1.    #1  
    My 680 is getting a little old. (Had it since 11/29/06 through AT&T-Cingular.) Still working fine. Any idea when it will be replaced by a new model and what that will be? (I think there's a 700 out there but it doesn't look that different to me.)

I'm tempted by iPhone, but don't want to give up some of the Palm apps that I use daily, like:

--TravelTracker
    --Auto Slate
    --Splash ID
    --Docs to Go

I don't think I really want to jump to Windows.

Ideas?
    Dennis G. Esler
    Let's see here. The 680.

Basically, the wonderful Treo 600 was refreshed a bit with bluetooth and a few niceties, but basically the same. They called it the 650.

Then the 650 was refreshed years later, by cutting the (contract) price in 1/2, upgrading the GSM radio hardware, and putting the Titanic antenna out to pasture. They called it the 680.

Then they take the 680, cut the (contract) price in 1/2 again, reduce the width and length, taking with it precious display and keyboard real estate, but finally giving it a better cam. They call it the Centro.

Sounds like you're waiting for the $50 (w/ contract) version to come. Don't know when, but I think I've got the specs nearly pegged.

Actually, were probably all waiting until 2009 before anything "Palm OS" based is released to replace the 680. The new OS is reportedly (according to Palm's greatly reliable reports) coming with truly new hardware.

IMO, we will have to wait until Spring of 09' before the reality sets in that Palm could not get Linux to work functionally. Then I expect them to try and dump the last vestiges of a "me too" WM OEM onto some smartphone upstart group who wants their remaining carrier (and possibly retail?) channels and Treo / Centro brand names. Hope I'm wrong, but Palm has sure given us way too much corporate mismanagement evidence in the past to doubt it.

That's my $.02
    Patrick Horne
  3.    #3  
    [QUOTE=LiveFaith;1420405]Let's see here. The 680.

Sounds like you're waiting for the $50 (w/ contract) version to come. Don't know when, but I think I've got the specs nearly pegged.

Not sure why you think I'm asking for a budget price. I paid the "early adopter tax" on my 600, 650 and 680 by buying them when they were first released. I don't mind paying for a device that has good features, performance and reliability.
    Dennis G. Esler
    With the recent firmware update for the Treo 680, it has only just become the proper device (less bug more speed) Palm promised you. Getting a new device means you have to put up with the software quality issue and wait for the software update again.
    "I don't mind paying for a device that has good features, performance and reliability."

LOL. You are referring to some other brand besides Palm, Right?
    Scouter,

I'm sure you, like myself, and many others are not waiting on a budget price. Rather we wan't Palm to create something worthy of that $400 price. They have not and they know it. That's why they just keep regurgitating the same tech at a lower price. Milking their initial innovation to the last drop. That was my original point.
    Patrick Horne
  7.    #7  
    Thanks.
    Dennis G. Esler
    Sounds like you're waiting for the $49 (w/ contract) version to come. Don't know when, but I think I've got the specs nearly pegged.
    Just got back from the local BestBuy... They are offering $50 Centro's with AT&T 2 year contract.... or $359 non contract or $519 unlocked non contract...
    Treo 180, 300, 600, 650, still regretting the 680, Centro, ...
    Waiting for the next worthy smart-phone while test-driving an iPhone for the last 3 months.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    There's only a few things more I'd want/need in a new device to replace my much loved 680. Maybe some more memory and the 755 textured/rubberized case. Faster processor is always nice, but the 680 keeps up with GPS mapping (Garmin Mobile XT/Mobile 10) and everything else ok. For me, throw out the camera and add an internal GPS receiver. And wireless too. I'd pay to upgrade for these things.
    3g... *sigh*

I would get an iphone (for being a Mac enthusiast for many years) BUT I am so productive and have so much invested in Palm software...

Yet I don't look forward to using mini-sd cards now that 16gb SDHC cards are here =)
    Now it's the WAITING GAME: a GSM Palm Pre
    T680 (COPPER) + Cingular = FUN!!
    My T650 & 6230b and NX70 are retired... =(
    http://mrg9605.com
    http://ipgeek21.com
    noncents.net
    http://seresqueridos.com

justdai.com
    reddingk.com
    georgeozuna.com
    goaskoscar.com
    Quote Originally Posted by scouter075 View Post
    My 680 is getting a little old. (Had it since 11/29/06 through AT&T-Cingular.) Still working fine. Any idea when it will be replaced by a new model and what that will be?
    Ideas?

How ironic, I just got my Treo 680 thee weeks ago. Seems pretty new to me (that was after 3 years with Treo 650).
    -- Josh
    the centro is the upgrade to the 680
    -tgwaste
    I'm leaning real hard toward a tilt.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tgwaste View Post
    the centro is the upgrade to the 680
    Is it really?
    Dennis G. Esler
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    With each release what appears to be better hardware is released with more software bugs. I have a 650, 680 & BB Curve GSM. Of the three the 650 is the best overall although the Curve has a far supperior phone technology,(I alternate between the 650&Curve) fewer dropped calls, much quicker cell aquision by far, better contact manager., clarity and volume.

The 650 is fortified considerabily by 3rd party apps, many of them free while others are lite versions. The 680 was and still in need of a quality firmware and application base which is not debugged. Waiting 1-2 years for updates is totally unreasonable. If for no other reason I would not invest in another Palm anything...but can see myself going to some other phone, even the ITouch. Keeping the Treo as a PDA w/the collection of application I use in hand. The technology does not may the Treo but the support and quality of the functionality does as with any computerized hardware. If the software doesn't function or fail then the hard is not worth diddily until corrected. 1-2 years is far to long and even then still broke and countless threads on the net will atest to. Palm themselve also remain unapproachable for support and hide behind the service providers all who pass the buck back to Palm.

My recomendation is get another phone or all-in-one and just use the PDA as required until or if your can finally break free of the Palm OS apps of which there are excellent in the 3rd party clearly also showing that the built-in apps don't cut it.