Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jas O View Post
    I wonder what the Verizon Centro has that ATT and Sprint doesn't for the extra $170.00??

Yeah, it is a lot. I suspect though, that Sprint and At&t are subsidizing their Centros. There is no way they are buying them from Palm for $99. And if you look at Sprint's financial picture for this year, it is pretty bleak. I guess Verizon isn't going to loose money. They probably won't market it as aggressively as Sprint, since they probably figure the POS will not be a big seller.

It would also be interesting to find out if this will qualify for their $29.99 mail and web plan. Personally, I'm happy with my 700P, but if I could get the Centro for a decent price, I would upgrade.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    but wait...some of us do not want an advanced data plan.. I do not need or want it...

I never saw anywhere else, ATT and Sprint, that part of getting that $99 price required you to get a data plan. i thought it was just (a) a great price (b) sign a contract... I neer knew part of that great price they sling all over the TV meant you had to get a data plan?
    Do we know for a fact that the $29.99 data plan will bring down the price by $100?

If it does that would make the deal for me!
    O.K. If all things are equal regarding the Centro's price, since I have a "new every 2" that I haven't used since I got my 650 about 3 or more years ago (so I may be able to get it for 99.99 or even less)...

What is the difference between the 49.99/month data charges I pay now and the 29.99 a month that is in the new plan? Is my plan truly "unlimited" and grandfathered? Or has it been reduced to 5GB/month like the new plans? What about push e-mail via Chatter... is that blocked by the new plans?
    Just trying to find out if it is worth it to go with the cheaper plan, or would I regret it later??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Has anyone else seen this?
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/1751-1.htm

Hmmmmmm. I guess with Palm's rebate and Verizon's rebate the price will be more acceptable.
    My Evolution -
    PDA's: Palm Vx - Sony Clie PEG-T655C - Palm Tungsten E2
    Cellphones: Too many to count - Final phone was a Moto RAZR V3M
    Smartphone: First and only so far - Centro
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    The pricing is 99 if you take the 269 minus 100 for data plan, and yes the 30/mo qualifies for this, then the MIR for 70. I might go for the 1 yr plan as then I can get one of the newer phones in 8 months. I am looking for the Centro to replace my 3 yr old 650 and tide me over till the next gen of phones. I think the new iphone ver 2 will be spurring many of the manufacts to to improve things. If you have never have used the browser on the iphone, you are missing out on what a browser on a phone could be. Way ahead of everyone elses.
    So $269 - $70 (MIR) - $100(data plan discount)=$99 -$50 (NE2) = $49?
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    This is HIGHLY optimistic and unreasonble speculation, but two things that Verizon *COULD* theoretically offer on their version of the Centro to justify the higher price are a higher-capacity stock battery (say, 1300mAh?) as well as an initial exclusive on the Google Mobile Maps location. The GMM feature in particular was something that Palm "promised" months ago but has not yet delivered (nor are they likely to ever).

Realistically, I think Verizon is just offering the Centro b/c everyone is is. They don't want to heavily subsidize it and are not expecting it to be a big seller. Look how they've basically ignored the 755p so far (and years ago, the 650). Verizon's never been a big advocate of Palm OS and is probably much more excited about the upcoming 800w than any low-end device running FrankenGarnet.

Remember, Verizon was one of the main catalysts for Palm getting onboard the WM bandwagon several years ago.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    When getting this phone with the data plan under contract, isnt it $99? the same on Sprint n AT&T. Hope you are right about it, but I would be surprise to see a larger battery on VZW Centro!
    If the SIM is under the battery on the ATT model (is it?), and there are no SIMS on Sprint & Vzn phones, maybe they could make the battery compartment a tiny bit bigger to fit a slightly bigger battery in??
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Two ways to look at VZW Centro launch date.

Friday the 13th or early Father's day gift!
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    but wait...some of us do not want an advanced data plan.. I do not need or want it...

I never saw anywhere else, ATT and Sprint, that part of getting that $99 price required you to get a data plan. i thought it was just (a) a great price (b) sign a contract... I neer knew part of that great price they sling all over the TV meant you had to get a data plan?
    Read the second to last bullet point (this is for a $50 rebate with Sprint)

http://www.nextel.com/en/promotions/mailInRebate.shtml

Mail-in Rebates from Sprint
    This offer is only available to customers purchasing via Sprint.com, Sprint Telesales and Sprint Customer Service.
    To accept your Sprint Rebate Offer for the purchase of your Sprint PCS phone(s), you must satisfy the following conditions:

REQUIREMENTS FOR ALL CUSTOMERS
    • Activate your new Sprint or Nextel device with a new one or two-year subscriber agreement (which determines your rebate amount) on each line of service by 6/28/08.

• Include your Sales Receipt or Packing Slip - must be dated between 4/20/08 and 6/14/08.

• Fill out the certificate in its entirety and certificate must be postmarked no later than 6/28/08.

• Cash your rebate within ninety (90) days of issuance.

• See rebate form for additional requirements.

• Data Plan of $25 or higher required for Smart Devices.

• Requires a new line activation with a data plan of at least $25 or a Simply Everything plan for MIR eligibility.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
    And to add another pricing wrinkle...

I haven't renewed my Verizon account for years, so I haven't been under contract for at least 2 years. I just got something in the mail from Verizon congratulating me for being a super-intelligent and attractive SmartPhone owner (I have a treo 650), and would I please reconsider signing up for another two years?

To sweeten the deal, they're offering me $200 off any of the smartphones listed in the mailer, including the Treo 755p. According to their math:

Treo 755p: $399
    Mail in Rebate: -$50
    PDA Credit: -$200

Final Price for Treo 755p: $149

I get this deal if I sign up for a 2-year renewal on a Nationwide Email Plan $79.99 or higher, whatever that means.

It still seems like the Centro will be a better deal, and it comes with a better software bundle, but it has a smaller battery, screen, and keyboard.

Hmmmm....

-Warr
    Progress? Well, at least I can get color traffic maps now...
    Psion 3a -> Psion 3c -> Palm IIIXE -> Palm VIIx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Centro
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    So $269 - $70 (MIR) - $100(data plan discount)=$99 -$50 (NE2) = $49?
    BUT... this is offset by the fact that, say your in the 450 plan at 40$ a month with no data plan (I could care less about roaming the web or chekcing email by my phone so never use data plans).. so for me, my Treo 650 is just $40 base rate (plus all the yada yada fees) but now.. you would be looking at that 40$ a month + the "required" minimum additional $30 monthly for the data plan all in an effort to save on the cost of the phone and walk out with a cheaper cost on the phone.

So, if you did what you say and get a phone for $49 (or $99 if you are not up for a NE2 like we both are).. great end price BUT now your monthly just went up $30 (huge jump, nearly 100% in my case) because of the required data plan to get great phone price. so it is not the end of the story. thus, it might be better for me to pay the 100$ extra, not buy into their data plan at $30 a month and that way, I recoupe that 100$ I lost in bad phone price in just over 3 months by saving $30 a month data plan price I would not even use anyway.

or just buy into their $30 plan and cancel it after a month... but I am sure they are on to that scam and back charge you or some fee for bailing on the data plan as they know you just did it to get the phone cheaper.

it will be interesting to see how this whole pricing plays out.. better to go via Palm (as per link above)? can you combine their offer with a NE2 from Verizon? better to go straight to verizon? yada yada.. seems like we will only know when people start trying on the 13th, but after looking at their proposed starting price structure (which sucks, period) I might actually wait an additional few days and see how it lays out for others. if it was going to be the same deal as Sprint and ATT and simple 99$ and be on my way, I was there opening day... but now, I might just wait and see how it plays out for people and what they end up honoring, offering, working as deals. Like a few others, I have been off contract for over 2 years.. so I might make my angle walking in all casual and acting like, "oh, I was thinking of getting a new PDA what do you have?" and see how they play ball given I have a NE2 to use. I do not want to blaze in there and say :I am here for the Centro, been waiting, opening day baby, hook me up" and show interest in the Centro as that lessens any bargaining ability I feel as playing it cool I can kind of angle I am thinking of jumping ship to a iPhone on another carrier.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/06/2008 at 01:58 PM.
    I'm in the market to add data so thats why I included the discount for it. I cant believe that alot of people buy smartphones and dont get a data plan? I was even thinking about jumping to Sprint SERO to get Centro with cheap data plan.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I work on a computer all friggen day long - seems you access often also - last thing I want is to do it while away and enjoying my time

anyway... as I have spouted before.. the Centro, and really smart phones for that matter as I see it, for me is all about the collection, management, of legacy Palm data in a format only Palm friendly and the ability to have all the great apps on a Palm and maintain years worth of Palm data.

heck, if you want to surf the web on a phone and email (hence data plan)... SO many phones do that, and do it better, why stress over getting a Centro with dated OS system & browser? good Lord, if that was a main goal, I would have moved on long ago from Palm.

So I would say "I cant believe that alot of people buy a Palm device just to get a data plan" - if you have no use for the legacy needs of Palm data, why even get it as it is not even progressive, cool looking, advanced technology, nor have functionality some other phones have making a data plan really killer to have... like an iPhone.
    Don't forget, that what ever price you get, you have to add $20 for just upgrading your phone, which supposidly is part of a new policy.
    I think you are missing the point, the Centro is at the right price point and with a more consumer friendly data plan (not the $45 BB one) it makes alot of sense for people to get. I'm not 100% happy with VZN's $29.99 plan, but its better that paying $45. Plus like you stated, even with this old outdated OS, there plenty of appls and legacy data that is still useful.

VZW should be giving these away for free to people signing up for data plans. Thats where they are going to make a killing. Monthy recurring charges for data plans to a whole new market of first time smartphone users!

Me included.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodycape77 View Post
    Don't forget, that what ever price you get, you have to add $20 for just upgrading your phone, which supposidly is part of a new policy.
    say what??

so they send all this junk to my home about NE2 eligible, upgrade to a smartphone, stay a VZW member, don't leave, what haven't you resigned... then try to tag you for a fee?

all the more reason to walk into the store and act all casual about it and make it seem, to them, they better work hard to keep me as I want so bad to jump ship.. maybe they can waive that junk fee

the other killer scam is that you always pay taxes on the retail price of the phone. Not the actual price you are paying. I always hated that fact.
    Is anyone who is getting this phone with a data plan worried that the report of the $100 discount is going away after June 15?

If true that only gives you 2 days to get it with the $100 discount!
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121318 ... LastLast