1.    #1  
    While i wait for the black centro to come to ATT, i decided to paint my unlocked 650 a different color, as scratches and such had scarred its surface over the years.

what do you guys think...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm curious how you detached the black piece. I thought they were permanently bonded together.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Looks nice. Smooth even.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I'm curious how you detached the black piece. I thought they were permanently bonded together.

theres a tutorial of it on youtube. but basically you remove the melted plastic ("solder" we'll call it) then you pop it out very carefully. do the same for the earpiece... now the interesting part of this is gluing it back together

lots of sanding.. wetsanding.. painting.. took place. i completely destroyed my original chrome piece, as it was already cracked.. trying to remove it just made things worse. so it was a good thing that i had a spare 650 case around.
    looks good. be sure to post a post-assembly picture!
    What can I say? A girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do!
    Nokia 3360 -> Sony Ericsson t226 -> Sony Ericsson z500 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 680 -> AT&T Centro
  6.    #6  
    back together... hmmm.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I likey, I likey... if you put that nub antennae on it would absolutely complete the deal.
    ONE can be spelled as NEO.
    There is no spoon.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hdhntr23 View Post
    I likey, I likey... if you put that nub antennae on it would absolutely complete the deal.
    i wouldve.. but i like my antenna headphone jack

i also thought about paint.. but it was too much work to disassemble the antenna just to paint it.
    What kind of paint did you use?
  10.    #10  
    I used model spray paint/primer/clearcoat. its a japanese brand i think.. but i forget the exact name. might be tamiya. ive found their paints to have really great finishes especially when sprayed correctly.
    Looks good.

Nice Work. I have yet to try and paint mine but will try when I purchase a cheap airbrush kit. Regular spraycans spray on a little to thick for my likings.

yours looks really nice though. you should invest in a Invisishield too.
    That is AWESOME!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by OLD_HATCH View Post
    Looks good.

Nice Work. I have yet to try and paint mine but will try when I purchase a cheap airbrush kit. Regular spraycans spray on a little to thick for my likings.

yours looks really nice though. you should invest in a Invisishield too.

i agree, regular spray cans do spray on too thick which is why i opted for the brand i used. I have hardly any fitment problems (the black frame around the screen was a little tough to get back on since you had to glue it, and mine was from a spare 650 case, so it didnt fit perfectly)

i think an invisishield would probably be a good idea to prevent scratches and chips. ill have to look into it as im afraid of damaging the paint. the white also seems to pick up more dirt/markings than i would like.. i wish i had the gloss clear coat, i think it may have held up a bit better.... or perhaps if i added more clear.. i did about 2-3 coats of each step.. but im thinking its really not enough

thanks for the input guys
    How long did you let it dry?

I painted a 700 case once and didnt like the way it came out cause of the paint being a little thick and it took about a week to completely dry at room temperature.

I had found a 50% discount coupon online for invisishield, try and look for it. I took advantege of it and bought it for my daughters 650 my 700 and the wifes centro.
  15.    #15  
    was about a day... paint felt hard enough.. but i probably should have waited...

it also seems like the lotion i am using is interacting with the paint.. perhaps its because i didnt let the paint fully cure and now its softened from the oils on my face. If it werent for that, the phone still looks pretty good.. its just the area around the screen on one edge has a "sticky" side with a tad bit of black rubbing off onto the white, with the residue sticky(a sign of contamination). the primer underneath is still 100% though. i think a minor wetsand and repaint should bring it back.

I can feel the black centro release date coming close, so once that is out, ill probably repaint the 650 and let it cure FULLY! for a week or so(or until it stops smelling like paint :P). I should have understood that was an indication of not being cured yet.. but i got too excited, since it looked awesome. its current condition id rate 8-9 out of 10. it still looks tons better than it was, all scratched, dinged, faded.

Ill take a look into the invisishield.. how much did it run you? and does it cover the whole phone? i suppose the areas id be concerned with is around the screen and the back of the phone (vibrate has made some shiny areas on the back of the phone)