Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast
    I'm talking about the new Palm OS Nova that should be out by this time next year. If the Centro keeps on getting delayed on VZW, I'm saying that I might just forget it and wait. Also the Centro would be my first smartphone, so I'm not upgrading from another one to it.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    the operative word is 'should'.. there is not actual 'delay' in the Centro for VZW as there was never an actual announcement or release date. Just pictures, speculation and a rebate with the name on it. So, as much as I want it also, it is not delayed. History shows Palm to have delays and issue BUT the Centro is a proven phone running a proven OS. they just need to slap it into a VZW package and meet some VZW credentials. But the claimed Nova is none of those.. just a lot of talk and claims.

also, if this Centro for VZW comes in at the price point all others have.. $99 to get it now is not a huge loss if you decide to get a Nova OS Palm when (and if) it ever comes out and then even sell the Centro and get some money back.
    Yeah I know, it just sucks the VZW takes so long to certify phones on there network. My point is the longer it takes to release it, the less it makes sense to get. (even thou it is only $99).

Also I was buying into the rumor that it was coming out June 1!
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    The advantages (aside from overall size/weight) form the Centro to the 755p are marginal:

-Improved/newer software bundle (DTG 10, PTunes Deluxe)
    -Some minor OS/PIM app tweaks from Palm
    -Slightly less lag due to NVFS optimizations
    -Louder speaker/speakerphone
    -Slightly more available memory out of the box
    -Brighter LCD
    -Marginally better camera quality
    -Somewhat more stable BT implementation (still BT 1.2 though)
    -Supposedly better/crisper sound quality (haven't verified this one personally)
    -Lower price (both full retail & subsidized)

The 755p's advantages vs. the Centro are fewer but more critical for power users:

-Larger capacity stock battery (1600mAh vs. 1150mAh) with the option of Seidio's OEM-sized high capacity battery (2200mAh) available NOW
    -Larger LCD
    -Larger keyboard
    -Thicker, more comfortable stylus
    -Better build quality
    -Soft touch rubberized paint. Also more professional looking IMO
    -miniSD slot is easier to access & change cards. miniSD cards themselves are not as fragile or as easily lost as microSD (and 755p can use microSD w/ adapters)
    -Wider variety of available accessories (GPS kids, cradles, cases, styli etc) from a numerous peripheral companies for the 755p
    -Verizion's 755p is available NOW
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    Quote Originally Posted by seanandcara View Post
    I believe the June 1st date is probably correct. Here's why:

My wife and I were at the local Verizon company store this afternoon, looking at their selection of smartphones. While looking at the Treo 755p, the rep asked "Want to see the new Palm phone that's coming out?" He proceeded to bring out a "dummy" Centro with same color and markings as the Engadget pictures recently released. He said that when they receive the mock-ups, the phone is usually released a week or two later (they received it in this week).

We're hoping that's correct - my wife really wants one for her New Every Two replacement.

(After "lurking" for quite some time, I finally had something to contribute!)
    I can confirm the above post, as I handled a blue Verizon Centro mockup/dummy phone at a Circuit City VZW kiosk on my lunch hour today. Shouldn't be long now...
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead007 View Post
    I can confirm the above post, as I handled a blue Verizon Centro mockup/dummy phone at a Circuit City VZW kiosk on my lunch hour today. Shouldn't be long now...
    they let you touch it.. but gave no firm release date?

any idea on their intro price structure?

oh.. I believe it is coming, already bought an SDHC card and a cradle for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    they let you touch it.. but gave no firm release date?

any idea on their intro price structure?

oh.. I believe it is coming, already bought an SDHC card and a cradle for it.
    They just said it's "coming soon" ... if they knew the release date, they weren't in a sharing mood.
    Cool, sounds good. I think I'll stop by VZW store on Friday and see what they say.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Cool, sounds good. I think I'll stop by VZW store on Friday and see what they say.
    x2
    x2
    Stopped by the VZW store on 43rd & 6th in NYC today. The sales person I spoke to said they didn't have the dummy demo yet, but he was aware that it was on it's way. He didn't know of an exact release date, but said it should be very soon.

Jeff
    Checked out VZW today and there's a whole lot of Centro Accessories listed. Cant be long now!

from VZW site-
    -----------------------

Standard Battery
    $39.99Online Price

For the: Centro™ Smartphone

Accessory DetailsStandard Battery

$39.99

Have an extra battery ready if your charger isn't handy or if your battery is drained. This battery is 1600 mAh. Actual usage time will vary based on user settings, feature use and network.
    (Part #PALMBAT1)
    Last edited by miles4000; 05/29/2008 at 10:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Checked out VZW today and there's a whole lot of Centro Accessories listed. Cant be long now!

from VZW site-
    -----------------------

Standard Battery
    $39.99Online Price

For the: Centro™ Smartphone

Accessory DetailsStandard Battery

$39.99

Have an extra battery ready if your charger isn't handy or if your battery is drained. This battery is 1600 mAh. Actual usage time will vary based on user settings, feature use and network.
    (Part #PALMBAT1)
    Where did you find the 1600mAh battery for the Centro. I found where Verizon will be selling a standard battery for $39.99 but no mention of 1600mAh. The battery that came with my Centro is 1150mAh. If they are making a 1600mAh standard size, it will be a big seller. Let us know.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    sure enough.. if you search "centro" you will get a list of items saying "For the: Centro™ Smartphone"

floridatony - it says right in the description of the battery "This battery is 1600 mAh." - I have a sneaking suspicion, given the ATT and Sprint are listed as 1150mAh - that this 1600 claim is wrong, but that is what they clearly say in the part description.
    Yeah I'm thinking maybe they mislabeled the TREO battery as for the Centro.
    Last edited by miles4000; 05/29/2008 at 12:31 PM.
    Just something to think about. When I got my Centro it was from a corporate AT&T store before they showed up on their web site. That may be the same with Verizon. Keep checking the stores! When I got mine they told me on the phone they were in. When I got to the store they didn't have display. They got it out of the back.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I was shopping for a bluetooth headset with my girlfriend this past Sunday (25May) at the local BJs Wholesale, and while she was talking to the clerk at the VZW kiosk, I saw a large cardboard display sign on the counter behind him for the Palm Centro. Being Sprint people, and not seeing dates or "coming soon" on the sign (and having seen rumor and speculation for the past month), I assumed the Centro was already released, so I didn't think to ask any questions about it. I'm pretty sure it was a blue Centro on the card. Her dialer on her pink Centro is the same as on my Treo 700p, which is most likely what you will get (like the previous poster said about CDMA. The AT&T Centro shares the supposedly nicer GSM dialer with its Treo 680 cousin).

Had I known I was looking at pre-release stuff, I certainly would have asked for more info. For what it is worth, the Circuit City in the strip mall next door had no such sign displayed in its Verizon kiosk.
    I went to a VZW store in central NJ this morning. Sales guy told me he has no launch date for the Centro.

Now I'm back to thinking its still weeks away!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    maybe so... but its coming

and clearly, they are winding up for the release
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    sure enough.. if you search "centro" you will get a list of items saying "For the: Centro™ Smartphone"

floridatony - it says right in the description of the battery "This battery is 1600 mAh." - I have a sneaking suspicion, given the ATT and Sprint are listed as 1150mAh - that this 1600 claim is wrong, but that is what they clearly say in the part description.
    well.. those same entries have now been removed.. when you searched "centro" the other day those specific battery listings came up as the first few items.. now, they are gone and all that remains are generic items that could work for any phone, not just the centro. oops.
    I don't know if anyone else noticed this or not. Check out this page from the Centro guide found on Palm.com.
    Palm Centro smartphone setup guide: brand new users start here

Look under "Turning on your phone / Network name" specifically.
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891015 ... LastLast