had as many apps made for it as the Treo, but now that the iPhone is opening up to developers, I think the iPhone will be the next Treo in terms of apps being made for it. If I saw iphone geeks making software that allowed me to keep all my legacy Palm data.. I am gone.. and this seeming pricing structure is just one more reason for me to want badly to bail out. I guess we will know in a weeks time, but I thought this whole deal was done for me.. until this slipped pricing structure this last week. it changes everything as that phone and the old technology is just not worth that kind of money nor being forced into a costly data plan for such out dated technology.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/08/2008 at 09:55 PM.
    May 30, 2008 "StyleTap officially confirmed that they plan to bring a version of its StyleTap CrossPlatform environment to the iPhone and the iPod touch platform. The move will essentially bring thousands of Palm OS apps over to the new iPhone platform."
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by floridatony View Post
    May 30, 2008 "StyleTap officially confirmed that they plan to bring a version of its StyleTap CrossPlatform environment to the iPhone and the iPod touch platform. The move will essentially bring thousands of Palm OS apps over to the new iPhone platform."
    yeah, I saw that last week actually on iphoneatlas.com... actually watched a video as well. experimental, long way off, and may only allow apps and not ported Plam data.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/09/2008 at 10:56 AM.
    just purchased my new vzw centro over the phone.she said I should have it in 3 days!.....
    PS-the ridiculous pricing plan is true and it totally sux!...but I wanted it so I was willing to pay....
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I just spoke to customer service at VZW. $269 is the price. $100 data discount and $70 MIR which gets us to $100.00 If you have NE2 then $0.

He said it depends on the store whether on not you can get one now or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by andybrownstl View Post
    just purchased my new vzw centro over the phone.she said I should have it in 3 days!.....
    PS-the ridiculous pricing plan is true and it totally sux!...but I wanted it so I was willing to pay....
    I just placed an order myself, the rep I spoke with was surprised the system let him do it. Unfortunately, he submitted the order with standard (rather than overnight) shipping before I could ask for it.

Ahh, what's another day or two, I've waited this long.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I just called and I was told they are not selling or shipping them now (as in today). they said they would take a preorder.. but would NOT guarantee when you will get it or even its release date and she said the web will get it first. she was even stunned that some rep told that guy above he would get it "in 3 days". yeah, yeah.. I know, you could call back and get a different rep and maybe they can, but she put me on hold, looked into it and said no dice with buying now and getting now. they could "preorder" now, but not promise it goes out ASAP, next day, next week or next month. classic.. left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing. and now that i called, I bet my account has been documented and if I try the call back trick, they will see what the rep told me and stick to it... I guess we will see if the 2 guys above actually get this phone when they were told they were and ahead of the rest of us.

also.. she confirmed 269 price - 100 for NE2 people -100 data discount - 70 rebate = $0 BUT of course you pay tax on the actual retail price so it is not really $0.

also, that $20 "upgrade fee" we have been reading about is not really true, it is relative to those doing an early upgrade and not an upgrade under NE2.. so in my case, no $20 fee but you might get it if you are not in a NE2 and just want to upgrade anyway. seems though that even if not in NE2 that $20 fee is negotiable and you "might or might not" have to pay it.

also told me you would NOT have to keep the data plan to get the immediate 100 data discount. just order the data plan on top of your plan, get phone, then cancel data plan a few days later, save $100 off the phone and not have to have a data plan every month you do not plan to use and there will be no sort of retro active fee. so that might be good news
    Last edited by eTard; 06/09/2008 at 12:45 PM.
    Any news regarding if its offered on $29.99 data plan?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    IIRC I think she said something like you could do a 10mb plan for 29.99 and get a $50 off data credit or a like $44 or 49 unlimited plan and get that $100 data credit... so she made it sound like to get that $100 data credit the plan was NOT 29.99, that 29.99 was for the lessor plan and thus, lessor data credit.
    I hope you are wrong about that. The $29.99 is for unlimited (5gig cap) not 10meg.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I can promise you that she said there were 2 plans and that 1 got you instant $50 credit and one got you instant $100 credit and I can promise you that she said that the plan in the 20$ range did not get you the $100 phone credit but a $50 phone credit. what I cannot promise you is the prices I recall her giving me - i.e., 29.99 and like 44 or 49.99 - nor the exact amount of file transfer. yeah, I pretty sure 10mb is likely wrong as that is pretty small amount. maybe she said 10gb.. I only paid minimal attention at that stage as I do not really care as I want neither plans and was more curious if I could sign up for a plan and then bail on it. that is all I cared about, but recall some of the details.
    why all the fuss....

isn't it like a known strategy to sign up for services at the beginning have it for a month or two then discontinue it if you dont want it anymore and you still have your discounted phone
    It's a big deal for the people who are getting and plan on using the data plan.

I called and was told that there is a $25 10meg data plan and the $45 one. She said that the $29.99 data plan was for BB only. This sucks if its true!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    It's a big deal for the people who are getting and plan on using the data plan.

I called and was told that there is a $25 10meg data plan and the $45 one. She said that the $29.99 data plan was for BB only. This sucks if its true!
    so I was right when I said 10mb?

yeah, I now recall her saying the only phone that 'requires' a data plan is the BB and maybe, because of that, they make a more affordable plan since you 'must' have one.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulls96 View Post
    why all the fuss....

isn't it like a known strategy to sign up for services at the beginning have it for a month or two then discontinue it if you dont want it anymore and you still have your discounted phone
    because maybe you can no longer use the claimed 'known strategy'... you think they would stop people from doing it, and maybe they have, so best to start to ask questions and make phone calls and get confirmation and verify you actually can use that 'known strategy' before it is too late and you are down the path of having bought a new phone, new accessories, new plan expecting to be able to bail on the plan but surprise.. can't do it anymore. now after all of that, you are stuck with having to pay monthly for a service you do not want. knowing this, and if they closed that loop hole, will help decide whether to get involved or pass.
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131419 ... LastLast