Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7121314151617181920 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunk808 View Post
    So, does this 29.99 plan qualify you for the advanced data $100 credit?
    Apparently not

I just picked up my Centro an hour ago! I got to the VZ store a few minutes after they opened and got the first one they had.

It was a bit of a mess on pricing (although ok in the end): My daughter had used the new-every-2 on our family plan a few months ago, so that didn't apply. The $100 is supposed to be only online. However, after I was there forever, the manager typed some magic keys and gave me the $100 off, removed the stupid $20 ESN fee (what is that?), and gave me a $100 mail-in rebate, so my net (not including tax) will be about $70!

It great moving from my 700p - all my accessories work - car adapter, etc! That saves $$$. Too bad they went to microSD - gotta get one of those. And, even better, I've now got the $29.99/mo data, instead of the $45/mo!

I'm now moving a bunch of my data and programs over via IR beaming.

David
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    so when you log in to your account online, under My Plans under Data do you see this as an option? how many others do you see listed as options?

When I logged in to my personal account, and then selected the
    Centro, the Web and Mail plan was an option I could select.
    did anyone get the screen protectors offered by VZ?
    are they any good?
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Yes. They're not bad. Haven't been outside yet to see how the glare is. The are cut to size and easy to install. The VZ hard case in very nice. I am liking better than a silicone case.
    Got mine, too

I was the 1st one to get one at the store that I went to, so it took them a while to figure out pricing/plans/etc, but eventually, they got everything worked out. I, too, got the $29.99 data plan without any trouble and only paid the taxes

The manager even transferred all my contacts from my old LG phone over to my Centro!

Now, off to figure out how to disconnect from the web when I'm finished, make my own ring tones, find an alternative to *pushing* my e-mails since I don't think I can do it on the plan I got, and figure out if I can set specific keys as *speed dial* keys.
    Well, I just ordered my Centro through Customer Support (*611). Here's the kicker: I was able to get the $29.99 smartphone email/Internet plan AND the Advanced Device Credit. The rep offered both to me - I didn't even have to ask.

Combined with my New Every Two and the rebate (which he applied instantly), my total due was $0.00!

(NOTE: I tried this at a store and they wouldn't give me the $29.99 data plan. I guess they didn't get the press release...)
    Well, the new Avatar says it... this procrastinator finally upgraded his old Treo 650 to the Verizon Centro! It took long enough... both to make the decision (months) and to actually do the deal. I think we were in the Vzn store for over 2 hours.

Our case was complicated, and we had a guy there who was only working that post for about 2 weeks. At first they were not sure about the 29.99 data plan and they would not give me much of a break because my phone is not the primary one on our family for New Every 2. I showed them the Vzn website printout, and the $99 price and $29.99 data plan were eventually golden (replacing my existing 49.99 data plan).

We also upgraded wife's dumbphone to a Blackberry Curve (She preferred the keyboard and larger screen on that to the Pearl) and added her a 29.99 data plan as well. She got the NE2 discount.

We left the mom-in-laws dumbphone line alone.

Since we bought 2 new phones (Centro and BBerry) and there was a Buy One Get One deal going on, we upgraded one other line on our family plan to an LG camera phone for free. We also added another (5th) line of service for a minor kid and got her an identical LG for free. We also upped our minutes in our plan by 400 more.

All told, we were able to get both the Centro and the BBerry for 99.99 each (if we include the mail-in rebates). Both have the 29.99 data plans, and we were able to add a line and get 2 new phones outta the deal. We'll see if it all goes through as it should. They were very busy and we were very patient with the guy doing our deal, but were assertive enough to know what we were entitled to and not take their initial statements at face value.

I think they will have a hard time selling the Centro if they keep the (over $200) price tag on the display. They had a 700P labeled as $99 with a 2-year contract, maybe they are trying to steer people there who want a $99 Palm OS phone, to reduce their 700P inventory??

Now I gotta begin syncing my contacts, moving (slowly) some programs over from the 650, etc.

All the best- the duanedude!
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Well, have change my screename to "Kewl Centro", I was the first customer to pick up the first Centro from my Verizon store today & I like the Cobalt Blue color. In fact, posting with my Centro right now! Keyboard is not bad for the size!
    Got mine too. I decided that the Palm OS has everything I need, apart from stability and multitasking. I don't want to switch to ATT for the iPhone, which in any case has too many important features still missing.

The Centro will tide me over until the next generation Palm phones come out. This thing is much snappier than the 700p. It's what the 700p should have been.
    A lot of these sales people in actual stores and call centers work for commission. So unfortunately, they will try to sell you the most expensive plan and phone if you go in a store without doing your homework. And when they tell customers "if the computer allows it", it is just an way out from being caught of taking advantage of customers. I am not with Verizon but I can tell you the GSM provider that I am with does the same thing. The best way is probably to order online. Calling a sales rep. over the phone is risky too since most online deals are online deals only. A phone rep. may also try to "sell" you the same deal but won't happen when you see your bill. Happened to a friend of mine. Be careful and try to take the names of all the people you deal with.
    Quote Originally Posted by unfrostedpoptart View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunk808 View Post
    So, does this 29.99 plan qualify you for the advanced data $100 credit?
    Apparently not
    David
    Not true. After attempting to order my Centro online and having difficulty obtaining all possible discounts, I called into customer service to discuss it with them, and managed to order one on the 29.99 data plan. On the down side, I was told that I have to keep the plan for 60 days in order to maintain the discount. After that I can cancel the plan.

I guess that will allow me to D/L some apps before canceling it.
    My Evolution -
    PDA's: Palm Vx - Sony Clie PEG-T655C - Palm Tungsten E2
    Cellphones: Too many to count - Final phone was a Moto RAZR V3M
    Smartphone: First and only so far - Centro
    I got the chance to touch and play with the Centro when I saw one at a store.

Beside the Centro was the Treo755p. I saw the noticeable smaller size of Centro. I liked it.

The keypad on Centro is cool and presents no problem. The rubbery thing works well with my thumb fingernail. I like the 5-way navigation too..

I was "feeling" and comparing the buttons(home, mail, calendar, and phone) on each set. My concern was the buttons on Centro had already some "dents" and the sides around the buttons were slightly "flipped up"...

Those with Centro, do you see this same potential problem?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmDM View Post
    I got the chance to touch and play with the Centro when I saw one at a store.

Beside the Centro was the Treo755p. I saw the noticeable smaller size of Centro. I liked it.

The keypad on Centro is cool and presents no problem. The rubbery thing works well with my thumb fingernail. I like the 5-way navigation too..

I was "feeling" and comparing the buttons(home, mail, calendar, and phone) on each set. My concern was the buttons on Centro had already some "dents" and the sides around the buttons were slightly "flipped up"...

Those with Centro, do you see this same potential problem?
    only issue I see here is that in certain light conditions, the fact that the buttons are raised rubber and the actual characters are well below the raised rubber tip you touch, at certain angles and lighting, it is hard to see the characters...
    Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    went to the store yesterday, played with centro and curve, bought curve, missed too many things, see many threads I posted on this forum, crackberry, and howard forums about differences.

Went back to store to return, played with centro, but not sure now. As someone said earlier, if vzw had this 2 weeks ago, or 2 months ago, it would be in my hands.

lightness of curve felt great in my pocket vs. 650. Centro would be like that as well, but was a bit uncomfortable with small keybd vs. 650/755. Not sure if this is reality or just newness on centro. Looked at 755, but don't want to pay 755 pricing for 'old technology'. Now I am considering iphone, but since everyone is on vzw from family, biz, and friends, not sure about changing carriers. Also, feel that maybe prices will come down once apple rolls out 199 iphone on july 13th. Or maybe just wait for some more new phones to roll, iphone should be putting pressure on manufacs. Treo 800 looks interesting, wm 6.1 might do some more. Hard to spend this kind of $ on phone without gps (google maps on curve actually triangulates based on agps, why doesn't palm have this?), etc.

Big sigh. Still have heavy slow 650 in my pocket.
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
    went to the store yesterday, played with centro and curve, bought curve, missed too many things, see many threads I posted on this forum, crackberry, and howard forums about differences.

Went back to store to return, played with centro, but not sure now. As someone said earlier, if vzw had this 2 weeks ago, or 2 months ago, it would be in my hands.

lightness of curve felt great in my pocket vs. 650. Centro would be like that as well, but was a bit uncomfortable with small keybd vs. 650/755. Not sure if this is reality or just newness on centro. Looked at 755, but don't want to pay 755 pricing for 'old technology'. Now I am considering iphone, but since everyone is on vzw from family, biz, and friends, not sure about changing carriers. Also, feel that maybe prices will come down once apple rolls out 199 iphone on july 13th. Or maybe just wait for some more new phones to roll, iphone should be putting pressure on manufacs. Treo 800 looks interesting, wm 6.1 might do some more. Hard to spend this kind of $ on phone without gps (google maps on curve actually triangulates based on agps, why doesn't palm have this?), etc.

Big sigh. Still have heavy slow 650 in my pocket.
    Did the same. Played with both the Centro and the Curve. I've owned every Treo since they've been around and didn't feel comfortable saying goodbye to Palm, but the OS is so antiquated, I couldn't help but look at the Blackberry.

So, for the first time since I've owned a smartphone, I have a device that is rock-solid, moves fast, is easy to use, has tons of support, and most importantly, doesn't crash or reboot when I use my bluetooth speakerphone in my car.

I bought a Blackberry Curve.

After a couple of days with the Curve, I am still trying to get used to not having quirks or reboots all of the time.

Palm, you lost a loyal customer and I am not looking back with any reget as of yet.

What ashame....
    Well, we now have both a Centro and a BBerry Curve in the family.

Despite my wife's IT geekiness and her experience with the Palm OS (she has a Palm PDA), I could not in good conscience encourage her to get a matching Centro when I got mine. I know the quirkiness of Palm OS, and feel I am used to it enough to work with it and make it work. I didn't want her experience to frustrate her (guys- you do NOT want a frustrated wife), and she briefly had a BBerry at a former job so it wasn't too unfamiliar to her. Also, I had the advantage of years of frequenting these boards for hints and help. The Vzn Salesman suggested the BB, even though he has a WinMob unit, and so far she seems happy to explore and set up features on it. Wife still has the Palm PDA for whatever games or such she doesn't have equivalents for on the RIM machine.

Vzn Centro Update: I got most of my programs and settings configured and working, with only a few minor glitches when putting programs on the unit.
    Luvin' the Centro... All is good at this point.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorgans View Post
    I assume we can still use third party applications such as Snapper or Chatter to achieve the same thing.

Does anyone know if the discounts that VZW gives to employees of certain companies apply to this plan?
    You don't need wireless sync to use either Snapper or VersaMail. I have the cheaper data plan (I had on my 700p and just transfered to my Centro), and have been checking both my work IMAP and personal POP email for the last three years that way. Wireless Sync is probably handy if you use Exchange or something, but I Hotsync with my laptop and use the data plan/feature to check my email with Versa and have never even looked at Wireless Sync. One of the first things I did when I got the Centro on Friday in fact is I had to go to Preferences and change the Email button to launch VersaMail instead of Wireless Sync. ...and I can send and receive email fine without it.

Got the phone for free btw: $100 Advanced Data Discount + 20% off w/ SMB Business Account Discount, + my $100 NE2 let me walk out of the store without having to lay out even a single Washington. On my Centro, just like my 700p before, I can't imagine using this device without data. I check my email, do Google Maps, IM, and do some modest web browsing with the phone. Right after I got the phone in fact, I used it to buy movie tickets on Fandango while on the way to the theater...
    Global Posts
    760 Global Posts
    Joehello reading your post and it jogged my memory. Wasn't the Centro supposed to come with IM on it? If it is what program is it?
    Thinking about getting the Centro on VzW here soon.
    A few questions:

1. Is there anyway that I should have to pay more than 99$ for a 2-yr contract. I have had my previous phone for over 2 years. I am NOT the primary number on the account. Will this effect my price in any way?
    2. How well does the VzW Centro sync with a MacBook. I have read that it does well but also read that I will need to purchase themissingsync. Any experience with this. I just want to sync my iCal.
    3. From iTunes, if i burn a cd, and then reload it and then switch it to AAP file or whatever it is, will it then load onto the Centro? Can this be done via hotsync?
    4. Will i be able to access the internet when i am on the "Extended Network"?

New to the smartphone game, so any explination; general or specific, will help out.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mabus View Post
    2. How well does the VzW Centro sync with a MacBook. I have read that it does well but also read that I will need to purchase themissingsync. Any experience with this. I just want to sync my iCal.
    2. with native iSync and iCal you can sync your phone to iCal. MissingSync is the uber 'sync' everything tool Palm Desktop should have been.. but you do not 'need' it to sync iCal.