Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 LastLast
    I just purchased an Invisible Shield for the Centro at: http://www.zagg.com

Get 20% off Invisible Shield by using coupon code: pcworld20

Just used it and it works!
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by reciecup2000 View Post
    Ok...I have a 755p and decided I wanted the Centro cuz I wanted to be fashionable.

I currently have the $45 unlimited data plan and after reading about everyones issue with the $29 data plan I figured I was just stuck with my $45 data plan. Well, I just ordered my Centro and the customer service rep asked if this was a personal phone and I said yes. She said OK so I'll set you up $29 data plan for you without me asking or saying a word. Now my centro is getting shipped and I got the $29 data plan.... HURRAY!!!!
    As I said before, there IS another data plan (see post #253 with even a photo) BUT that plan is a limited 10mb plan, not an unlimited.. so we will see if you got what you think. From what I understand, it is just not even possible for them - in their system - to even apply that unlimited $29 data plan floating around to a Centro. I was told that AND was told is was not even for the Centro if they could but on for the BB as a BB is REQUIRED to have a data plan to activate and a Centro is not so they made that $29 plan more for those cases... not that I really care as I plan to not use any plan
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    As I said before, there IS another data plan (see post #253 with even a photo) BUT that plan is a limited 10mb plan, not an unlimited.. so we will see if you got what you think. From what I understand, it is just not even possible for them - in their system - to even apply that unlimited $29 data plan floating around to a Centro. I was told that AND was told is was not even for the Centro if they could but on for the BB as a BB is REQUIRED to have a data plan to activate and a Centro is not so they made that $29 plan more for those cases... not that I really care as I plan to not use any plan
    I think and hope you are wrong! The 10meg data plan is $25 not $29.99!

From Palm Blog:

Centro is the first Palm product to offer Verizon Wireless' new Email and Web for Smartphone plan at $29.99 a month, making it the lowest cost data plan ever for a Palm device on Verizon Wireless. And it's currently the only touch screen smartphone to be available on the top three U.S. carriers for under 100 bucks (with a rebate and 2-year contract).

From VZW when it was offered:

E-mail and Web for Smartphone is available for $29.99 monthly access with a qualifying voice plan through business sales channels, at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City. The plan is currently available on the Verizon Wireless SMT5800; the Verizon Wireless XV6800 and the MOTO Q9m. Other devices will be added within the next few months. An E-mail and Web for BlackBerry® plan is currently available.

They must of added the Centro to this plan!
    O.K. So what we need is for somebody with the 29.99 data plan to log on or scan in their documents so we see exactly what the plan entails. I do not expect to see the word "unlimited" but I hope it is closer to 5GB than 10MB.

Also, would like one of our lucky new owners to tell us exactly what versions of software they got on the phone... what version number/name is PTunes, etc.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    dude.. I would NEVER do that.. NVbackup will carry over stuff specific to the 700 series NOT for a Centro. Even has competing file/app names and that could just wrek havoc.

I did, and would only recommend, 'selectively' pulling pieces and not just a blind backup set from another model phone.
    So, in other words, you can't answer my question since you didn't (and would never) try it. Actually, I am very familiar with the variations in Garnet between the 755 and a Centro versions, but I appreciate the warning seeing as how you probably thought I may not know what I was doing.
    This is from VZW news link regarding Centro:

Pricing and Availability
    The Palm Centro smartphone will be available online at www.verizonwireless.com and in Verizon Wireless Communications Stores, including those in Circuit City, for $99.99 after a $70 mail-in rebate with a new two-year customer agreement. Customers may want to pair their Centro voice plan with Verizon Wireless’ E-mail and Web for Smartphone service for $29.99. This is an unlimited monthly data plan for Web browsing and e-mail support and includes personal e-mail accounts. To tether the Centro to a laptop with a USB cable, customers may opt to include a BroadbandAccess Connect plan in their service package for $30.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/06/pr2008-06-12.html

Like Larry David would say - feelin pretty good! But think about it, its still alot of $$$.
    Last edited by miles4000; 06/12/2008 at 02:33 PM.

Once they offered me the $29.99 plan I did ask questions as to what it entailed. I was informed that it was an unlimited data plan just did not have wireless sync or any enterprise capability.

All the email - pop3, imap etc and web surfing that I wanted.

I even called back and talked to a second CSR to verify what the first CSR told me. And the second one confirmed everything.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    Also, would like one of our lucky new owners to tell us exactly what versions of software they got on the phone... what version number/name is PTunes, etc.
    Here you go... (not doing ALL of them, it's a long list!!!); ask if you want to know about one not seen here:

Bluetooth 3.3A
    Brightness 1.0
    Calendar 1.3.4
    Camcorder 1.0.0.0
    Camera 3.5.3.2
    Card Info 2.0
    Contacts 1.3.4
    GoogleMaps 1.2.0.9
    Memos 1.3.3
    Messaging 2.7
    Phone 2.5B
    Pics&Videos 3.5.4.4
    pTunes 4.0.4 (4.0.7 avail for download)
    Sounds 1.1
    Tasks 1.3.3
    Voice Memo 1.4
    VoiceDial 2.0.55
    Web 4.5
    Tomorrow begins the hunt for it in stores! I called a few VZW stores today (central NJ) and they didnt have it.
    Quote Originally Posted by duanedude1 View Post
    O.K. So what we need is for somebody with the 29.99 data plan to log on or scan in their documents so we see exactly what the plan entails. I do not expect to see the word "unlimited" but I hope it is closer to 5GB than 10MB.

See my post here
    Right off the bat that doesnt sound right, I was told that employee discounts are for only voice portion of plans (not data). Plus didnt you read this link regarding Centro launch.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2008/06/pr2008-06-12.html

It clearly states that its $29.99 for unlimited Web and Email.
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    Tomorrow begins the hunt for it in stores! I called a few VZW stores today (central NJ) and they didnt have it.
    I checked with 2 stores in my area (Boise, ID) and they have them in stock but won't sell them to me until tomorrow

Thanks to those who verified the 29.99 data plan. I printed out the press release which says it is available so they will know what is going on when I buy the phone.
    Right off the bat that doesnt sound right, I was told that employee discounts are for only voice portion of plans (not data).
    I don't think this is true anymore- it depends on the employer. The data discount may be equal to the voice discount, some other amount, or none at all. I'm definitely getting a 20% discount, but unfortunately the base amount looks wrong.
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    I think and hope you are wrong! The 10meg data plan is $25 not $29.99!
    I know, I know, I know.. I did not mention the 29.99 price in my post, I just merely pointed out there are 2 available plans as of last night when I bought it and checked my Verizon account online.. and my image from the post proves that!!! are you looking at that??

one would think if they had the ability, last night or today, to add a $29 data plan.. WHY WOULD IT NOT BE IN MY LIST of available plans to add on my phone??

so, they will offer a 24.99 (low) and a 44.99 (high).. but no 29.99 (middle) to select from??? where is the logic in that?? would all the plans possible you could add be in your options to add or remove?? they would risk losing me having a data plan if they could offer it to me last night???

UPDATE: so I called my VZW rep who helped me last night and he explained.. the plan is there, they were given a list of phones the 29$ plan would and would NOT work with, the Centro was NOT on the list as of last night, thus, they would not add it as if they added it, and it did not work or was recognized as a plan usable by the phone, you would have a massive bill as you would have had no plan that kicked in. so, as per the list, no ability to add that plan.. last night... now, having told them about this new press release dated today, they said great.. it will likely be possible to add correctly in the system come Friday on the official release date. which falls in line with my speculation in the paragraph above and with the official announcement. just take in the press release to be safe and be done with it as it looks like, when they 'officially' release them - no random buys like mine or random phone orders like others - you will get what you want.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/12/2008 at 04:34 PM.
    etard - I just wanted to verify which was the correct plan, it would of sucked big time if it was $45 only.

Could VZW make this more confusing?
    Quote Originally Posted by temple View Post
    Has anyone else in the MD/VA/DC area tried to get information about the release date?
    Temple, I spoke to a salesman at the 1314 F St NW store by phone this morning. He guaranteed the phones would be available tomorrow when they open at 8 AM. He said he could not sell me a phone today. He seemed to suggest he has them on hand but policy dictates he wait until 6/13 to sell them. This is consistent with some people on this board having received centros; I guess some vz employees feel less constrained by policy than others.

See you at 8? :-)
    I went to the Saratoga, NY VZW store. The manager told me he had them in stock, but would not sell me one until tomorrow.

He also told me that if you are currently on a data plan (with your existing phone), you cannot receive the $100 Advance Device credit. He said it was only for those people upgrading to a data plan who did not have one before???
    Verizon Centro now on Verizon Web site For Sale...

AND... they are showing a 1600 mAh battery for $39.99.
    The picture looks like a Centro battery (look at the contacts). Can't read what it says on the battery.
    I'll have to visit a store. I don't believe it's true. Gonna need to see for myself.
    Last edited by floridatony; 06/12/2008 at 10:44 PM.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    The web site is not yet set up for the $29.99 plan.