1.    #1  
    I have the 4BG Kingston microSDHC card and it seem to be having problems whenever a make a read or write. Afterwards the device completely disappears. I then have to remove and reinsert my battery, remove the card and put it back in the slot at least 3 times before the Centro recognizes my card. The worse part is that after I moved files into the card I have one chance to play an mp3 file then the card disappears. So I tried to reformat the card with the card reader software. That did not help. I don't really know if a software is responsible. I don't know what to do at this point.
    This is a long-standing disease of the Palm OS that hits here and there and so on and so on. Jeff Gibson has a series of applications that address this to some degree. His latest release is Safeguard - it is a dissusion in the Palm OS forum.

As a note, there is no cure for it, though these applications will minimize it.

Ben
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    As far as I can tell this is a problem peculiar to the Kingston 4GB microSD card. It just disappears. I have both a Centro and a Treo 680 and it does the same thing on both. The Centro has no programs installed the 680 is chock full.
    Last edited by RoninKSB; 03/18/2008 at 07:46 AM.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    I think I might have found a solution to the problem. Re-format the card on your computer using the Panasonic SD Card Formatter (should be able to find it with a quick Google search). So far, so good.
    Last edited by RoninKSB; 03/18/2008 at 01:12 AM.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    I think I might have found a solution to the problem. Re-format the card on your computer using the Panasonic SD Card Formatter (should be able to find it with a quick Google search). So far, so good.
    How is your solution working for you? I also have a Kingston microSD card and have the same prob.

I found that SafeGuard 2.02 works well, however I'm not sure I need all that it offers just to keep my memory card mounted, especially if there is a more permanent solution (and cheaper alternative).
    First of all, I don't agree that it is a problem with Kingston cards. It happens with all cards. It just happens more with Kingston cards because they are the cheapest and more people have them. Second, if you don't want to pay for SafeGuard, which I don't understand (its well worth the investment), then try the freeware app, Card Keeper 1.3.01 or something like that. There are two versions of this app out there, you want the one that was updated by Jeff Gibson. It has the card mounting addition.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    Re-formatting the card cured the problem entirely.

I will say again that my problem was not the Palm OS "vanishing card bug". I am pretty familiar with that bug and, in my experience, the simplest solution to that problem is to have fewer programs load in the background during the boot sequence. This issue has nothing to do with the card as far as I can tell. For example, I used PowerHero and there were a couple of versions of the program that could cause the SD to fail to mount or lose an existing mounted card. PowerHero was changed and the problem disappeared. If the problem you are having is that problem then something like cardkeeper might help but you should consider investigating which programs you have running in the background as one of them might be the cause. I tried SafeGuard but felt that with it set up the way I wanted it that the memory load was too great considering other programs that I have running in the background, also I have my phone pretty damn stable these days so my need was not great either. Anyway, the problem I was experiencing with the microSD card occurred in both my 680 and my Centro and SafeGuard did not help. I would put the card in and seconds later it would disappear, I would wait a few minutes and put the card in again, it would appear and disappear again a few seconds later. IN fact, it even dismounted during reading and writing to the card in RescoExplorer, this was unlike the way the card had been lost before and was completely alleviated once I reformatted the card using the Panasonic SD formatter.

On a side note, there are some really gungho users of SafeGuard out there, this is, at least, the second post I have seen by someone who found it incomprehensible that another someone would not have need for the program.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Jeff had said that cardkeeper has not been ported to work properly with the Centro. I would like SafeGuard however at this moment my software budget is a little tight after upgrading a few apps to get them to work with my Centro. Also if there is a permanent fix in how the Card is formatted it would not tax my phone performance
    Quote Originally Posted by RoninKSB View Post
    On a side note, there are some really gungho users of SafeGuard out there, this is, at least, the second post I have seen by someone who found it incomprehensible that another someone would not have need for the program.
    Incomprehensible is your word, not mine. To me SafeGuard is like an insurance policy. You don't plan on being sick or dying, but you get insurance just in case, cause you know eventually you will. A Treo can be very stable...until it isn't. But I respect anyone's choice of what they want to put on their phone. I also appreciate your knowledge of the invisible card bug. While it is certainly possible for any card to be faulty, even with the aforementioned bug, sometimes reformatting the card worked.

Toymaker, thanks for the update on Card Keeper. I was not aware that it wasn't stable on the Centro, although I never found it to be real stable on my 755p. It would continue to flicker and when I would check the boxes they wouldn't stay checked. I've done a lot of research on this myself, and have three Kingston Mini cards. Two have been fine, the third was lost to the bug mentioned above. It was Rob Johnson's (of HobbyistSoftware) theory that too many apps (particularly apps that worked in the background would cause the invisibility. However, recently the issue occurred with two different posters where they only had one app loaded (which was a background app). I guess what I react too is that so many people rush to replace their card, when in fact the card is perfectly fine.
    Global Posts
    556 Global Posts
    toymaker, please let us know if formatting works for you.

Treo Musketeers, I considered "incomprehensible" to be a synonym for the phrase "I don't understand" under the circumstances. I was actually just trying to express my amazement in how loyal a following SafeGuard has developed in such a short time.

As to being "stable until it isn't" truer words have never been spoken! There have been many occasions over the last year when SafeGuard would have save me a lot of time. However, I have come to the conclusion that a large part of my problem was my insistence on constantly tweaking and adding new software to my Treo. I have stopped that (by and large) and have settled down. As a result, I have almost no problems.

As to the vanishing card, in the past it has never been the card, it was the Treo or software on it. My theory for an explanation of what happened this time is that Kingston formatted the card in some manner that did not comply with the SD standard.
    Regards, RoninKSB
    Global Posts
    206 Global Posts
    I had the 4GB Kingston I got from Frys...wouldent read...write....total POS. Went back to frys 8hrs Later...Crap

Brian
    Police Officer: Sir, your eyes are red, are you drunk?

Drunk Driver: Officer, have you been eating donuts, your eyes are glazed?
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts
    Well it's time for an update.
    A few days ago I replaced my Centro at the AT&T store since it was the last day I could do an exchange and I haven't had a problem since. Now I still think the Kingston card is very slow but I haven't lost a connection to it yet. I never did get a chance to format it using the Panasonic SD tool and my trial of SafeGuard ran out a while ago.

I think in my case it was a device problem.