Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    When I plug my headphones into my Centro, only the right side works. Yes, I have stereo headphones and yes I have a stereo adapter. If I push on it a certain way, I can get it to work, but if I let go, only the right side works.

I've tried different headphones, 3 different adapters and ow I exchanged the phone. The new phone does the same thing. Is anyone else having this problem?
    Unfortunately, one of the weak design points of Palm phones is the jack. The connection is not soldered correctly or something. Consequently you sometimes lose sound in the headphones or worse, you lose sound in the speakerphone after you unplug the headphones, because the jack still thinks its plugged in. Not sure if this is related to the problem you're having, but it sounds like it. Try plugging it in crisply and firmly and unplugging it a couple of times and see if that helps any.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Unfortunately, one of the weak design points of Palm phones is the jack. The connection is not soldered correctly or something. Consequently you sometimes lose sound in the headphones or worse, you lose sound in the speakerphone after you unplug the headphones, because the jack still thinks its plugged in. Not sure if this is related to the problem you're having, but it sounds like it. Try plugging it in crisply and firmly and unplugging it a couple of times and see if that helps any.
    been there, done that. on my 650, i also used an adapter that connected through the sync connector. but alas, it doesn't work in the centro at all.
    I had this problem with my Centro too. It was when I was using a 4 conductor 2.5mm->3.5mm adapter with my 3.5mm headphones.

I switched to a 3 conductor 2.5mm->3.5mm adapter and I now have stereo.

Search the Centro forums for headphones...you will find more details on this.

Franko
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    buy the correct adapter from palm.

http://store.palm.com/product/index....entPage=family
    Good post, Franko. I've made note of that fix in an article I'm writing.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbone View Post

unfortunately, that's the one i bought a few years ago for my 650. it only gives me sound on the right side. i'll try another adapter once again before switching out the phone again. thanks.
    I bought this one...it did not work with my stereo headphones:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7127

I then bought this one, and it works with my headphone and line-in for my car stereo.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.733
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
  9. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    I bought this one...it did not work with my stereo headphones:
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7127

I then bought this one, and it works with my headphone and line-in for my car stereo.
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.733
    Agreed its an adaptor thingy. Try twisting it gently around you will get stereo sound at some positions. Well, that will teach me for buying adaptors that cost US$0.99
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy View Post
    Agreed its an adaptor thingy. Try twisting it gently around you will get stereo sound at some positions. Well, that will teach me for buying adaptors that cost US$0.99
    Now, I've got another issue that makes me think I need to swap the phone again. When I move the jack around in the Centro to try to get stereo sound, the program "Voice Dial" comes on. I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't think this is supposed to just pop on like that.....

Is there a way to disable Voice Dial?
    Doesn't Voice Dial map itself to the side button? If so, are you accidentally hitting the side button when your are messign with the jack?
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post
    Now, I've got another issue that makes me think I need to swap the phone again. When I move the jack around in the Centro to try to get stereo sound, the program "Voice Dial" comes on. I'm no rocket scientist, but I don't think this is supposed to just pop on like that.....

1. you should have never swapped the phone out , they're most likely giving you referbs. Which never good, considering you had a new phone from the begining.
    you should have just went to a local repair center and had them fix the headphone jack, turn around time is usually less then an hour-

2. you must have had a REALLY old Palm adapter elbow if it isnt/wasn't working because mine is pretty new and it worked on my 700p and my centro with no problems what so ever.
    I mostly use it in the car like an ipod so not having stereo sound isnt an option for me so i feel ur pain in not having it work.

3. even the adapter for 4.99 that they sell at radioshack works.
    I'm not sure this app has a trial mode, but I was just reading about it and wondered if it would help with this problem. Its called "Freedom."
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carbone View Post
    1. you should have never swapped the phone out , they're most likely giving you referbs. Which never good, considering you had a new phone from the begining.
    you should have just went to a local repair center and had them fix the headphone jack, turn around time is usually less then an hour-

2. you must have had a REALLY old Palm adapter elbow if it isnt/wasn't working because mine is pretty new and it worked on my 700p and my centro with no problems what so ever.
    I mostly use it in the car like an ipod so not having stereo sound isnt an option for me so i feel ur pain in not having it work.

3. even the adapter for 4.99 that they sell at radioshack works.
    1. They brought a new box out, I watched them open the box and I got a new one on Saturday. Today, they did it again. I watched her cut the seal and open the box.

2. There is a Radio Shack across the hall from the ATT store I went to. I tried their adapters before swapping out the phone.

3. My new Centro's headphone jack works but only if I pull the headphone jack out a little from the adapter. I've got another adapter coming that Franko recommended in an earlier thread and hopefully, I won't have to do it that way.

And no, I've got the side button mapped to voice memo not voice dial. I have no idea why voice dial would pop up when I'd fiddle with the jack.
    Quote Originally Posted by miller View Post

This always happened to me when I was playing music through my car stereo (via a tape cassette adapter). I don't remember where I read it, but this is a known problem with Voice Dial. The part of Voice Dial that allows you to press the button on a headset in order to activate it, is the problem. If you delete that little file (VoiceDial68K), the problem goes away (but also does your ability to activate Voice Dial via a button press from a wired headset).
    Check out http://mcentreville.deviantart.com/ for skins and wallpapers for TAKEphONE.
    Global Posts
    488 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post
    This always happened to me when I was playing music through my car stereo (via a tape cassette adapter). I don't remember where I read it, but this is a known problem with Voice Dial. The part of Voice Dial that allows you to press the button on a headset in order to activate it, is the problem. If you delete that little file (VoiceDial68K), the problem goes away (but also does your ability to activate Voice Dial via a button press from a wired headset).
    I'd delete voicedial68k in a heartbeat but it doesn't show up when I hit delete. Do I need to install Filez or a similar program to do that?
    yes, use FileZ
  18. e40
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    ... Consequently you sometimes lose sound in the headphones or worse, you lose sound in the speakerphone after you unplug the headphones, because the jack still thinks its plugged in.
    What an absolute pain in the ***. My Centro is less than 30 days old and today, after using a headset, the ear speaker stopped working. Didn't start working again until hours later when I figured out to try plugging in the headset again.
    Does the AT&T Centro also have the same problem of the audio jack getting flakey?

I just got the Seidio Inno Dock with the built-in audio jack (male connector molded on next to the multi-connector).

Now I'm concerned that it may not be a good idea to have a dock that uses the headphone jack like this everyday. I used to have the audio jack problem with other Treos where they would wear out and even cause the main speaker to stop working since it "thought" the jack was plugged in even when it was not. I figured that by now Palm would have solved this problem!
    Kyo 6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Centro -> (?)
    Quote Originally Posted by mcentreville View Post

How do I delete VoiceDial68K ? The file is in ROM.

I am trying to disable voicedial as I do not use it and it is annoying that everytime I press the wired headset button, voicedial gets activated.

Help please, anyone?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast