Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    yeah, you beat me to it... I saw that and was about to post. NICE!

they actually claim 'insider' news on this.. we will see.

"Centro fans will be happy to hear that the diminutive Garnet phone will finally hit Verizon following Sprint and AT&T launches in the tail end of May or the beginning of June"
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    yeah, you beat me to it... I saw that and was about to post. NICE!

they actually claim 'insider' news on this.. we will see.

"Centro fans will be happy to hear that the diminutive Garnet phone will finally hit Verizon following Sprint and AT&T launches in the tail end of May or the beginning of June"
    Centro will be out in May 2008 according to verizon rep and phonearena.com

Also verizon is coming out with the BB curve as is sprint.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    Centro will be out in May 2008 according to verizon rep and phonearena.com
    where do you read/see/hear this? I see no mention of that on their website.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    that link is tenuous at best.. no mention, no story, just an image with it claiming to be coming soon and yet, it is a Sprint image (not that anyone has seen this alleged VZW Centro - seems photos can surface for ATT and Sprint, but somehow kept under-wraps with VZW). interesting, but not concrete as usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    that link is tenuous at best.. no mention, no story, just an image with it claiming to be coming soon and yet, it is a Sprint image (not that anyone has seen this alleged VZW Centro - seems photos can surface for ATT and Sprint, but somehow kept under-wraps with VZW). interesting, but not concrete as usual.
    Go to howards forum and look under Blackberry Curve 8330 prerelease thread. On page 52 there is a scanned Verizon rebate for that is good through 6-15-08 and the centro is on it.

It is coming.

If anybody has some time they might post the form here for others to see.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    now THAT is an actual piece of offical looking and seeming VZW proof. thanks for that!

click below link to see the rebate form

http://www.phonearena.com/htmls/show...=name&id=16384
    Last edited by eTard; 05/28/2008 at 04:29 PM.
    I think this is the closest we've gotten to official! If you put in the Centro UPC from the flyer at verizonwireless/rebates. It comes up say "Centro". It must be really close to release!!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Although I now think speculation about a Centro branded for VZW has transcended speculation and is total reality given the last weeks worth of information filtering to the top from more credible places than just pundits speculation, I read this further confirming post at another site on this topic. Just a regular everyday guy, but interesting:

"I had emailed Verizon with a note saying that I was going to leave when my contract was up to get a Centro from another carrier. They actually CALLED me today and told me that they definitely will be carrying the Centro. However, they could not tell me the exact release date.

The interesting thing was that the customer service rep said that the email I would also receive from them would not have this info, but they wanted to reassure me that the Centro was coming and the only way they could do that was by speaking to me (or my voice mail, which is where they left this long message with this info.)

They must be bleeding customers to other carriers over this phone, given this response. No wonder they are going to go ahead and carry it."
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    so here you have it.. in blue.. actual photos

full story click here

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.en...-centro-01.jpg
    So who wants to be the first Verizon Centro guinea pigs?

Spoke with my cell phone VZW carrier contact, he stated that it is coming out very soon because he has the Verizon Centro listed on his order system....Doubt the GPS will be unlocked and I am sure it will still use Rev 0 and not Rev A on Verizon Wireless but it would be a nice surprise that Palm/VZW would unlock the GPS function on the Centro and have it use Rev A....Wishful thinking....I guess Verizon customer should be just happy the VZW decided to release the Centro.....Now, what about T-Mobile?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post
    ..Doubt the GPS will be unlocked and I am sure it will still use Rev 0 and not Rev A on Verizon Wireless but it would be a nice surprise that Palm/VZW would unlock the GPS function on the Centro and have it use Rev A....Wishful thinking....
    being an entry level phones and no Google Maps integration, there is not much reason to enable aGPS (plus it's not very good on this old chipset).

The Centro does not support Rev A, so there is nothing to enable.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Wait a second, the Centro can do Google Maps....it is a Palm OS. You can download it on the Centro. Why not enable aGPS?

The Centro is a miniature 755p.

Quote Originally Posted by Malatesta View Post
    being an entry level phones and no Google Maps integration, there is not much reason to enable aGPS (plus it's not very good on this old chipset).

The Centro does not support Rev A, so there is nothing to enable.
    Wait a second, the Centro can do Google Maps....it is a Palm OS. You can download it on the Centro. Why not enable aGPS?

The Centro is a miniature 755p.
    Google Maps on Palm does not have a way to utilize GPS, internal or BT.

WMExperts: News, Reviews & Podcasts + Twitter
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    So who wants to be the first Verizon Centro guinea pigs?
    the day they release, I will get it. I am no a fan of the blue at all - would love white or take red - but hey, it's coming and I am on board that day and will not complain (until I get the blue and then they release white like a month later I am sure - you know how that goes).

Already played with it several times at the Sprint store.. works great for me and my hand size. I am 100% sold on it.

Plus, my current Treo 650 is not full featured compatible with my new Ford Edge with Sync voice system, and the Sprint Centro is, so I have high hopes (especially due to the newer BT version used in the VZW Centro versus old 650) it will be compatible as well and I can finally use the Sync features with my phone.

Plus.. I am just over the 650. period.
    Okay, so I'll be a the 2nd Guinea pig after eTard...
    After years of faithful service, my beloved Treo 650 is developing problems with it's "e" key. It was in security mode and I almost was unable to put in my password to unlock it. I smushed the key into submission with the back end of my stylus, and immediately changed my password.

So, after years of hemming and hawing, I am about ready to get the Centro ASAP. I was hoping to hold out even longer, for Palm OS2, but that may be too long to wait now with a flakey 650 keyboard.

We have 4 family members on Vzn, only I have the inflated data costs. Wife might be interested in getting data, but I do not know if I can recommend a treo to her with all it's still-remaining quirks. Contemplated switching to Sprint SERO, but the data would be a waste on 2 of the other family members, who also do not need new phones (even free ones). They both use very little minutes a month, wife and I use more. A non-data Sprint family plan for the 2 would actually be more than SERO with data.

If Wife wants data (Palm or other smartphone), then SERO is the way to go for all of us, even if the data would be a waste for the other 2 family members... but if she does not decide to go that route, then we might as well stay with Vzn. Yeah, I pay more for the data, but the other phone's plans are just 10 bucks a month each added to the main line. SERO would be 30 bucks each. It is about 120 bucks a month now for Vzn, and SERO would be 30x4=120 as well.

We do have one phone line (not mine or wife's) that is about to drop off the Vzn contract-term, so it seems up to the wifey if we all move to SERO/Sprint at that point or if we re-up with Vzn and I just get a Centro (the others keeping their existing phones).

It will be nice to at least have that choice.

Anybody hazard a guess (using Vzn's history or Sprint's) what it would cost to get a Centro with just a One-year contract extension on Vzn, so I could re-visit this whole thing next year when the Palm OS2 comes out (everybody else still out of contract with their old phones)???

If the Centro is 99$ with a 2-year on Sprint, what are they charging for it with a 1-year contract? Would Vzn charge the same, or laugh at me?
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    I'll be happy if the VZW version has the updated Versamail and GoogleMaps software. I hate that it's in ROM, but outdated as soon as you get the phone, forcing you to install it in precious RAM. The Versamail upgrade was over a meg hit, as was GoogleMaps (on Sprint).

I don't mind the blue. I loved my Sprint Centro (well, loved the CENTRO...not Sprint). I can't wait til this is released but unlike the 755P, I AM going to remain patient on this one.
    will be picking up 1 for my GF - gonna try to get here out of a paper organizer. one thing good you can still say about the old creeky Garnet OS - it's PIM apps do the job and do it well.
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    duanedude, vzw has new data plan at $30/mo either out or coming out for wm/pos phones. i am exact same situation as you, 3 yr old 650 on vzw, 4 family members. One son just got lg6800 w no data plan, he uses wifi in the house and other places. My neighbor has sprint and gets terrible reception where we live, so I don't want to make the switch. No matter what people say, vzw has excellent coverage. I am looking at centro or curve. Both coming out shortly, but will probably wait an extra month or so. When I was looking at 650 I was reading about the i730, and people drooling for months. I am really glad I did not get the i730, the posts from users didn't meet their expectations.
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast