1.    #1  
    I have a 650 on AT&T, unlimited data for $20/month, 3 lines on family plan, contract almost up. I would like to get a Centro, and am wondering whether I should switch to Sprint.

+Faster data rate on Sprint.
    -Unknown future of money-losing company.
    -Unknown coverage (live in DC suburbs: probably good coverage).
    -Hassle and cost of switching providers and numbers.

Bottom line: is the faster data worth the other risks?
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    -Hassle and cost of switching providers and numbers.
    I doubt you are going to see Sprint just dissapear completely anytime soon.

Coverage, check the EVDO map for your common usage spots.

Sign up for SERO accounts, you can get 500 anytime minutes + unlimited sms + unlimited data + free nights + weekends at 7pm for $29 a month (larger minute packages available).

If you really don't want to deal with switching carriers in the first place then there's not much to be said. But I don't think it's going to be expensive other than the fact that you are ordering new phones (which doesn't really have to do with carrier costs, because you are upgrading phones), especially since Sprint plans are cheap.
    Live in Baltimore and have great coverage. Went from Verizon to Sprint and I couldn't be happier and saving money on my Sero plan!
    Here are my thoughts on Sprint after going to Hell and back with their customer service.

+Price (phones and service plans)
    +Coverage in the DC area, including underground (Metro)
    +Fast data network
    +Coverage map is very accurate
    -Customer service (this company deserves to go out of business)
    -Getting your first few bills sorted will likely be a hassle

Overall I am a big proponent of Sprint, as long as you don't have to deal with customer service. The people are very nice, but poorly trained. It's a company problem more then any individuals you are likely to deal with. Assuming you only need to cross customer service once-in-a-while, Sprint is a good bet in the DC area. Just be prepared for frustration when you need to call them.
    CS sucks, but you can get a lot of stuff out of them if you know how. I still managed to convert my current plan still in contract to a SERO plan without paying the ETF and I didn't even think it was possible anymore.

You can get a lot of discounts even with just emails.

A lot of companies have bad CS though.
    Sero beats everyone hands down for what's included at that price. You can keep your numbers, just port them over. The money you'll save with Sero will pay for the new phones. I tell people its a mistake not to switch to Sero, even if they are already a Sprint customer.

Their customer service is really bad, the best departments they have are the porting and rebate depts, they know what they're doing and will fix anything without much hassle. Customer Care is awful but once you have everything in order you shouldn't need to contact them ever again, well maybe in two years!

[Search for the Sero thread in this forum, top right below page number.]
    I like eCare. You may very likely get stupid responses or CSR's that don't know what you are talking about, but you can keep replying and you can do it at your own leisure without having to stay on the phone, deal with people on the phone, deal with having trouble understanding whats being said or vice versa, etc.

Also if you get them to agree to something with eCare, you have it in writing.
    Sprint is excellent. I sell Sprint and AT&T phones and dropped VZW for Sprint 2 years ago. It work just as welll as VZW did. And I'm not sure if you all know but you can call *4 and tell the automated system when it asks why are you calling that you had a dropped call. Just say "dropped call credit" and it will automatically credit your bill for the highest rate for 1 minute which is about 50 cents. You can do this like 20 times a month or up to $10 credit a month. They are not going out of business! Soon they will be upgrading to Rev A (even higher data speeds) however the only phone capable of that is the mogul (with a firmware upgrade). I never had any problems with customer service. You just need patience and they won't hestitate to credit you for inconvience. Get Sprint! You'll be satisfied.
    They already have Rev A in some areas too.
    can someone PM me info about SERO and how to get it. I have a personal business account through sprint, I would love to drop it and get a sero plan.
    Ive searched the forum and im not getting a clear answer on how to go about actually doing it, Im really fustrated with paying $140+ a month for two lines.
    Sorry for my ignorance
    Use the Search feature above the page numbers on the main page of this forum and search Sero. You'll find the thread "PrePay Sero Loophole?" for people who already have a Sprint account.

I was going to ask if anyone has any recent info on switching? My friend hasn't made the jump yet. I think she's concerned since she can't lose the phone for a minute. I told her to do it when she's on vacation!
  12.    #12  
    Update: I finally have a Centro. I migrated from AT&T to Sprint, and 3G web access is *much* faster! I also like the smaller form factor. Thanks for the input while trying to decide.
    Palm user since 1999-04-16: III > IIIx > Vx > Sony N610c > SJ33 > Treo 650 GSM > Centro CDMA
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    Just curious as to why you switched, AT&T has a 3G Centro.

Don't get me wrong, I have Sprint and love them. I think they are cheaper, but it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me.
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    I thought the gsm centro's weren't 3g?
    Global Posts
    333 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    +Faster data rate on Sprint.
    -Hassle and cost of switching providers and numbers
    I see you've decided, but since I live near the DC area, I thought I'd comment that the Sprint coverage here has been pretty good for me so far. It must be at least somewhat variable around the area though, and I know I'm usually roaming in my office at work due to its location near the center of the building. But apart from that, I think Sprint's normally got me covered.

As for the other points, yes, I think the CDMA network has good data speeds, which is nice. I definitely notice the difference when I'm dropped back to the lower connection speed because the higher one isn't available. I don't know how much of a hassle the switch would be, but I think you should be able to keep your existing number and port it over to the new provider. As for the company itself, well, there was an article on this or another treo/palm related web board that talked about how Sprint was doing OK and could have good times ahead -- and that remark came from (IIRC) Verizon, one of Sprint's competitors. If you search around, you should be able to find the article, if you're interested. That never worried me though. Some members of my family have AT&T cell phones, and they often have trouble keeping a good connection -- that's a big reason I went with Sprint; that and I do so little traveling that I didn't think the GSM phone would really benefit me.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal99 View Post
    AT&T has a 3G Centro.
    No, my understanding is that the AT&T Centro only works at EDGE speeds - no 3G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff DLB View Post
    Update: I finally have a Centro. I migrated from AT&T to Sprint, and 3G web access is *much* faster! I also like the smaller form factor. Thanks for the input while trying to decide.
    Make sure to update us in a couple of months on Sprint with Centro...I'm thinking of moving to Sprint (from ATT) as well with either a Centro or 800w.
    i LOVE Sprint. great coverage, pricing, customer service, locations, speed, call quality, phone selection.

and i LOVE the $99/month ALL YOU CAN EAT/EVERYTHING plan.

best wishes.
    Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    i LOVE Sprint. great coverage, pricing, customer service, locations, speed, call quality, phone selection.

and i LOVE the $99/month ALL YOU CAN EAT/EVERYTHING plan.

best wishes.
    Ditto...except for the $99 plan I have a family plan.
    Terry
    I love Sprint - I have 5 lines with unlimited data on the talk/text/data plan. As a result, 3 of my phones have Sprint TV, 2 of them have Sprint Navigation, all have web...etc. I pay less than $200 total.

I've always had good CS experiences, as well.
    Everything's Amazing and Nobody's Happy

Treo600 --> Treo650-->PPC6700-->Treo700P-->Treo755P-->Treo800W --> Touch Pro-->Palm Pre --> EVO 4G