1.    #1  
    Maybe someone might have an idea. I use NV Backup and Resco Backup to back up my Centro every night. I accidentlty deleted Resco backup on my Centro. I tried to re-install but when I install it , When I click on it it just turns the Centro screen white and that stays there , I have to take the battery out to reset it. I checked and removed all Resco files using Filez but I cant get Resco Backup to work anymore. Not sure what to do. Im glad to have NV Backup but I love 2 of them as a backup system.

Thanks!
    If properly installed, Resco Backup lives both in main memory and the SD card in the /Launcher folder - did you check there?

Ben
  3.    #3  
    Ben thanks for he reply, i had removed it from the SD card when I thought that could be the problem. I had installed the program Safe Gaurd and it says this Crash Caused by Resco Backup and in the box on the bottom it says Sprint Mobile Email .

I am going to remove the SD card and see if it installs without the card .
  4.    #4  
    Nope , same issue with no card. I put the PRC file for Resco backup in the launcher folder but still it freezes on a white screen when I try to load Resco Backup.
    I checked Safe Guard again and this time one of the freezes says "FileRegistry c.line843. Missing Large Icon" reason for crash "Creator ID was (pfii)

the second freesze says crash Crash Details - Zlauncher & Sprint Mobile Email
    When I click on RescoBackup -Sprint Mobile Email and Zlauncher are crashing my device. I have Zlauncer on my device but I dont use it anymore (Using TreoLauncher) i havent deleted Zlaucher yet . I dont use SPrint Mobile Email.

ANyone have any thoughts?
    Try disabling Safeguard and/or deleting SafeGuard. And try reinstalling Resco Backup.

SafeGuard is probably your problem. I tried SafeGuard v 1.0. I Had some issues with it and fully deleted it. I am not impressed with SafeGuard. It may help some with crash issues, but it may cause other problems as well.

6.    #6  
    TreoTraveler a thousand thankyous. If you lived near me I would have the first five beers.Removed it and Resco Backup worked again . Once resco was back on I re-installed safeguard and its still ok so I guess removing a program being monitored by Safe guard is a issue. I need safegaurd for now. I was getting resets every night and Safeguard reconized that Zlauncher was the caulprit and now that i removed Zlauncher no restes 5 straight days.
    Hey VaccPalm

You're welcome. I'm glad my suggestion worked for you.

Note:

My post above prolly sounded a little harsh about SafeGuard. I intend NO insult toward Jeff. I should have said that I'm not currently impressed with SafeGuard and left it at that. I'm sure Jeff will have SafeGuard issues ironed out soon....

Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Try disabling Safeguard and/or deleting SafeGuard. And try reinstalling Resco Backup.

SafeGuard is probably your problem. I tried SafeGuard v 1.0. I Had some issues with it and fully deleted it. I am not impressed with SafeGuard. It may help some with crash issues, but it may cause other problems as well.

Where did you get the v.1.0 of SafeGuard?
    ^ I'm talking about the first released version of SafeGuard. Whatever version that was.
    All,

I undertand the posts and take no exception except that people tend to be too quick in blaming a product. I too am guilty of this sometimes. ;-)

The problem is this: SafeGuard protects its files and has to so they do not get corrupted. SafeGuard also unsets the backup bit in all of its files to tell backup programs and HotSync to NOT attempt backup any of the SafeGuard files. Well, it appears some 3rd party backup programs are ignoring this Palm standard and I am not sure how to fix this in SafeGaurd. (I also don't think it is SafeGuard's job to fix it.) SafeGuard also reacts to the start and stop of HotSync operations to remove any conflict with HotSync backups. In a perfect world, backup programs should send a HotSync Start and HotSync Stop operation to tell every application that a backup has started/stopped. This is the standard in the Palm to tell applications about backup operations (even if HoySync is not the program doing the work.)

There have been posts by other users that have provided a wokaround. That workaround is to tell your backup program to ignore SafeGuard files. Seems to work but again it would be nice if the backup programs would just look at the backup bit before doing anything to files.

Version 2.02 resoved any conflict in SafeGuard in the way it handles background operations. This conflict "could" have been another cause of failure, but again the existing problem is with how backup programs appear to ignore the existing Palm standards.

Jeff
    Although its too late to tell now, I'm curious whether Vacc could've reinstalled Resco Backup, by simply disabling SafeGuard and then re-enabling it after installation.
  12.    #12  
    Yeah I thought about that BUT now that I got it working I dont want to find out. LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Yeah I thought about that BUT now that I got it working I dont want to find out. LOL.
    If it isn't broken....... I am interested in other's experiences though! I can tell you that I have never had a problem with BackUpMan. Now I am using an older version of BackUpMan (v2.03). Interresting is the fact that it is also ignoring the Don't Backup Bit in the definition of each Palm file. Even with ignoring the backup bit, it never crashes backing up SafeGuard's files.

But I just don't understand why all of the backup programs are not looking at the file attributes to see if a particular file is supposed to be backuped up or ignored. Just seems like a very basic requirement to me.

Jeff
    I am using Resco Backup Pro with SafeGuard version 2.01 and so far no problems with either.
    the version number of the backup program seems to matter, I was running a 3.x version of BackupBuddy VFS Pro, and it was crashing when backing up Safeguards files, but the new 4.4 version can backup Safeguard just fine, so they musta fixed the backup program in the 4.x versions.
    garinballbarin
    Version 2.04 of SafeGuard was just posted to the GoTreo website.

SafeGuard Website

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    If it isn't broken....... I am interested in other's experiences though! I can tell you that I have never had a problem with BackUpMan. Now I am using an older version of BackUpMan (v2.03). Interresting is the fact that it is also ignoring the Don't Backup Bit in the definition of each Palm file. Even with ignoring the backup bit, it never crashes backing up SafeGuard's files.

But I just don't understand why all of the backup programs are not looking at the file attributes to see if a particular file is supposed to be backuped up or ignored. Just seems like a very basic requirement to me.

Jeff
    There are two types of backup: One is called full backup and another one are changes or partial backup only.

The one where you refer to as backup by checking the backup bit is called partial where the bit is the indicator that changes was made since the last backup. The full backup is backup for the entire device, regardless of the backup bit status.

The backup process should be as follows: if the backup program cannot get an accurate image of the object (within very short time limit) because it is allocated or opened for update by another program, that object should be skipped from the backup and reported as exception after the backup is done.

I don't have a problem with Resco as I find that it skips files if it is open for update whether I want partial or full backup.

My .02 only.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    There are two types of backup: One is called full backup and another one are changes or partial backup only.

The one where you refer to as backup by checking the backup bit is called partial where the bit is the indicator that changes was made since the last backup. The full backup is backup for the entire device, regardless of the backup bit status.

The backup process should be as follows: if the backup program cannot get an accurate image of the object (within very short time limit) because it is allocated or opened for update by another program, that object should be skipped from the backup and reported as exception after the backup is done.

I don't have a problem with Resco as I find that it skips files if it is open for update whether I want partial or full backup.

My .02 only.
    I agree that could be one implementation for the bit and potentially a very valid one. But the Palm standard for this bit originated with HotSync backups in mind. The standard says: if this bit is NOT set, HotSync will ignore this file and not back it up. So this is the standard that developers should really follow. There is acaully a different bit called the AppInfoDirty bit that describes what you are referring to. It is automatically set by the operating system when a file has been modified.

Jeff