Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Just making the point that maybe a Centro is not necessarily the best choice out there any more, even for people like eTard and me who have previously been committed to the Palm platform. The main issue left is leaving Verizon. I've had good support from Verizon, and I'm not sure about switching to AT&T, but it's likely they're better than Sprint.
    Funny, if Verizon had come out with the Centro on June 1, I probably would have bought one immediately. Now I'm not so sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by treogolfer View Post
    Just looking for a good honest opinion if I am loosing anything by going from 755p to centro?
    I have a Centro and I use it for the internet, eMail, & text. All work fine. The eMail sometimes downloads slow but not so slow I would switch back to my Treo 680. The size is great. And why do people keep calling it an entry level phone, It DOES everything previous Palms have done. If you look on this forum most have had Palms for a while and now own a Centro or will this Friday.
    Florida Tony
    GSM: Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Centro > iPhone 3G S
    You cant tell me that the Centro is a top of the line phone as compared to other smartphones. Its size, limited battery and price make it a entry level first time smartphone for most users. I was just trying to make the point with this phone I believe VZW should offer a lower tier data plan. (Non enterprise more consumer plan).
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Grace View Post
    Funny, if Verizon had come out with the Centro on June 1, I probably would have bought one immediately. Now I'm not so sure.
    Whats so special about June 1?
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    yeah, I saw that last week actually on iphoneatlas.com... actually watched a video as well. experimental, long way off, and may only allow apps and not ported Plam data.
    The only drawback of getting an iPhone is that you are still stuck with AT&T and their afwul cust. service! I woudl not go this AT&T for any reason been their done that!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Just making the point that maybe a Centro is not necessarily the best choice out there any more, even for people like eTard and me who have previously been committed to the Palm platform. The main issue left is leaving Verizon. I've had good support from Verizon, and I'm not sure about switching to AT&T, but it's likely they're better than Sprint.
    It has been my experience that AT&T and Sprint are tied for rotten service. An IPhone is out of the Question for that very reason. I love verizon's cust service & my G/F is also on Verizon so our calls are free, (our cals to each other add up, as long distance (one county over from mine), is free for me on my land line. Hower my G/F has only a cell!

The question here is how much are they going to charge us for a data plan?

Take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    1. in my area of SoCal, VZW is king coverage. AND, nationwide, they are hard to beat. period. I personally have had good customer service.. so I really want to stay with VZW if possible

2. the new 3G iPhone is enticing.. but due to #1, not likely me switching. if there was a VZW version - likely years away given many reasons not worth detailing here - I would have switched away from Palm and just stored my data or found hack ways to carry it over.

3. yes, there are interesting iPhone "web apps" (meaning you can ONLY access them if you have an internet connection - which is not always realistic (on plane for example) - and they live on the web as web pages/apps and not on your phone) that make moving some of my data over and just changing the format nearly possible. But it would require a lot of work to make it happen and would no longer be accessible as I need it to be as I use it daily. SO not an actual feasible option when you really truly look at it if I was going to jump ship.

4. The new announced actual coming native iphone apps, however, open up the potential for developers to make actual apps that mimic exactly what the key apps I need and want to carry over legacy Palm data (calendar & notes, memos, todo lists) and I believe 100% that some iPhone app developer will work on doing this quickly as Treo users with legacy data they want to port over are a huge possible market and they would be willing to pay the $9.95 per app (seems like the average price of the new iPhone apps) to bring over legacy data and get out from under Palm. If this were to happen, I would/will consider jumping palm ship and forgoing #1. Believe me, I have been all over and looked at all the ways to carry over legacy data to an iphone and it is just not there yet as I said in #3. To do it, it is all split up, web apps, not the same format, etc. It is a hack job to get it to happen and still not complete. BUT, native iPhone apps on the phone.. I believe 100% now that it is coming thanks to Apple opening up a developer channel, a channel so valued, they cannot even keep up with all of the developer apps they got who want to make native iphone apps . Heck, even StyleTap is in beta with a semi possible first solution.. now look what will happen with flow blown developer support with the chance to make revenue dollars. you can BET someone will make Palm type products capable of carrying over legacy palm data to the iPhone. even the makers of The Missing Sync made a killing selling an improved Palm sync product... treo users with out dated equipment wanting newer technology is a massive market for these developers to tap into.

5. As what Dr. Grace said - and you are talking to a long time Palm user from back in the Handspring days.. legacy data going back more years than I care to recall, but also do not want to/can't afford lose, Palm (and the centro) just may have been dealt a death blow and no longer the best choice as this starts to unravel in the coming months. The price structure, as compared to the new iPhone pricing announced just today for a vastly more state of the art OS on a phone, functionality, expandability, developer community make the Palm centro solution pricing by VZW laughable & the technology and OS even more aged. but becuase of previous points, I still may be stuck...

but I now see light at the end of the tunnel and todays Apple announcements, making official rumors I have read for months, just might spell the end of Palm being one of the ruling PDA "smartphones" - heck, when you look at what the iPhone can do.. it makes calling the Treo, ANY treo now or past, a 'smartphone' a real joke. they are light years apart... but sadly, I value my legacy data so much, I must continue to ride that slow Palm train until someone makes a way to port ALL of my data, in its format, away and keep it intact and usable. so, because of the small form factor - my #1 goal, and the newer BT version - my #2 goal as it should talk to my Ford Sync system better, and the fact I might be able to get it dirt cheap - my #3 factor, I suspect I will own yet one more Palm device by the end of the week as it is just the simple reality of what I need now and how long out it will likely before before what I want will be available. But believe me, I want off this train badly.
    Last edited by eTard; 06/10/2008 at 12:33 AM.
    Yet, with so many Apple people now at Palm, we do not know what the next BIG thing will be from Palm. I expect now the road we will see a new Palm product different from the treo line. hopefully it will be something like the iphone with a slide out keyboard, so it would be a marriage of both. With so many Apple designers now at Palm, how can I think otherwise?

I sold my 650 about a year and a half ago and went back to a cell phone the 650 was much to buggy and I am waiting to see what happens. My cousin has an iPhone and for all of the slick presentation of Mr Jobs. I did not like it. Unless it has a keyboard I will never use it!
    I called VZW this morning, regarding the Centro order I placed yesterday, and I have a tracking number. Looks like I'll have it tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    Remember, Verizon was, what, ~6 months late to the Treo 650 party? So by the time the VZW version of the 650 launched, they'd already "fixed" the major NVFS bug that it launched with. And a few other smaller bugs were addressed as well as updating some of the bundled apps.

And VZW's version of the 755p ships with the 1.06 ROM, vs. the 1.04 that the Sprint 755p launched with.

So I'll wager that IF Palm has any major ROM updates in store for the Centro, the VZW will incorporate at least a portion of those from the get-go, and it'll be available to Sprint users via download a few weeks/months later.
    VZW always lets their competitors do their testing for them. It gets flack from users, but saves a bundle. Pretty smart I'd say.

Remember, VZW does NOT do preorders, (certain friends still do favors) so be wary of such posts. Even TeleSales won't do that. The store can do no more than "Hold" one for you when it comes in, but they clamped down on the special stuff a while ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Can you still use the special promo code to get 2,000 txt messages free?
    Anybody able to get this with the Centro?
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheesehead007 View Post
    I called VZW this morning, regarding the Centro order I placed yesterday, and I have a tracking number. Looks like I'll have it tomorrow
    I'll be interested to see some photos posted up when you get it
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    The question here is how much are they going to charge us for a data plan?
    seems pretty clear to me as several of us have posted up, having been told by VZW reps on same day, the 2 options: $29 and a $45 (or 49) priced options.
    I hope you are right because I called VZW and its not clear that it will be offered on $29.99 data plan. I guess we will find out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by eTard View Post
    I'll be interested to see some photos posted up when you get it
    If it's indeed the Centro that they ship, I'll post "unboxing" pics. Unfortunately, it occurs to me that I ordered a car charger with the phone. What do you bet, that's what shipped?

I wouldn't put it past VZW to ship me a 755p either. We'll see tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    It has been my experience that AT&T and Sprint are tied for rotten service.
    Wow, I thought Sprint's customer service was "unequaled" (in the poorness category). To be tied with Sprint, AT&T must really be bad.

So, the choice is a revolutionary new iPhone on a crappy provider, or a pretty good and versatile, but by now somewhat boring, Centro, on VZW.
    I would judge the carrier on coverage, phones and cost. I can count on one hand how many times I needed to call customer support over the last few years.
    That's what I thought before I tried out Sprint for almost a month, and I had to deal with their horrible service for a couple of months afterward because they insisted that I'd returned the phone after the 30 day period, which was untrue.

Everything is fine if you don't need to deal with Customer service, but woe to you if you do!
    That's what I thought before I tried out Sprint for almost a month, and I had to deal with their horrible service for a couple of months afterward because they insisted that I'd returned the phone after the 30 day period, which was untrue.

Everything is fine if you don't need to deal with Customer service, but woe to you if you do!
    I had a nextel and VZW for work for a while. Used the nextel as it had better coverage at the house and office. (that has been fixed) but when sprint bought nextel they messed it all up. I had a phone go bad and tried to get a new one. It was the top end model when I purchased it. They would only replace with low in model. I obviously worked my way to a decision maker and she would not give me the time of day. spent 2 minutes with her and as I was going trough my arguement she said she appreciated my business but that I was now free to port my number....so I did.....went to AT&T had a treo problem from the time i got it. after 3 monthes they said it was the phone and they would send me a refurb because I was out of my 30 days. I said I had this problem from the begining and I wanted a new phone. they said i was correct but would not send me a new one. after an hour they let me out of contract and everything and VZW took back with open arms like I never left. sprint and ATT get all the new phone, but if you have a problem you are screwed..
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 ... LastLast