Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    NICE.. so it should power on quicker now .....?
    Yes! I ran late last night getting the install/uninstall code working correctly. I just need to do some testing and I will release the update "unofficially" to see if I broke anything with the changes I have made. If all goes well, I will make this release an official release. Have some family things do today, so it will be later this afternoon (Sat) befoer I can post this new release.

Jeff
    All,

Here is version 2.03 of SafeGuard. It is not yet an "official" version but it has gone through my internal QA and works great. Any feedback would be terrific.

As reported earlier, here are the changes/improvements in this release:

1) New delete feature when you try to remove SafeGuard. You will be asked if you are Upgrading versions or trying to completely remove SafeGuard. If you are removing the application, SafeGuard will completely uninstall itself.
    2) Performance improvements while using Palm Crash Monitors
    3) New Reset Loop detection feature. I found a new kind of reset loop while working with a client. This one happens after the device is booted but a reset happens when the phone application is trying to connect to the network. Alternatively, a 3rd party application may have set an alarm and the arlm kicks in and crashes before the user has a chance to do anything on their device. So SafeGuard will wake up if there are 5 or more resets within a 5 minute window. When it kicks in, it will ask if you are in trouble and will walk you through a WARM reset.
    4) SafeGuard will now detect applications that are "possibly" not properly locking their code segments when they run in the background. This may lead to false positives but better safe than sorry. Examples of false positives are TakePhone. SafeGuard has a new menu option in the Active Apps Information Screen screen that allows you to mark an application "safe". The indication of a problem application will be a RED running man in the Active Apps screen. This feature was first implemented in the beta but turned off temporarily while I tried to track down a bug. I have since found and fixed the bug.
    5) It corrects a problem that resulted in all applications showing that they ran in the background. Ie. all applications had a running man icon in the Active Apps screen.

SafeGuard Early Access Version 2.03

Jeff
    i didnt notice an increase in power on time

one reset while app installed

when i click on crash.. it says nexter was running

when i go to why it states
    takephone with medium confidence and nexter with low confidence

the cause was illegal instruction at an address

Just received another reset....

recioeved incoming call... LW launched and phone reset

safeduard states

cause: safeguard may have casued this crash. contact safeguard support

if i click button why did it carsh it shows ... the native IM application or YAHM as low confidenece
    Last edited by italiangspot; 03/16/2008 at 09:36 AM.

one reset while app installed

when i click on crash.. it says nexter was running

when i go to why it states
    takephone with medium confidence and nexter with low confidence

the cause was illegal instruction at an address

whatever that means
    First, please send me a REMOTE SUPPORT report to: jeff@GoTreoSoftware.com. Can you contact me at my help desk so we can isolate this situation in more detail? support @ GoTreoSoftware.com

It is normal for some "false" positives to be given by SafeGuards "Why Did It Crash" screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by PalmTreo650User View Post
    Jeff, if I Fed-Ex my Treo over will you autograph it?
    Sure but I would hate to devalue your Treo.

In response to your request for feedback it would be my preference to have SafeGuard automatically remove all of its components when it is deleted. This would make the process much simpler and intuitive. This may be easier said than done. But whatever method is decided a complete removal option will make this a much more user friendly product.
    Thanks for the input. It has been put into version 2.03.

Jeff

I can't seem to reproduce the slow power up. I instaleld Butler and SafeGuard and can not see a differnece between the power up time with Butler active and either having SafeGuard enabled or disabled. The power up time seems to be uneffected. Perhaps I need to get to a more identicle configureation to what you have. Would it be possible for you to send me a backup of your device done with BackupMan? In that way I can have a better chance at figuring out what is happening on your device.

Can you also send me a REMOTE SUPPORT report to jeff@GoTreoSoftware.com?

Thanks,

Jeff
    when i installed, i installed over the older version... so as i right now i deleted the program...the delte new option seems to work good

i will try and reinstall the new version from scratch and see what i see

the HeDe apps i see in palm internals are

butler/snoozy/power hero/ LW/ hi-launcher/ TAKEPHONE and with the speed test its 11 secs.. with safe guard it used to be 62 secs now it went down to 57 secs.. so it seems that it speed up a little... but this is all when i installed over the .02 version

not sure if it that made any difference.. maybe on your test device u can install some of the apps listed above... the more apps u have on your test device the more realistic it will make the simulation
    Last edited by italiangspot; 03/16/2008 at 02:46 PM.
  8.    #28  
    I also have the slow power up issue.

I am using no keyguards (no Treo keyguard, no Butler keyguard).

I am using Butler, NVBackup, Resco Locker, Takephone.

I am quite certain that Power Hero and Butler are not a factor. I removed both and still have the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    I also have the slow power up issue.

I am using no keyguards (no Treo keyguard, no Butler keyguard).

I am using Butler, NVBackup, Resco Locker, Takephone.

I am quite certain that Power Hero and Butler are not a factor. I removed both and still have the issue.
    Can we work offline with each other? I'd like to really quantify what "slow" means and then see if we can't specifically target what is causing the slow power up.

Please write to me at support@GoTreoSoftware.com and send me your phone number and the best times to call. I am in the Central timezone.

Jeff
    I just upgraded from Butler 4.09 to 4.67 and experienced horrible lag and constant cache-clearing from Reset Doctor (still on RD trial and no issues with it so far). When I reverted to 4.09 the lag and cache-clearing went away. I upgraded for the keyguard, but that made things worse and even without the keyguard 4.67 lags. Just downloaded 4.71 and will give it a try, but the changelog doesn't indicate anything about the lag or keyguard.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I had similar experiences with the new keyguard (dark overlay). For this reason I reverted back to version 4.21 and everything is fine again (i.e. no lags).

Cheers.

Can you check the size of a SafeGuard file for me? What is the size of the file: SafeGuard-NotificationDB? On one of my lab Treo's, I found this file was corrupted and very large in size. This caused a real slowdown on my device. I am checking to see if this is a problem in the field too. The size on this file should not be over about 10k or so.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    Can you check the size of a SafeGuard file for me? What is the size of the file: SafeGuard-NotificationDB? On one of my lab Treo's, I found this file was corrupted and very large in size. This caused a real slowdown on my device. I am checking to see if this is a problem in the field too. The size on this file should not be over about 10k or so.

Jeff
    SG_notifications:
    size: 1k 9(1520b)..60 records

open safeguard... turn off/on screen notice time...

leave safeguard... turn off/on screen ..u should be able to see the delay power on compared to when u turn on screen when u have safeguard opened... try installing some of the apps that people are saying they are running... takephone/butler/LW... some of the big boys
    SG_notifications:
    size: 1k 9(1520b)..60 records

open safeguard... turn off/on screen notice time...

leave safeguard... turn off/on screen ..u should be able to see the delay power on compared to when u turn on screen when u have safeguard opened... try installing some of the apps that people are saying they are running... takephone/butler/LW... some of the big boys
    Thanks. Your file size is normal. I have all of those apps loaded and do not see a notcible delay with power on except that mentioned by others running Butler 4.67 loaded. Would be great if you could send me a backup of your device so I could play with your exact configuration in the lab.

Jeff
    When i deleted the new safeguard i still had two files that remained on deivce
    safeguard-zombie
    and safeguard-!!!!
    Interesting. Was SafeGuard enabled when you tried to delete it?

Jeff
    NO

i learned my lesson last time when i tried to delete when software was enabled... phone went into reset loop after force deleting app

i disabled application.... then warm reset device

filtered in resco explorer for safeguard* and those files came up... deleted... said it was hidden or sys files
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    All,

Here is version 2.03 of SafeGuard. It is not yet an "official" version but it has gone through my internal QA and works great. Any feedback would be terrific.

As reported earlier, here are the changes/improvements in this release:

1) New delete feature when you try to remove SafeGuard. You will be asked if you are Upgrading versions or trying to completely remove SafeGuard. If you are removing the application, SafeGuard will completely uninstall itself.
    Jeff

Jeff,

Do you mean delete using the Home menue delete funtion.? I did not see an option on Safeguard b2.34 Not that I want to delete it unless you have a newer version???

Tx for all your good work!

BB
    NO

i learned my lesson last time when i tried to delete when software was enabled... phone went into reset loop after force deleting app

i disabled application.... then warm reset device

filtered in resco explorer for safeguard* and those files came up... deleted... said it was hidden or sys files
    Thx. It should be safe with the new version to delete while it is enabled. But it is always a good idea to disable an application before you try to remove it.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by blazorboy View Post
    Jeff,

Do you mean delete using the Home menue delete funtion.? I did not see an option on Safeguard b2.34 Not that I want to delete it unless you have a newer version???

Tx for all your good work!

BB
    Yes, in version 2.03 and in the soon to be released official 2.04 version of SafeGuard, there is a hidden and silent uninstall feature. When you need to remove SafeGuard with any utility like the HOME screen delete feature, SafeGuard will completely remove itself.

Jeff
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast