Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 914151617181920 LastLast
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Does anyone who has first-hand experience with both VZW & Sprint versions of the Centro know if the Verizon Centro incorporates any of the ROM updates/fixes that are coming the Sprint ROM update that was leaked last week? What is the ROM version of the Verizon version vs. the Sprint version's? I'd hope that in the ~8 months in between the two CDMA Centro launches Verizon would have insisted on SOME kind of improvements to be made!
    Pilot 1000-->Pilot 5000-->PalmPilot Pro-->IIIe-->Vx-->m505-->T|T-->T|T2-->T|C-->T|T3-->T|T5-->TX-->Verizon Treo 700P-->Verizon Treo 755p-->Verizon Motorola Droid + Verizon Centro--> Verizon Motorola Droid X + Palm TX-->Verizon Droid Bionic + Palm TX
    my Centro is using 1.02. so what are the improvements?
    Considering trading in the 700p (PLEASE!) for the VZW Centro... I am eligible for NE2 as well, and would be getting the 29.99 data plan as well so that should get me down to almost free right?

Anyway, my biggest question is about the data plan structure. Currently I have the (exorbitantly priced) 44.99 data package for unlimited data access, and the new 29.99 "unlimited email and web package" sounds better. However, does that ONLY include email (via versamail, snapper, etc.) and web via the web browser? What about Google Maps? What about streaming radio via Pocket Tunes Deluxe (two things I use OFTEN). Will those still be considered "web" since they access web-based data (maps.google.com and whatever the URL is for the online radio station) or will that be considered DATA and incur per-kb charges?

What exactly is the difference between the "data" package and the "unlimited email and web" package?

Did Lee Harvey act alone?
    Is there Abominable Snowman?
    Are we alone in the universe?

If you want to just answer the Centro/data plan question, that will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    Considering trading in the 700p (PLEASE!) for the VZW Centro... I am eligible for NE2 as well, and would be getting the 29.99 data plan as well so that should get me down to almost free right?

Anyway, my biggest question is about the data plan structure. Currently I have the (exorbitantly priced) 44.99 data package for unlimited data access, and the new 29.99 "unlimited email and web package" sounds better. However, does that ONLY include email (via versamail, snapper, etc.) and web via the web browser? What about Google Maps? What about streaming radio via Pocket Tunes Deluxe (two things I use OFTEN). Will those still be considered "web" since they access web-based data (maps.google.com and whatever the URL is for the online radio station) or will that be considered DATA and incur per-kb charges?

What exactly is the difference between the "data" package and the "unlimited email and web" package?

Did Lee Harvey act alone?
    Is there Abominable Snowman?
    Are we alone in the universe?

If you want to just answer the Centro/data plan question, that will be fine.

The difference between the $24.99 and the $44.99 is 10MB vs Unlimited. Both can be used for Google Maps, EMail, Web Browsing (Internet Data). For $20 you go from the possibility of overage to Unlimited. Just take a look at your last few bills and see how much data you have actually been using in the past. If you aren't getting close to 10MB, then get the cheaper plan. $24.99 was a great idea for a plan since it gives people the excuse to get data (now that it is cheaper), but we all invariably use it more and more and more so we all wind up at the $44.99 plan at some point anyway.

No, it was the guy on the grassy knole.
    Yes, but due to Visa restrictions he has been unable to leave the Siberian Moutains.
    I certainly hope not. If we are the best the Universe has, then it was a lot of effort for nothing.

Hope that was a help. And if anyone has verification of the Universe thing I would love to hear it.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    The only difference between the $29.99 plan and the $45.00 plan is wireless sync. Both are unlimited. If you don't need or use wireless sync go with the $29.00 plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by joehello View Post
    The difference between the $24.99 and the $44.99 is 10MB vs Unlimited. Both can be used for Google Maps, EMail, Web Browsing (Internet Data). For $20 you go from the possibility of overage to Unlimited. Just take a look at your last few bills and see how much data you have actually been using in the past. If you aren't getting close to 10MB, then get the cheaper plan. $24.99 was a great idea for a plan since it gives people the excuse to get data (now that it is cheaper), but we all invariably use it more and more and more so we all wind up at the $44.99 plan at some point anyway.
    I was talking more about the new 29.99 unlimited email and web plan VZW has vs. the 44.99 unlimited data plan they've always had. I know about the 24.99 10mb plan but that is not what I am considering.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    hey.. on our Verizon Centros.. what the heck is that new ACCESS program with the annoying startup screen? what does it do?
    Um, that would be the company that owns the Palm OS now, right?
    ACCESS owns Palm OS Garnet, it is just a splash screen. However, if there is a program in our ROM that is causing our battery to drain, again, we need Palm to come up with a fix. Apparently, when the Sprint Centros first came out, the Sprint E-mail program had a bug and caused a battery drain. The Treo 680 had a camera program that caused a battery drain. So, if there is a program in our ROM, Palm will need to fix it or create a patch for it.

I can't remember if I saw ACCESS splash screen when I soft reset my 700p...

Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    hey.. on our Verizon Centros.. what the heck is that new ACCESS program with the annoying startup screen? what does it do?
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kewl 700p View Post

I can't remember if I saw ACCESS splash screen when I soft reset my 700p...

Yes the 700P was access powered too.
    I guess I am still waiting to hear from VZW Centro owners on whether the data accessed via streaming radio in PTunes Deluxe and accessing data via Google Maps falls under the "unlimited email and web" umbrella or not... If not, I am holding out a bit longer. If it does, I may take the plunge...
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by headgamer View Post
    I guess I am still waiting to hear from VZW Centro owners on whether the data accessed via streaming radio in PTunes Deluxe and accessing data via Google Maps falls under the "unlimited email and web" umbrella or not... If not, I am holding out a bit longer. If it does, I may take the plunge...
    You should be ok. 29.99 Unlimited plan just no wireless sync.
    Overall, for all of you who switched to the VZW Centro... are you happy with the switch? Is it easy to switch to the smaller screen? Just curious... headed into my VZW store on Saturday and gonna do some comparisons between it and my 700p, but likely will switch over... just wanted to know your opinions...
    There's absolutely no comparison between the vzw 700p and centro. Everything works great on the centro. The 700p had too many problems to even keep track of.

You'll get used to the smaller screen and keyboard within a day or two. The size and weight are great too. It's so nice being able to put my phone in my pocket too.
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    I echo peterlemonjello's thoughts. It has been a while since my 700P day and I switched to the WX. After a day or two I got used to the POS again. The Centro works great. Screen size no biggie. BT works great. Size & weight are great. I love the Veirzon hard case.

I have no complaints other than I have had WM for so long I just like it better now. I miss the today screen and all of its functionality. The day the 800W comes out I will get it. Not because there is anything wrong with my Centro I just like the WM OS better now. I got the Centro to hold me over till the 800 came out.

My duaghter has fallen in love with my Centro so she will got it when I switch.

Over all if you are 700P user and you have made it this far with it I think you will love the Centro.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    You'll get used to the smaller screen and keyboard within a day or two. The size and weight are great too. It's so nice being able to put my phone in my pocket too.
    x2... best Treo line I have had.. love it.. would never go back
    Thanks guys... that sets my mind at ease a bit... Looking forward to playing/comparing (and probably getting) it on Saturday...
    Why oh why did the VZW Centro keep the old crappy phone interface instead of using the newer style a'la Treo 680 that all other carrier's versions of the Centro use... that was kinda stupid...

oh well...

I know PTunes Deluxe and Documents to Go 10 (w00t!) are in ROM... is Google Maps? And if so, will VZW customers eventually get a ROM update to incorporate the latest "My Location" version of Google Maps into ROM, or will we be stuck with the newer version in RAM?

Inquiring minds wanna know...
    Headgamer-

You do not have to wait for a ROM update... My Location now works with Verizon Centros if you download and install the latest version of Google Maps.
    It does take up some of your phone's free memory, as it does not replace the old Gmaps that was in your ROM, it's just that when you run Gmaps the newer version runs instead of the older.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Yeah, I knew I could download it. I was just kinda hoping we'd eventually get a ROM update to include the newest version of GMaps in ROM instead of having to have an old copy in RO and new copy in RAM so we could save space...