Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,
    I have a question which is as much a Palm OS question as a 680 question in particular. When I am in any app such as Calendar or Solitaire or anything else, MUST I hit the physical 'home' button to exit and return to the general launcher, or is there a way to exit an app via stylus and touchscreen? Isn't it weird, in any Windows or Apple computer software application, you can click on 'File' and pull down 'Quit' or 'Exit' to quit the app via mouse cursor or touchscreen (depending on one's device). How about on Palm Treo's?
    -- Josh
  2. #2  
    First of all, the Palm OS does not multi task like Windows. In my opinion, this is where the Palm OS beats all other devices in one handed operation. You need a WinMo Palm device for multi tasking.

    You can exit a program by pressing any hard key.

    Or you could use Fastlaunch, LaunchAnywhere, Mcphiling, PetiteLauncher or Switch5.

    With the above mentioned apps, you can press a key and launch another app without going to your 'Home' button.

    I have used all of the above, and my personal favorites are PetiteLauncher and Switch5. I use both on my Sprint 700p and Centro.

  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    First of all, the Palm OS does not multi task like Windows. In my opinion, this is where the Palm OS beats all other devices in one handed operation. You need a WinMo Palm device for multi tasking.

    No problem lacking multitasking, I have never minded. One thing at a time is fine on a PDA.

    The rest of your reply noted the many programs that would allow me to go from one app to another. I simply want to leave a current app with the stylus and NOT involving pressing a hardware key, be it the 'home' button, another app button, or any other preprogrammed hotkey buttons. Let's say it's dark and I have the keyboard lights off (keyshades hack), probably because I'm reading in bed on my Treo and the keyboard lites interfere with screen readability and eyestrain in the dark. I'm just using stylus to move around, see and read what I want. I'm done reading a piece in a medical reference app and now I want to switch apps to play solitaire. I can't see the 'home' button nor any others because I have the keyboard lites off. Among the nice things in an app's pulldown menu is missing 'exit', which has always been odd. Any way to exit with just the stylus and not involving hardware buttons?

    -- Josh
  4. #4  
    There is no way to exit an app with the stylus. Since there are no exit buttons on apps in Palm OS.

    That was the point of my reply giving you options for going to another app.

    If you are unfamiliar with a dark keyboard, you will need a light source for navigating around on the keyboard.

  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    There is no way to exit an app with the stylus. Since there are no exit buttons on apps in Palm OS.

    That was the point of my reply giving you options for going to another app.

    If you are unfamiliar with a dark keyboard, you will need a light source for navigating around on the keyboard.

    Aha, that's very clear and helpful. I am somewhat unfamiliar with dark keyboard layout because I am two weeks into ownership of 680 after 3 years with 650. I actually liked the 650 keyboard/button layout better, but nothing I can do about that. A device with lots of memory, no crashes, and working hotsync and audio jacks is a big step up in the world!

    Thanks!
    -- Josh
  6. #6  
    This Might help???
    If U use Power hero!!
    Under 'Powersaver' > 'Don't Trigger Keylights with':
    uncheck Side keys, but check 5-way

    In that way, if U want the keyboard light on, just press side key
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by drashran View Post
    This Might help???
    If U use Power hero!!
    Under 'Powersaver' > 'Don't Trigger Keylights with':
    uncheck Side keys, but check 5-way

    In that way, if U want the keyboard light on, just press side key
    Thanks, that happens to be the way I have had it set up for years! KeyShades toggles on/off with prolonged pressing of the user-defined side key.
    -- Josh
  8. #8  
    It is the programmer's choice not to include a quit option. It is certainly possible, but I guess the thinking is that the hard button option is the simple option.
  9. #9  
    i use multi-tasking on palm

    sub-launcher along with accessorize allows for multi-tasking

    http://www.ranosoft.net/sublauncher/

    give it a try....

    some apps that dont allow for an exit u can exit via the command bar.. there are tons of apps out there that allow for the popup of the commad bar
  10. #10  
    Dear Josh. PalmOS being a non multitasking OS, when you switch to another application (the home screen launcher is also an application), the current application saves it's state and quit. Then another application opens. So according to the very tired "Zen of Palm", you don't have to quit an application in the traditional sense. You either turn off power and enjoy your life elsewhere or open another application. Of course there are some processes that run in the background and to quit these you need to select a menu of the application that start the process, i.e., Chatteremail, PocketTune, etc.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by italiangspot View Post
    i use multi-tasking on palm

    sub-launcher along with accessorize allows for multi-tasking

    http://www.ranosoft.net/sublauncher/

    give it a try....

    some apps that dont allow for an exit u can exit via the command bar.. there are tons of apps out there that allow for the popup of the commad bar
    Yeah, SubLauncher would be great during the trial period if it weren't for the "Did You Know" nag screens constantly popping up..

    The nag screens did not entice me to buy it. The nag screens prevented me from buying it. That's Rano's choice to place the nag screens in there. Why a developer would choose to put constant nag screens in an app is beyond my reasoning.

    You still need to place a trigger (hard button) or find apps that allow for Command Bar.

  12. #12  
    By the time you find a way to go to the launcher with the stylus, your finger would have learned to press the home button in the dark.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by treotraveler View Post
    Yeah, SubLauncher would be great during the trial period if it weren't for the "Did You Know" nag screens constantly popping up..

    The nag screens did not entice me to buy it. The nag screens prevented me from buying it. That's Rano's choice to place the nag screens in there. Why a developer would choose to put constant nag screens in an app is beyond my reasoning.

    You still need to place a trigger (hard button) or find apps that allow for Command Bar.

    You forgot to mention that such things are extremely unstable except for small programs used a limited amount.

    I don't use SubLauncher, I just use Accesserizer. But same difference. I mostly use it with Memo so I can copy/paste info between applications easier, but I really should find something more suited for that job.

    Anything large will almost always crash, or soon crash if launched a few times.

Posting Permissions