Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was wondering if there were instructions on how to convert a verizon 700p to the 755p software and if you would lose any use of the phone (assuming the conversion goes well... Thanks!
    Here's some Verizon specific instructions. Most of this information is taken from this thread. Many thanks to kocoman for providing these instructions, I just summarized and added a couple things for Verizon.

1) Download kocoman's 755 ROM file from: http://rapidshare.com/files/88032709...p1-04.rar.html
    2) Download the Verizon Treo700p_-1.10-VZW update from: http://palmone.r3h.net/downloads.pal...pdate-rev1.zip
    3) Unzip both files
    4) Copy the entire unzipped contents of the 755 ROM file to an SD card (blank or not) in the /ROM folder.
    5) From the 700p update unzipped folder, copy the following files to the /PALM/Launcher folder on the SD card: "CDMAFirmwareUpdater.bprc", "CDMAFirmwareUpdater_enUS.oprc", "RomUpdater.bprc", & "RomUpdater_enUS.oprc" and then rename each of the files to have just the .prc extension.
    6) Backup any information on the phone and make sure the battery is fully charged & plugged in before you do the update.
    7) put the SD card into the phone, and run the "RomUpdater" application, it should say "VENT" and "DVT", if you do not see that DVT, do not flash!!! (VERY IMPORTANT)
    8) type "ventura" and enter
    9) Wait for the update to finish (about 20 minutes)
    10) To get the phone to work, you have to restore the Verizon PRL. Do this by running the CDMA Updater application from the card. Hit the menu button, and go to debug. Uncheck everything but "Update PRL" and hit OK, then tap Update Now. After that finishes, you should be able to make and receive phone calls like normal BUT you will not be able to do *228 to update the PRL.
    11) Get rid of the my treo auto update. Open MyTreo, hit the menu button, and select update. Change Auto-Update to Off.
    12) (Optional) You may want to hide some of those Sprint applications that won't work like SprintTV and SprintStore. Go to this thread and download that application, then you can hide apps by going to the applications item in preferences.
    13) Your data connection may or may not work after the update. Mine worked fine, but I already had two different connections in Network preferences. You may need to create a duplicate service, with dummy settings, and then choose the original for the connection to work.
    14) Now you can start to restore your data and applications to the phone. I would advise going program by program to make sure you don't go into a reset loop, and besides, this will give you a chance to get rid of those apps that you weren't really using and were just taking up space.
    Last edited by TJSunDevil; 03/20/2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    cant you download the verizon 755 file into the 700? instead of using sprint in the verizon phone.

has anyone done this?

will the verizon repair techs do it for us?

thanks, ron
    No, there needs to be a firmware update, and the latest version of the Verizon 755p is the one that came on it.

I highly doubt that a tech will do it because this is not "official".
    Be sure to check out SmartDeviceResource!

Device Timeline: Palm III → RIM 950 → RIM 957 → Tungsten W → Kyocera 7135 → Treo 600 → Treo 650 → Treo 700p → Treo 755p & 800w → Treo 755p & Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by robin24k View Post
    No, there needs to be a firmware update, and the latest version of the Verizon 755p is the one that came on it.

I highly doubt that a tech will do it because this is not "official".
    so I guess I'm SOL since I use VZW Synch to replicate corporate lotus notes mail.

Anyone have any sucess with this?

Any word on ROM update for 755?

Grundig
    What I can't figure out is why we would change the extension to .prc when there are already files in the folder named the same as the files we are adding. Are we replacing the included files?
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    13) Your data connection may or may not work after the update. Mine worked fine, but I already had two different connections in Network preferences. You may need to create a duplicate service, with dummy settings, and then choose the original for the connection to work.
    How do I restore my data connection if it doesn't work? I see you mention you had two different connections. How did you do that? Very important.
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywayne View Post
    How do I restore my data connection if it doesn't work? I see you mention you had two different connections. How did you do that? Very important.
    ##DATA will create a duplicate connection.

Then go to prefs, network and select new connection
    Quote Originally Posted by robin24k View Post
    so if I wait until the first Vz 755p update, then I could update my 700p???
    You can update it right now as long as you don't mind having Sprint software on it. The only things I've found that don't work are MMS and Wireless Sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvoss View Post
    ##DATA will create a duplicate connection.

Then go to prefs, network and select new connection
    Or in network prefs, you can go to the menu and select "Duplicate"
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJSunDevil View Post
    Or in network prefs, you can go to the menu and select "Duplicate"
    You know for some reason mine wouldn't let me duplicate. ##DATA was the only way I could do it, weird.

Michael
    Interestingly enough I cannot figure out how to create this duplicate network connection. ##DATA does nothing on my Treo. I tried #*#DATA and thatgot me to data, but it requires a password to create a new connection. Can you provide some assistance?
    I'm just wondering why you would want to put 755p software on the 700p verizon?

-E
    There have been numerous reports of greater stability and speed. At least that will enable me to hold out until my ne2 expires and I can either get a centro (hopefully by then) or the 755. I successfully did the flash and did notice some speed but couldn't get the data connection to work.
    noob here, but computer literate with a couple of questions regarding conversion.

If I do this conversion, what are my limitations?

If during the process, I brick it, will a Hard reset usually recover it?

Thanks,

Rich
    Quote Originally Posted by zitman11 View Post
    If I do this conversion, what are my limitations?
    You won't be able to send/receive MMS (multimedia messages) or use the Verizon wireless sync app. Also, *228 will not work anymore, so PRL updates need to be done by the CDMA_Updater app.

Quote Originally Posted by zitman11 View Post
    If during the process, I brick it, will a Hard reset usually recover it?
    Probably not, since the firmware is being flashed - it would depend on where in the process you were. There are revert files posted in this thread that could help if it bricks, but I believe those are Sprint specific as well.
    All I think its time to revive this thread given the new VZW 755 update. Any thoughts on what files from the update need to be modified if any?
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    If someone will create the correct files from vzw I can test this now I'm getting my new phone on monday (another 700p) so I can run it on my old 700
    espicially looking for the guy who did the second version, named "lovedatreo" if someone can PM please PM him
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Can I use thse instruction to get my Sprint 700p onto Verizon?
    A.S.d.l.C
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast