Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Flhd View Post
    verizon data plan is expensive man!
    Isn't Verizon's data much faster than Sprint's though? Especially when using the phone as a modem?

I thought I had read on here that AT&T and Verizon tend to be faster than Sprint.

When I say AT&T I am obviously talking about using the 750, not the 755 as with Sprint and Verizon.
    faster only at emptying your pocket.

BB
    Last edited by blazorboy; 03/30/2008 at 04:13 PM.
    Lol no way in hell is at&t consider "faster"
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    faster only at emptying your pocket.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Lol no way in hell is at&t consider "faster"
    So Sprint is just as fast as Verizon and AT&T. If so, I guess I will stick with Sprint.
    It FASTER than AT&T and maybe Verizon. Also fast enough for sure, and MUCH cheaper for data plans.

BB
    Quote Originally Posted by hkklife View Post
    In some very informal comparison tests, I noticed that 2 coworkers who have nearly factory-fresh Sprint 755p's (just 3-4 small games installed) had periodic random resets with ROM 1.04 but those random problems went away with the 1.07 update (go figure).

My VZW 755p with 1.06 and a heavy load of apps seems about as stable as their clean 1.04 Sprint 755p's but not as stable as their phones with 1.07. It might be worth noting that I have Versamail 4.01 installed and they use the standard VM 3.5.4 that's in ROM.

I have a feeling we'll never see a ROM update for the Verizon version but I'd certainly love to see it!
    You say you have Versamail 4.01 on a Verizon 755p? How'd you do that? The CD comes with a link to a 3.5.5 installer.

Harold
    Mobile lawyering since 1988: Seiko --> Sharp Wizard --> Sharp Zaurus --> Palm III --> IIIx --> Vx --> m515 --> T|2 --> T|3 --> T|X --> Treo 755p --> HTC Droid Incredible
    You can install the OTA installer from the website that is for the Centro on the 755p.
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    It FASTER than AT&T and maybe Verizon. Also fast enough for sure, and MUCH cheaper for data plans.

BB

The 755 runs Palm OS rather than Windows Mobile correct? For someone like myself who has never owned a Palm, would I be better served using a Windows Mobile device or it doesn't matter one way or the other?

How about HSDPA? Does Palm OS do any better or worse with HSDPA?
    Palm OS and WM just function completely different.

It's a lot to do with personal taste and learning curve, so it's really hard to recommend one or the other. Personally I think WM does not function very well as a touch screen OS. WM is more intuitive for most people though, because it functions like you would expect windows to. Palm uses a completely different file system and database files, locked databases, etc.
    Palm OS and WM just function completely different.

It's a lot to do with personal taste and learning curve, so it's really hard to recommend one or the other. Personally I think WM does not function very well as a touch screen OS. WM is more intuitive for most people though, because it functions like you would expect windows to. Palm uses a completely different file system and database files, locked databases, etc.
    If you buy add-on software for a Treo, do the vendors sell a WM version and a Palm OS version? Or will the software work on both? For instance, I am looking to get Pocket Quicken. Will the same copy work on both or do I need to make sure I get a copy for Palm OS should I get a 755?
    The apps are not cross compatible.

So it's vendor specific whether or not they provide .prc for Palm or .cab for WM.

Many provide both. Some apps are only for one or the other.
    The apps are not cross compatible.

So it's vendor specific whether or not they provide .prc for Palm or .cab for WM.

Many provide both. Some apps are only for one or the other.
    Dang it. Are applications more plentiful for one version or the other?
    There are lots of apps for both operating systems. If there is something that you "have to have" you might want to check on Handango or the software vendor before buying your Treo as some things are OS specific and not available on both.
    It's basically depends on what you need, as to what is more plentiful.

Palm has more 3rd party apps in general, due to it being around for a very long time. But WM has a lot of development too.
    I did experience a continuous reset situation earlier this week that forced me to do a hard reset. But since the hard reset and subsequent restore, my Treo has been running much smoother than it ever did since when I first bought it, and I've had no problems at all since then -- no crashes or resets so far, and it feels snappier and more responsive. Maybe the hard reset was a good thing.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12