1.    #1  
    Hi,

I have a question re: Treo 650 on Alltel & I've posted it on the CDMA operators forum. Alltel was able to get voice & SMS working but denies it can get data working. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

- Andi
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiS1 View Post
    Hi,

I have a question re: Treo 650 on Alltel & I've posted it on the CDMA operators forum. Alltel was able to get voice & SMS working but denies it can get data working. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

- Andi
    Assuming this is an Alltel 650, data should work just fine, with or without a data plan at that. I used my 650 for data all the time and now my 700p. I don't have a data plan so it just uses my minutes. What type of problem are you having?

Will
    Instantwill, almost as good as fresh brewed!
    My smartphone's not so smart...
    Moto ST7790I>>Moto T720>>Moto v265>>Moto v710>> Moto e815>>Moto e816(Alltel 05.05.03 Flash)
    Handspring Visor Edge>>Palm Zire 71>> Palm Zire 72>> Palm Treo 650>> Treo 700wx (with threaded sms & mms)>> Treo 700p>> Treo 755p
  3.    #3  
    Hi Will,

Thanks for the reply. It seems that the unit was originally a Cellular South unit that was then unlocked/flashed and used on Alltel. When I dial 611, it connects to Alltel cust svc. Since I'm not in either carrier footprint, I sold it to someone who is in Alltel territory.

They've gotten the PRL updated so now it doesn't roam anymore. Not sure how they are able to determine it was a Cell South unit since it is an unbranded casing, perhaps from the ESN? The phone s/w ends in "CDMA" which is used by both CellSouth and Alltel.

How does one get the T650 to make a data call without the data plan? Maybe we can try it that way & get them up on data that way. I know that my 700P on Verizon does dial some number when it makes a data call, I just don't recall what that # is off hand.

Where do we set up the settings for the data call? Prefs/Connection/network?

If you use the dial up, is it then measured by minutes connected & just decrements from you minute allocation?

Thanks for all your help.

- Andi
    >Where do we set up the settings for the data call? Prefs/Connection/network?

Under Prefs>Network> create a service called Alltel of whatever. Set connection to Virtual Modem. User name should be 1234567890@alltel.net and password is alltel (replace numbers with the phones number). Phone number to dial is #777. Tap connect and see if it will connect.

>If you use the dial up, is it then measured by minutes connected & just decrements from you minute allocation?

Well, on my account, it uses my anytime minutes just like a call. It does show up as data on the bill, but billed against my anytime minutes.

If he did the *228 and it connected to Alltel, they should have told you to go to option 3 first and then redial *228 and do option 2. This should properly program and provision the phone for data.

Will
    Moto ST7790I>>Moto T720>>Moto v265>>Moto v710>> Moto e815>>Moto e816(Alltel 05.05.03 Flash)
    Handspring Visor Edge>>Palm Zire 71>> Palm Zire 72>> Palm Treo 650>> Treo 700wx (with threaded sms & mms)>> Treo 700p>> Treo 755p
  5.    #5  
    Thanks Will!

Once again, a classic case of carrier reps not being the most informed or willing to try to solve something that requires a little bit of thinking.

The user is up & running.

- Andi
    Quote Originally Posted by AndiS1 View Post
    Thanks Will!

Once again, a classic case of carrier reps not being the most informed or willing to try to solve something that requires a little bit of thinking.

The user is up & running.

- Andi
    You're certainly welcome. Glad I could help.
    Will