1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been covered, I dug through search results and didn't see anything.

This just started a few weeks ago, the Treo is apprx. 1 year old.
    I plug it in to charge, it charges fully, and turns the led to green, while it's plugged in, I click the battery icon, and it shows 99-100%, as soon as I unplug the charger cord, and touch the battery icon again, it shows 84%, it is the same thing every morning, It is 84% almost every time, never above that.
    I haven't noticed any decline in the time that the battery lasts every day, it seems to last just as long as it did before this started happening. I just can't figure out why it's stuck at the 84% level.
    I drained the battery completely down the other night, attempting to "reset" the battery meter. but it didn't change anything.

You think my meter is acting up? or the battery getting goofy?

Anyone ever experienced this also???
    Yes. Mine goes down to about 90%. I am assuming you left your Treo to charge overnight. I think the charging process stops and the LED turns green a few hours after plugged in and many hours before morning. The Treo uses the battery until the charge goes down many percents before it charges the battery again. All the while lighting the LED green.

Try unplugging from the charger as soon as the LED turn from red to green and you'll see 100% for a few second and then 99%.
    This is a pretty common issue, and is really due to the fact you don't trickle charge LiIon batteries. The machine needs to charge them right up, then switch off the charger. When the battery drops to a certain threshold (somewhere in the mid to low 90's usually it appears) then it switches the charger back on.

You don't see this in laptops as it charges the battery right up and then runs entirely from the PSU, so the battery maintains it's full charge until required. The phones don't seem to do this and just switch the charger on and off while always running off the battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by ILBandit View Post
    This just started a few weeks ago, the Treo is apprx. 1 year old.

Well, it also could be that battery just gets old. I don't claim it's the case with you, but battery gradually looses it capacity. Battery usually last for 500 charges, but it's not that it has full capacity over all the time. It falls with time. It's not digital, like you have full capacity over all 500 cycles, then it just goes off. It's more like, you have full capacity for a 100 cycles (it really depends on particular battery), then less and less. Over time you notice significant loss of capacity. After some time (certainly not 500 cycles as in book) you decide it's time for new battery.
    It is a defect of the device, everyone experiences this. There are actually 'hundreds' of pages on this exact problem, but you have to put in the right keywords to find it, which is not always easy.

As the third post says, there is a problem with trickle charging. What the phone should do it charge to 100%, then let the battery relax while running off the cable OR run off the battery but keep refilling it as needed (e.g., trickle charging). However, the 680 has two design problems that leads to what you (and everyone else) experiences. 1) First, when the battery reaches 100%, it just stops charging and begins to run down the battery at the normal rate, with no "refilling", 2) Second, it further confuses you by leaving the battery meter at 100% even though it is draining at it's normal rate. Then when you unplug, it 'appears' to suddently drop to whatever the remaining battery is. In reality it's been dropping all along since it reached 100% and stopped charging the battery.

The 84% number should vary based on how long it is plugged in (and how fast it is draining) after it has already hit 100% and stopped charging. If you want to get it very close to 100%, try to unplug it very soon after it gets to 100%. By the way, it will still drop, but much less.

As mentioned, (if you want to) you can read pages and pages of this stuff and lots of evidence and examples. Just read some of the longer, older threads on battery life.

As some of the other posts mention above, there are many other battery issues with this phone. However, it seems like the answer to your specific question is what I describe above.
    Last edited by treonovice; 03/13/2008 at 11:27 AM.
    --
    Pilot 5000--> PalmPilot Professional--> Palm III--> Palm IIIe--> Handspring Visor--> Treo600--> Treo650--> Treo680--> Treo650--> Treo680

US Robotics--> 3Com --> Palm --> Handspring --> Palm--> palmOne--> Palm/Access--> (bankruptcy?)
    Actually, i think ilbandit may be referring to a different problem. he says his treo wont go above 84%. i have had a similar problem (mine wouldnt go above 88.2% for several charge cycles) and it is not related to hitting 100% and then dropping down. It simply stops at a given percentage - you can monitor this quite precisely with battery.prc or similar programs. I think this is related to battery meter calibration. I fixed mine by pulling the battery out while it was plugged in, then replacing the battery after a minute, still plugged in, and I was pleased to see that it then continued to charge up to 100%. I have only tried this fix once, so cant be sure that it works reliably, but worth a try.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by DIG View Post
    Actually, i think ilbandit may be referring to a different problem. he says his treo wont go above 84%. i have had a similar problem (mine wouldnt go above 88.2% for several charge cycles) and it is not related to hitting 100% and then dropping down. It simply stops at a given percentage - you can monitor this quite precisely with battery.prc or similar programs. I think this is related to battery meter calibration. I fixed mine by pulling the battery out while it was plugged in, then replacing the battery after a minute, still plugged in, and I was pleased to see that it then continued to charge up to 100%. I have only tried this fix once, so cant be sure that it works reliably, but worth a try.

Yes DIG, you are correct. That is exactly what is going on. I pull the battery charger off right after it shows 100%, but as soon as it's disconected,it instantly drops to 84%.

I'll try pulling the battery out while it's plugged in, and see if that helps. If not, maybe it's time to just get a new battery. I've been kinda looking for an excuse to get one of the higher capacity batteries anyway.