1.    #1  
    Hi all:

I have been using Takephone, a wonderful application, for several months on my T680.

I especially like using the ability to have a single family contact (or Company contact), and within it have individually phone numbers, for example for each family member with their names or other indications, or several other phone numbers with some text after them for identification purposes. That way I look up Benson for instance, and all the Benson phone numbers appear, with a small text after each number, for identification.

However, I have discovered that this facility must be initially used in the native phone database, because if I modify any numberīs name from within Takephone, or do any modication editing from within Takephone, the text disappears next time up! I am using Takephone v. 7.55 build 027, but the problem has been happening since several versions past.

I must be doing something wrong... Some help will be welcome.

Ed.
    CHARCAPE
    HP200LX (6 years, excellent) - Treo 180 - Tungsten E - Treo 680
    Are you selecting the field title to the left of the number in the details screen to edit the number? If I do this, I can enter text select ok on the screen; and it will go back to the details screen with the text there. Not sure how you are doing it.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Quote Originally Posted by charcape7 View Post
    Hi all:

I have been using Takephone, a wonderful application, for several months on my T680.

I especially like using the ability to have a single family contact (or Company contact), and within it have individually phone numbers, for example for each family member with their names or other indications, or several other phone numbers with some text after them for identification purposes. That way I look up Benson for instance, and all the Benson phone numbers appear, with a small text after each number, for identification.

However, I have discovered that this facility must be initially used in the native phone database, because if I modify any numberīs name from within Takephone, or do any modication editing from within Takephone, the text disappears next time up! I am using Takephone v. 7.55 build 027, but the problem has been happening since several versions past.

I must be doing something wrong... Some help will be welcome.

Ed.
    I'm not aware that you can edit from within TAKEphONE. You have to select a Helper app that you want to do edits from (Under Preferences, Helpers).

EDIT: I see from the above post that you can edit from the details screen from within TAKEphONE. Hmm, I've never done it this way.

I don't see the small text you are refering to, unless you're talking about the (M), (H), etc. that you see after the name when navigating the i-bar or in the Call log or Redial lists.
    Last edited by NachoB; 03/17/2008 at 11:11 AM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I am not sure I am understanding your problem correctly. However, if I got it right I did not even know that was possible.

Anyway, if I understand you correctly, you are putting multiple phone numbers and identifying text in a single phone number entry, as opposed to splitting them up into individual entries thus having one contact for every member of a family which lists, for example, the cell phone number of each member under the line for Mobile. If I am right in my understanding, then your entries could get pretty long. Currently, TakePhone has a phone number field limit of 80 characters. This was only increased to 80 characters in one of the last few betas. Perhaps you are running into this limit. In my experience, the limit only effects the entry once an attempt to edit the entry is made in TakePhone. The limit within the built-in Contacts app is 254 characters. Shimon has stated that at some point in the future he plans to increase the limit within TakePhone.

If I am understanding your set up incorrectly then ignore the following. I am curious as to how you implement this scheme. How do you separate the numbers? by comma or some other character? How are the names delineated and associated with a number? are they bracketed in some way? Also, is there a setting in TakePhone that you have to allow this to work or is it automatically handled in TakePhone? When you select the number for dialing with the multiple names/numbers, what happens? are you given a select list? what shows up on the call screen? the name of the person called or the name of the contact?

Thanks.
    Regards, RoninKSB
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Are you selecting the field title to the left of the number in the details screen to edit the number? If I do this, I can enter text select ok on the screen; and it will go back to the details screen with the text there. Not sure how you are doing it.
    No, I enter the phone number in the space next to "Work" for example and then put the text following the number, for instance "Supervisor". When I do this from within the original phone app, the text appears in Takephone, BUT when I edit the contact from within TP the text I write does not appear the next time I open said contact. (I use TP as Helper)

If I understand you correctly, should I put the text to the LEFT of the phone number, that is, before the number?

Thanks for replies
    CHARCAPE
    Quote Originally Posted by charcape7 View Post
    No, I enter the phone number in the space next to "Work" for example and then put the text following the number, for instance "Supervisor". When I do this from within the original phone app, the text appears in Takephone, BUT when I edit the contact from within TP the text I write does not appear the next time I open said contact. (I use TP as Helper)

If I understand you correctly, should I put the text to the LEFT of the phone number, that is, before the number?

Thanks for replies
    no, when I open a contact in TP, I can edit the info in say the "home" number, by pressing or selecting the "home" label. This brings up the entry with a dailpad screen. Using the keyboard, I can enter supervisor(right or left doesn't matter), then press ok on the screen. It will go back to the contact details in TP with the info there. I'm not sure what you mean by helper, it should be "contacts-padd" in TP preferences if you're using a treo.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  7.    #7  
    Thanks. It Worked!

You can edit any number in TP tapping the "Work" - "Home" etc settings and entering the text there. Saves a lot of time.
    CHARCAPE
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    Are you selecting the field title to the left of the number in the details screen to edit the number? If I do this, I can enter text select ok on the screen; and it will go back to the details screen with the text there.
    I had no idea you could edit the number that way. You learn something everyday.

Tks frantid
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
    WOW! I didn't know that either! I tested it out, and it works! Pretty nifty!