Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    One of the things we take for granted is the little things our phone does that we really like. It's only when those little things aren't there in a new phone that we really notice them. Here's my list of things that my old phone did, but that Centro doesn't appear to have... I'd like to know if there is any way to accomplish these in the Centro.

1) A "Back" button: My old phone's red "End" or "Turn Off/On" (or whatever you want to call that) button functioned as a back button no matter where you were in the PDA or Phone software. Didn't mean to click on that menu? You don't have to pick any random option in the menu and hope it's easy to cancel out of it. Just hit the "End" button and the menu closes. It worked as a general "Cancel" or "Exit" or "oops... I didn't mean to do that" button.

2) Auto-switching ringer: This has got to be one of the best "no brainer" features ever built into a phone. Always have your phone on vibrate? Well what about when you charge it... obviously you've not going to need vibrate then. My old phone would automatically switch back to "ringer" when plugged in for charging and then switch back to "vibrate" when unplugged from the charger. That way I didn't have to worry about turning the ringer on/off, so I wouldn't end up missing any calls or having a loud ring unexpectedly disrupt a meeting or something.

3) Big clock: My old phone had an option to turn the Phone's main background into a big Date/Time display. This was especially helpful for me, since I don't have a watch and use my phone to tell time.

4) Volume buttons also Page Up/Down buttons: When viewing an app like Contacts, the volume buttons on the side would switch to being page up/down buttons so I could easily scroll through the contacts with one hand.

So... is there any equivalent or similar features in the Centro, or any way to add such features?

One thing that I don't think can be changed, but that I find really odd, is the volume buttons on the side... they can't go between vibrate and ringer. Every cell phone I've ever owned had volume buttons that could go from "Ringer Off" to "Vibrate" to volume levels 1-10. But this one just goes from volume levels 1-10. To switch between "ringer off" or "vibrate" or volume, you have to go into the advanced properties... what's up with that?

WATYF
    3) Big clock: My old phone had an option to turn the Phone's main background into a big Date/Time display. This was especially helpful for me, since I don't have a watch and use my phone to tell time.
    Check out Keyguard+
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts
    There is a program called butler available for trial, then pay that will accomplish most of your requests. Check it out, it's a very popular program.
    Life is a garden, dig it. -Joe Dirt
    ) Volume buttons also Page Up/Down buttons: When viewing an app like Contacts, the volume buttons on the side would switch to being page up/down buttons so I could easily scroll through the contacts with one hand.
    Try Butler

[QUOTE][1) A "Back" button: My old phone's red "End" or "Turn Off/On" (or whatever you want to call that) button functioned as a back button no matter where you were in the PDA or Phone software. Didn't mean to click on that menu? You don't have to pick any random option in the menu and hope it's easy to cancel out of it. Just hit the "End" button and the menu closes. It worked as a general "Cancel" or "Exit" or "oops... I didn't mean to do that" button.
    /QUOTE]

try Mcphling you can set any custom key you want to the back button

Keyguard+

) Auto-switching ringer: This has got to be one of the best "no brainer" features ever built into a phone. Always have your phone on vibrate? Well what about when you charge it... obviously you've not going to need vibrate then. My old phone would automatically switch back to "ringer" when plugged in for charging and then switch back to "vibrate" when unplugged from the charger. That way I didn't have to worry about turning the ringer on/off, so I wouldn't end up missing any calls or having a loud ring unexpectedly disrupt a meeting or something.
    Cradle Care might do this
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    ah geez.... thanks for the input guys... I just really hope I don't have to buy four separate pieces of software just to get these features.

WATYF
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    btw, when you guys keep saying "Keyguard+" are you talking about "KeyguardTime+"... I can't find a "Keyguard+" anywhere.

WATYF
    Keyguard+ is free

Yeah KeyguardTime+, same thing.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/keyguardtime,640.html
    Quote Originally Posted by WATYF View Post
    One of the things we take for granted is the little things our phone does that we really like. It's only when those little things aren't there in a new phone that we really notice them. Here's my list of things that my old phone did, but that Centro doesn't appear to have... I'd like to know if there is any way to accomplish these in the Centro.

1) A "Back" button: My old phone's red "End" or "Turn Off/On" (or whatever you want to call that) button functioned as a back button no matter where you were in the PDA or Phone software. Didn't mean to click on that menu? You don't have to pick any random option in the menu and hope it's easy to cancel out of it. Just hit the "End" button and the menu closes. It worked as a general "Cancel" or "Exit" or "oops... I didn't mean to do that" button.

2) Auto-switching ringer: This has got to be one of the best "no brainer" features ever built into a phone. Always have your phone on vibrate? Well what about when you charge it... obviously you've not going to need vibrate then. My old phone would automatically switch back to "ringer" when plugged in for charging and then switch back to "vibrate" when unplugged from the charger. That way I didn't have to worry about turning the ringer on/off, so I wouldn't end up missing any calls or having a loud ring unexpectedly disrupt a meeting or something.

Hi WATYF, just out of curiosity ... would you care to tell me (maybe everyone else already know) ... the name (brand-model) of your MY OLD PHONE!!

LOL. But really, I would like to know.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Previously, I had a Samsung SCH-i500.

It's "older" tech (ran an older version of Palm OS... didn't have many of the fancier new "data/video/picture" features, etc), but as far as I'm concerned it was the best integration of a Phone and a PDA that has ever been done. Everything just worked seamlessly together (and I didn't even realize how seamless it was until I switched phones). Not to mention that it was a clamshell phone, which meant it was exceptionally small while still having a screen bigger than my new Centro.

I really wish someone would come along and make another Palm OS clamshell phone, but with more updated software and an even better hardware arrangement. Imagine a Centro-type phone that folds in half. You could increase the screen size and still have more room for the keyboard.

WATYF
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    After looking through (and trying) solutions for these features, I've come to the conclusion that only one of these issues really needs to be fixed.

I would still like to find an answer to Number 1 (unfortunately, McPhling doesn't address this issue), but I could probably live without it. It is very nice to have a global "Cancel" button, though.

Number 3 would be nice to have, but I could probably go without it. I did try out Keyguard+, but I'm really not looking for a keyguard clock... I'm looking for a wallpaper that always displays in the "Phone" app and that shows the time. If anyone knows how to impose a clock over the existing "wallpaper" feature, that would be cool, though.

Number 4 may be a non-issue. I was used to having to use the side-buttons to scroll on my old phone, but that's because it didn't have a 5-Way. If I can just train myself to always use the 5-Way for navigation and the side buttons for sound, it shouldn't be an issue any more.

But Number 2 is a killer, and I haven't found any apps that do this (CradleCare doesn't, unfortunately). There's no way I'm going to change my sound/vibrate configuration for each app (phone, calendar, reminder apps like Diddlebug, etc) every time I plug in and unplug my phone. I need a way to say, "When it's plugged in, all apps ring, when it's unplugged, all apps go back to their default settings (whether it be vibrate or sound)". It's possible to use the "sound off" switch to do something kind of like this, but that means that ALL sounds would be off while using my phone, which include videos and even sounds I'd want to have on (games, etc). It also involves remembering to turn it on/off in the first place.

I also still think that the volume buttons not being able to switch between vibrate/ringer-off/volume is a huge oversight.

If I don't find a solution to these I might actually consider looking into programming my own solutions. I've never dabbled in Palm OS before, but I'm a programmer, and wanting to fix these issues just might be enough motivation to learn a new language.

WATYF
    I went from the i500 to the Centro too. I miss the pg_up/pg_dn the most.

One thing I really like about not having a clam shell design is reading on the Palm. I have for the pass 5-6 years done most of my recreational reading on a palm device. Why : I almost always have it. I had trouble reading on the i500..I used to fall back on my old Clie to read on then.

I wonder if some of the functionality we are missing it hardware related or OS related. The Centro is running a much newer version...maybe those functions were cut?

Franko353
    Step up and be Green!

Take the stairs rather than the elevator. It's good for you, it's good for the Earth, it's good for all of us.
    Not entirely sure what you are referring to as pg_up/pg_down, but you can use Butler to assign the volume keys to do page up/page down.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franko353 View Post
    I went from the i500 to the Centro too. I miss the pg_up/pg_dn the most.
    What I miss the most is that the features were adaptive. It wasn't some setting that you had to apply to each aspect of the phone. When you needed the side button to be a scroll button, it was... when you needed it to be a volume button, it was... When you needed the phone to ring, it did... when you needed the phone to vibrate it did...

I wish every phone had all of the same great ideas built into it. You shouldn't have to lose great features just to gain other features.

WATYF
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    Not entirely sure what you are referring to as pg_up/pg_down, but you can use Butler to assign the volume keys to do page up/page down.
    Yeah... I tried that. Butler actually makes them item Up/Down buttons, not Page Up/Down. And that was the only useful thing I found on Butler, so it wasn't worth the 15 bucks, unfortunately.

WATYF
    Number 1 is the easiest of the bunch (if I understand what you want to do). You hit the menu button and want to get out of it because you didn't mean to hit it or didn't find what you wanted. Just hit the menu button a second time and you are back to where you were. Why move your finger to another key.

In reading your comments, it sounds like the ringer/vibrate thing would be a nightmare. If I put it on vibrate, I want it to vibrate and not make a sound period no matter whether it would be in a charger or not. But this will just boil down to personal preference.

Something you may want to check out is profiles. That should provide you some of the ringer/vibrate flexibility you are looking for.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Where would I find the profiles feature at?

WATYF
    the problem is you're trying to compare your tried and true that was abandoned by two companies and competed against the older version of this phone. You made a choice then, and unfortunately there is no choice now if you want the Palm OS. It's not like the Centro is the i590.

And not only are there features that are gone, but the form factor is gone too. We're stuck with candybar bricks.

What I miss the most is that the features were adaptive. It wasn't some setting that you had to apply to each aspect of the phone. When you needed the side button to be a scroll button, it was... when you needed it to be a volume button, it was... When you needed the phone to ring, it did... when you needed the phone to vibrate it did...

I wish every phone had all of the same great ideas built into it. You shouldn't have to lose great features just to gain other features.

WATYF
    Pixi: Sold. Pre: Passed off to another rep. Touchpad: Just a toy until Cloud syncing arrives, and a better doc editor.
    Where would I find the profiles feature at?
    http://www.freewarepalm.com/communic...profiles.shtml
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Dude... you are a fuggin' lifesaver.... that's exactly what I needed.

It even has triggers that allow you to switch between profiles at certain events (one of which is "plugged in").

So 2 is completely solved... 3 and 4 aren't that crucial... I can adjust. I'd still kinda like an answer for 1, though. I'm finding that not having a global "Exit/Cancel/Go Back" button is affecting more than just "ease of navigation". I started a thread here about how I have several games that won't allow me to exit the game because they comandeer the Application buttons and there's no other button you can use to "exit".

There is one other thing that has come up.... Is there any way to turn off the "button pressing sound" without turning off all System sounds? I can't stand that incessant "doot doot doot" every time I click or scroll anything, but I have applications that use the System sound settings as their volume control (for whatever reason)... so when I turn the system sound off to get rid of the "doot doot", I also end up turning off the sound of these applications. Anyone know a way around this?

WATYF
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast