Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 396
  1. eTard's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #101  
    I think that is totally random coincedence. look at the creation and modification dates of that page.

    anyway.. I would say June 1 is a no go.. If not the 15th then forget June.
  2. #102  
    By the time VZW releases the Centro it will be EOL! [end of life]

    i'm thinking of switching off VZW to Sprint. Not only because of the Centro, but they are very expense. I got family plan, 3 phones, 700 minutes with unlimited text n its $130 a month. The same plan on Sprint is around $100. I wish I would of thought of this last month before renewing my contract.
  3. #103  
    My biggest hesitation to buying a Centro from VZW has to do with other technology. As Palm OS continues its spiral into irrelevance and I see all these other great phones coming out it makes me debate my future on the Palm platform while wanting features coming out that Palm OS cannot and doesn't support.

    Since November when the Centro was released and I initially said "I WANT THAT", my desire has waned. I want what's out on the horizon in my front windshield and Palm doesn't even seem to be on the map.

    It should be noted I am not a power user...I don't use the thousands of third party apps Palm has and can claim. I want my phone to be a phone, contact list, calendar, to do list, music player, and wi-fi for browsing the internet. I was willing to give the Centro a pass on the wi-fi because it could do everything else but that was more than half a year ago while my 650 gets bigger, heavier, and clunkier in my pocket.

    I don't want to live in a disposable society where I buy, upgrade, and trash my technology every year or two. I have had three devices in ten years and if it were not for the battery in my second device failing and not being easily upgradeable I would still be on #2. So my next device will need to last me four years and it would be great if Palm were my next device because that's what all my info is in right now but by the time VZW offers it I will have probably already decided to wait for something better.
    No more rhymes...and this time I mean it!
  4. eTard's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #104  
    So look..it might be just me.. but I see the real value of the Centro for legacy, existing users who must be on the Palm OS. Why must you be on the Palm OS? To keep intact years worth of calendar events & attached notes formatted just for Palm OS and not carried over to other platforms.. for todo and memo lists not carried over to new platforms... contacts (yes, those could be carried over) and the many killer applications we bought and installed (not carried over to other new platforms).

    If this is not you.. not even sure why you would care to wait for the Centro or even buy into it. The iPhone is kickin and can do so many neat things.

    BUT.. what it cannot do is take the legacy mentioned items from the Palm OS and use them.

    So, in my case, I have 5 years of calendar notations/events/notes I am not willing to lose and can't be ported over to a new brand, great applications I cannot live without. Memos and Lists of notes that can't be esily ported and used. So.. in this case.. the newest Palm - the Centro - with it's super small form factor is the only choice in a Palm OS phone moving forward.

    Yeah, I want all that cool technlogy other phones have - like the iPhone - but what I want more? I want to keep the legacy information and applications I use daily. Period. In the end, that other cool stuff is just that, cool.. but does not help me live my daily life. The other stuff is neat, but I live off the information that is only Palm OS usable. And though I do not consider myself a 'power user' - as the term gets tossed around here - I live off that Palm OS every single day revieiwng old calendar events and notes and using applications daily, hourly, weekly you just cannot get for other phones.

    So, again, if you are not one of these types.. why would you even wait or look at a Palm OS phone? Calendars? Tons of phones have basic Calendars.. Contacts.. every phone can manage contacts. BUT if you are a legacy user - been using for years - and all your data is formatted for the Palm OS it is just not that easy to walk away and move on. Believe me, if I could I would and I have tried with the iPhone, but just no way yet to cleanly move over Calendars events & attached must have notes, no apps that run native on the phone (coming soon but currently all are via the web - webapps - at this moment), can't carry over memos and todo lists and maintain the integrity of your palm OS formatted data. If you do not have similar needs, I would move on. if I was not a current Palm OS user, I do not know why you are even looking at the Centro.. so many other phones text, email, calendar, blah blah... but for Palm OS users.. we are limited if we wish to keep our legacy formatted years and years and years worth of data.
  5. #105  
    Personally, its the Palm format that has me hooked. I haven't had the pleasure of owning a smart phone yet, but have been carrying around some form of palm product for 8 years now. I like how the calender is set up, its much easy to read than the windows version found on some phones. (I have messed around with them Moto Q a couple times, the OS was very quirky IMO. And everything is straight to the point. No need to go through a task manager in order to close down a program.

    I was considering getting Verizons latest Palm phone (755P) But I was waiting for my latest phone to die on me. My E2 is starting to give me problems, so I figured that it was time to upgrade to a smart phone. Then I caught wind of Verizon carrying the Centro. Now I can't wait for that to be released.
  6. eTard's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #106  
    June 1 comes........... and goes (boooo)

    if not June 15th........ then maybe July
  7. #107  
    Ironically, if the VZW Centro gets released by mid-June 2008, then it will effectively replace my longest held cellphone/smartphone that I have ever held without replacing which is my VZW 700p which I got in mid-June 2006!

    Just like you, I have gotten almost all my accessories ordered and most of them should be here by this week so when I get the Centro...boom, I'll have all my goodies to go with the new Centro.

    BTW, which case are you looking at?


    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    June 1 comes........... and goes (boooo)

    if not June 15th........ then maybe July
  8. #108  
    I'm waiting before I buy any Centro accessories.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Ironically, if the VZW Centro gets released by mid-June 2008, then it will effectively replace my longest held cellphone/smartphone that I have ever held without replacing which is my VZW 700p which I got in mid-June 2006!

    Just like you, I have gotten almost all my accessories ordered and most of them should be here by this week so when I get the Centro...boom, I'll have all my goodies to go with the new Centro.

    BTW, which case are you looking at?
    I know you were asking eTard but I do have a couple suggestions.
    I spend as much $$$ on cases or more than most people. I have finally found a GREAT fit, a Smartphone Experts SidePouch and a Seidio Super Slim Rubberized Hard Case. They fit great together. The thing I like about the SidePouch is that it is made for the Centro. It has a cut out for the speaker. They also make the Top Pouch with cut out for the speaker. It's easy to hear it ring, no muffled sound. I have also purchased the Seidio Holster for skinned Centro's. I switch off and like them both.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
  10. #110  
    Thanks for the heads up. I like horizontal side pouches with belt clips but given the Centro small size, I may try Smartphone Experts Top Pouch for Centro.

    I also like Seidio's stuff as well (having bought 3 extended batteries from them for my previous Treo 650 and 700p). Now, is it easy to take apart the Seidio Super Slim Rubberized Hard case when you need to do a "hard reset" on the Centro (since the only way to do a hard reset is take the battery out).

    I assume the SE Top Pouch is also specifically made for the Centro.

    I guess I'll have to decide between side pouch vs. top pouch.



    Quote Originally Posted by floridatony View Post
    I know you were asking eTard but I do have a couple suggestions.
    I spend as much $$$ on cases or more than most people. I have finally found a GREAT fit, a Smartphone Experts SidePouch and a Seidio Super Slim Rubberized Hard Case. They fit great together. The thing I like about the SidePouch is that it is made for the Centro. It has a cut out for the speaker. They also make the Top Pouch with cut out for the speaker. It's easy to hear it ring, no muffled sound. I have also purchased the Seidio Holster for skinned Centro's. I switch off and like them both.
  11. eTard's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Ironically, if the VZW Centro gets released by mid-June 2008, then it will effectively replace my longest held cellphone/smartphone that I have ever held without replacing which is my VZW 700p which I got in mid-June 2006!

    Just like you, I have gotten almost all my accessories ordered and most of them should be here by this week so when I get the Centro...boom, I'll have all my goodies to go with the new Centro.

    BTW, which case are you looking at?
    honestly.. I am not doing a case. in the past I have done them and finally decided, I just like it simple and as I am pretty safe, I just keep it in my pocket.

    I 'use' to love silicon cases, and still love the idea, but the reality was that it was just impossible to try to slide a sticky rubbery silicon case into your pocket pants.

    and, a huge draw for the Centro for me is the small form factor. and I want to do everything to keep it that way.. so no case. I trust myself. plus, you cannot put it in the cradle with a case on it, so I will also pass because of that fact. I want to be able to just pop it on the cradle.

    but... if I did/do ever get a case, I have been partial to the simple, clean, snug form factor fit of the Seidio Crystal Case. that would be the only one I considered.

    as for accessories.. as I see it, the VZW Centro is coming. I want it. I will get it. So why wait and order the accessories. Who am I fooling? I am going to get it. So might as well have the stuff (SDHC card, cradle, metal stylus) ready and waiting. Just will save me time so the day I get the phone, I can roll without missing a beat and wasting time.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/03/2008 at 12:32 AM.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I like horizontal side pouches with belt clips but given the Centro small size, I may try Smartphone Experts Top Pouch for Centro.

    I also like Seidio's stuff as well (having bought 3 extended batteries from them for my previous Treo 650 and 700p). Now, is it easy to take apart the Seidio Super Slim Rubberized Hard case when you need to do a "hard reset" on the Centro (since the only way to do a hard reset is take the battery out).

    I assume the SE Top Pouch is also specifically made for the Centro.

    I guess I'll have to decide between side pouch vs. top pouch.
    I use my fingernails and open it from the bottom right corner. Hopefully not to many Hard Resets, some Soft Resets are always needed. Of course Palm didn't put a reset hole because they didn't want to admit a reset is sometimes needed.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
  13. #113  
    Actually, I was mainly talking about a belt case due to my work environment and the fact I need to access the smartphone fast without digging into my pocket. Screen protector still is a must. Agree with you re: getting accessories ahead of time if you are going to get the Centro. I don't want to miss a beat because I use my Treo 700p daily for my work!!

    Thanks for the info. Let's see who will get it first...


    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    honestly.. I am not doing a case. in the past I have done them and finally decided, I just like it simple and as I am pretty safe, I just keep it in my pocket.

    I 'use' to love silicon cases, and still love the idea, but the reality was that it was just impossible to try to slide a sticky rubbery silicon case into your pocket pants.

    and, a huge draw for the Centro for me is the small form factor. and I want to do everything to keep it that way.. so no case. I trust myself. plus, you cannot put it in the cradle with a case on it, so I will also pass because of that fact. I want to be able to just pop it on the cradle.

    but... if I did/do ever get a case, I have been partial to the simple, clean, snug form factor fit of the Seidio Crystal Case. that would be the only one I considered.

    as for accessories.. as I see it, the VZW Centro is coming. I want it. I will get it. So why wait and order the accessories. Who am I fooling? I am going to get it. So might as well have the stuff (SDHC card, cradle, metal stylus) ready and waiting. Just will save me time so the day I get the phone, I can roll without missing a beat and wasting time.
  14. #114  
    Thanks for the info...something to consider, but thanks for the heads-up on the Smartphone Experts belt cases!

    Quote Originally Posted by floridatony View Post
    I use my fingernails and open it from the bottom right corner. Hopefully not to many Hard Resets, some Soft Resets are always needed. Of course Palm didn't put a reset hole because they didn't want to admit a reset is sometimes needed.
  15. jbinbi's Avatar
    Posts
    112 Posts
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    #115  
    Got my Treo 650 in June of 05. So in people years, that must mean its about 100. Longest I have kept a cell phone as well.

    I also keep in my pocket, in fact, in several jeans, my right pocket is worn out before the jeans! So I am looking forward to the centro for size reasons (as this was the biggest reason I did not like the Treo), and to get higher speed internet. The fact that I don't have to learn everything is plus, though I miss out on fact that I don't get multi tasking. Saw new 800 with WinM, this looks really interesting. Do wish the Centro would get released. Am pretty sure its a matter of when, not if, as we have seen pictures of it.
  16. #116  
    Verizon, just release the Centro already....though I hope it is bug-free for Verizon....VZW and Palm did a number on me with releasing their "buggy" 700p 2 years ago...The 650 wasn't perfect but at least Palm was releasing firmware updates in a more timely matter than they did with the 700p.

    Release the Centro....
  17. #117  
    http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...ity-itw-01.jpg
    Click on the image for the story.
    My Evolution -
    PDA's: Palm Vx - Sony Clie PEG-T655C - Palm Tungsten E2
    Cellphones: Too many to count - Final phone was a Moto RAZR V3M
    Smartphone: First and only so far - Centro
  18. eTard's Avatar
    Posts
    218 Posts
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    #118  
    before even clicking I could see the screen was a dummy screen.. much to white and papery. personally, I think the color blows chunks... but nothing a little spray paint can't and won't fix - I plan to opt for white and already watched the youtube video on how to take it apart (which was pretty much similar to a 650 and I took several of those apart).

    it is kind of funny that it is clearly being held over a junk bin of dummy phones
  19. #119  
    I'm waiting to see the color in person. It wont be an option for me to paint it!
  20. hkklife's Avatar
    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    #120  
    Remember, Verizon was, what, ~6 months late to the Treo 650 party? So by the time the VZW version of the 650 launched, they'd already "fixed" the major NVFS bug that it launched with. And a few other smaller bugs were addressed as well as updating some of the bundled apps.

    And VZW's version of the 755p ships with the 1.06 ROM, vs. the 1.04 that the Sprint 755p launched with.

    So I'll wager that IF Palm has any major ROM updates in store for the Centro, the VZW will incorporate at least a portion of those from the get-go, and it'll be available to Sprint users via download a few weeks/months later.
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX

Posting Permissions