Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Starting to wonder if Butler is responsible for some minor system lag when awaking from sleep mode.

-Disable keyguard (treo keyguard, not Butler keyguard)
    -Power off screen
    -Power on screen and try navigating to different tabs in Zlauncher right away

I was getting a 1s or so lag before, after removing Butler it seems completely gone.
    I don't use Butler, but if Butler is accessing data base files, it will lag a bit.

3.    #3  
    I don't see why it should every time you power on the phone from sleep.

I'm not using the Butler keyguard (which the Butler keyguard doesn't even lag the phone, it just takes a second to come up).
    i was told by rob that many of the beta versions cause lag on power on .. do to the debugging that the program is doing... move back to the latest release version and u should be fine...
  5.    #5  
    Yeah I was using the latest release version though.
    SafeGuard will tell you what applications do background processing when the device is leaving sleep mode. Then with SafeGuard's quarnatine feature, you can temporarily disable those applications that do processing at power up. This will allow you to systematially find the application that is causing the slowdown!

Jeff
    I am using butler 4.67 BUT Not Using keyguard feature through butler and I am NOT having the lag when waking up device(treo 755) ...it might be something else...but I thought u said earlier without butler it ran fine on wakeup... are u using the butler keyguard... I know there are still ongoing issues with it that they are trying to get worked out.... run the freeware program palm internals..and see what programs are under HeDe and lazy wakeup..might give u more of a starting point on where trble points to
  8.    #8  
    Yeah the Butler keyguard has it's own lag in regards of it showing up after a power on. But also the Butler keyguard does not lag your phone while it is trying to appear, it just lags in the sense that the keyguard does not appear right away.

I get this lag without using the Butler keyguard, just using the standard Treo keyguard. When I uninstalled Butler it went back to normal.
  9.    #9  
    I've been trying out the SafeGuard trial.

Regarding SafeGuard, as I assume you are going after the competitor similar tools, are there any plans to include:

-dbcache management (reset doctor)
    -scan for orphan files/cache/preferences + deletion (TealScan)
    -monitor + auto restore "Saved Pereferences" database (TealScan)
    -simple check that lets the user know databases that possibly should be protected or locked, but aren't (TealScan)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I've been trying out the SafeGuard trial.

Regarding SafeGuard, as I assume you are going after the competitor similar tools, are there any plans to include:

-dbcache management (reset doctor)
    -scan for orphan files/cache/preferences + deletion (TealScan)
    -monitor + auto restore "Saved Pereferences" database (TealScan)
    -simple check that lets the user know databases that possibly should be protected or locked, but aren't (TealScan)

Thanks
    Thanks for the post and the questions.

I will be partnering with Hobbyist Software on a SafeGuard/ResetDoctor bundle. I respect Rob's work and this combination addresses the real issues! Preferences and Cache Cleaning. I like Rob's implementation on both of these features and would never replicate this in SafeGuard.

I don't believe in scanning for orphan preferences, etc.... It is far too easy to really mess things up doing this type of cleaning. Just because a preference does not match the creator ID of an existing application does NOT mean it is an orphan. Same holds true for data files. And using the creator ID is the only information you have to detect ownership. It is possible for applications to create preferences and data files that have a completely different creator ID than the application itself. So removing these resources would negatively impact existing applications! So, SafeGuard will never perform this type of scanning.

As for database locking. I will have this technology in the next release of SafeGuard. SafeGuard will display a RED running man in the Active Apps screen if an application may be harmful becauase it is not properly locking its code segment. The next release will probably be out tomorrow (Friday). There is a degree of error with this type of detection though. For example, TakePhone uses a very unique way of code locking that is not detectible so applications like this will show up as potentially harmful. So I have added a "this application is safe" feature in SafeGuard. Using this feature will cause SafeGuard to not display a warning for these applications.

Great questions!!!

Jeff
    I noticed that trying to delete Safeguard was not clean and simple. When I manually deleted the main application Safeguard that part went OK. However the remaining parts of Safeguard left on the system (anything with the first word Safeguard such as Safeguard Alarm) could not be deleted. I had to do a NVBackup restore to get all components of Safeguard removed from my system. Please make the next version easy for a complete program removal of all components.

Let me quickly add that Jeff Gibson, Rob of Hobbyist Software, and C.E. Steuart Dewar of DateBook & DbFixit are among the supreme giants of the Palm world.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmTreo650User View Post
    I noticed that trying to delete Safeguard was not clean and simple. When I manually deleted the main application Safeguard that part went OK. However the remaining parts of Safeguard left on the system (anything with the first word Safeguard such as Safeguard Alarm) could not be deleted. I had to do a NVBackup restore to get all components of Safeguard removed from my system. Please make the next version easy for a complete program removal of all components.

Let me quickly add that Jeff Gibson, Rob of Hobbyist Software, and C.E. Steuart Dewar of DateBook & DbFixit are among the supreme giants of the Palm world.
    Thanks for the nice complement!

Yes SafeGuard is a multi-part application. To remove it takes several steps at the present time. Prior to removing any application, you need to first disable the application. If you don't disable SafeGuard, it will take a reset before the other aprets can be deleted. Having said that, I need to provide a better removal process. I will provide this in the next release so that removal of the main SafeGuard application will also remove the complete application. My question to you and others is this: Should there be an uninstall program that comes with SafeGuard? Or should SafeGuard automatically remove all of its components when it is deleted? The second seems like the logical answer, but if you have told SafeGuard to be disabled it "should" no longer be responding to any operating system event notifications. But for it to completely remove itself it will have to respond to a Palm event notification that is sent when the applicaiton is deleted. This would violate the "you are now disabled" instruction that you told SafeGuard when you disabled the application. Would this be an acceptable situation given the de-installation need? Personally, I would like this last implementation over putting another application on the device just to uninstall the application.

I would really like some opinions.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffgibson; 03/14/2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spelling corrections ;->
    Jeff, if I Fed-Ex my Treo over will you autograph it?

In response to your request for feedback it would be my preference to have SafeGuard automatically remove all of its components when it is deleted. This would make the process much simpler and intuitive. This may be easier said than done. But whatever method is decided a complete removal option will make this a much more user friendly product.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    T
    I would really like some opinions.

Jeff
    To me, "disabled" means "not performing its intended function",
    not "completely unresponsive to its environment".

So, if doing a clean uninstall requires listening for a particular Palm
    event, by all means, listen for that event even if the application
    is "disabled".

- Saul
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I would also vote for that SafeGuard can uninstall itself. I don't like the idea of a program sitting around just to install SG.

Just my 2c.
  16.    #16  
    Here is how to uninstall the 3 Safeguard protected db files:

Use Filez
    Go to the info of each file, uncheck the "Resource DB" flag
    Save, for each file.

Now soft reset
    Delete files with the standard Palm app delete

Or should SafeGuard automatically remove all of its components when it is deleted?
    I would be fine with this, as most apps go this route anyways. Not to mention when I try to get rid of an app the first thing I do is hold click the icon in Zlauncher and trash it. I would probably try to do this even before I knew there was an uninstall feature.
    Having been on the beta test, we had to delete the app (or portions thereof)a number of times before updating to the next version. The process I found that worked best was:

Step 1: Disable app
    Step 2: Delete app using stock delete function or if you have an uninstaller, you can use that. (NOTE: Force deleting it with an uninstaller without disabling it, will likely cause a reset - at least in my experience).
    Step 3: Using TealScan, Cleanup, or FileZ delete the remnant files.

Yes, it would be much cleaner if the app could delete itself entirely (don't think it matters that much which method.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Musketeers View Post
    Having been on the beta test, we had to delete the app (or portions thereof)a number of times before updating to the next version. The process I found that worked best was:

Step 1: Disable app
    Step 2: Delete app using stock delete function or if you have an uninstaller, you can use that. (NOTE: Force deleting it with an uninstaller without disabling it, will likely cause a reset - at least in my experience).
    Step 3: Using TealScan, Cleanup, or FileZ delete the remnant files.

Yes, it would be much cleaner if the app could delete itself entirely (don't think it matters that much which method.
    Yep. That's the procedure I used during the beta test. Only that I used Resco Explorer.

Cheers.
    All,

I will have a new version of SafeGuard ready for people to test later today. In this new version will be:

1) New delete feature when you try to remove SafeGuard
    2) Performance improvements while using Palm Crash Monitors
    3) New Reset Loop detection feature. I found a new kind of reset loop while working with a client. This one happens after the device is booted but a reset happens when the phone application is trying to connect to the network. Alternatively, a 3rd party application may have set an alarm and the arlm kicks in and crashes before the user has a chance to do anything on their device. So SafeGuard will wake up if there are 5 or more resets within a 5 minute window. When it kicks in, it will ask if you are in trouble and will walk you through a WARM reset.
    4) SafeGuard will now detect applications that are "possibly" not properly locking their code segments when they run in the background. This may lead to false positives but better safe than sorry. Examples of false positives are TakePhone. SafeGuard has a new menu option in the Active Apps Information Screen screen that allows you to mark an application "safe". The indication of a problem application will be a RED running man in the Active Apps screen. This feature was first implemented in the beta but turned off temporarily while I tried to track down a bug. I have since found and fixed the bug.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    All,

I will have a new version of SafeGuard ready for people to test later today. In this new version will be:

1) New delete feature when you try to remove SafeGuard
    2) Performance improvements while using Palm Crash Monitors
    3) New Reset Loop detection feature. I found a new kind of reset loop while working with a client. This one happens after the device is booted but a reset happens when the phone application is trying to connect to the network. Alternatively, a 3rd party application may have set an alarm and the arlm kicks in and crashes before the user has a chance to do anything on their device. So SafeGuard will wake up if there are 5 or more resets within a 5 minute window. When it kicks in, it will ask if you are in trouble and will walk you through a WARM reset.
    4) SafeGuard will now detect applications that are "possibly" not properly locking their code segments when they run in the background. This may lead to false positives but better safe than sorry. Examples of false positives are TakePhone. SafeGuard has a new menu option in the Active Apps Information Screen screen that allows you to mark an application "safe". The indication of a problem application will be a RED running man in the Active Apps screen. This feature was first implemented in the beta but turned off temporarily while I tried to track down a bug. I have since found and fixed the bug.

Jeff
    NICE.. so it should power on quicker now .....?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast