Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I also use TreoLauncher now.

Very small footprint. It also has less features of course though. I use it together with PowerRun and find it to be a nice replacement that doesn't slow down my system.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    I can assure you that LauncherX is much faster and has a much smaller footprint than Zlauncher. Most people find that LauncherX is the fastest launcher they have ever used.
    Oh I wasn't knocking LauncherX at all. There may be a few things Zlauncher does that LX doesn't but if there are I don't miss them. I've been very happy with Launcher X and have been using it since I had my Kyocera 7135. I was just concerned that Palm had done something screwy with the Centro that was going to cost me the ability to use LX, which fortunately turned out not to be the case. I've happily recommended LX to plenty of folks.

The delays many are having probably come from the use of applications that use a particular Palm Event Notification called 'hede'. But other notificaitons can cause delays when switching applications or powering on your device. . .
    This 'hede' is interesting. I'm going to try out Safeguard when I start loading a few newer apps like Butler that do notifications. Right now I think Datebk6 is the only program I have that does much in the way of Events. I will post back any interesting findings.
    I thought something was wrong with my 755p (1.0.7 ROM) when my gf got her new Centro. It was blazing fast when it came to app switching/loading, etc.

Turns out it was just that my system was heavily weighed down by 3rd party apps and that my dbcache was so full (even though I try to minimalize its usage) that my phone ended up having to clear out the dbcache a lot when launching Blazer.

On a clean system though, I see no real performance differences between the Treo 755p (1.0.4 ROM), Treo 755p (1.0.7 ROM), or the Centro (even if I install the Centro VM 4 update on my 755p).
    I'm in a meeting room now where my signal level is low. I'm experiencing unusual lag while using my Centro here. I've noticed that if I turn the radio off, the lag goes away. Would some others test this and report their results?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    You are experiencing typical service - when the signal level is low, the device attempts to establish a better signal and the device subsequently slows down. Turning off the radio takes care of that and that is exactly what I do at a couple of locations I routinely go to.

Ben
    I just did another test. I hard reset the device, and with the radio on, I experienced terrible lag. Then I turned the radio off, and the Centro was very quick. No lag at all. So unless someone tells me different, I'm assuming that Ben is correct.

I'm evaluating this Centro on Sprint. I can still cancel and go with AT&T. I noticed Ben is also on Sprint.

I do have a question: Do AT&T users have the same issue?
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

It is not a carrier based issue - it is a fact of life with a device that is not capable of multi-tasking. The phone/data function ties everything up with these devices. If you want no lag and are in an areaa with a low/weak/bad/no signal/service, then you just gotta turn it off. This is with all carriers.

Ben
    I do not believe it is due to mutitasking or the lack of it. I think this really has to do with the way the operating system handles phone notifications. When a phone event is generated, all applications that are registered for phone notifications are launched one after another. I will bet this is where the "slowness" is coming from on the Centro. My guess is that under low signal conditions, the activity level of phone events increases and thus causes the Centro to not respond as quickly as it normally does. If the Treo/Centro did perform multitasking, the slowness would probably be even worse rather than better. This is becuase there would be a huge demand for the CPU with multiple applications contending for the CPU rather than a serial string of applications each getting full use of the CPU. I will soon have ProfileCare ported to the Centro. This would help since ProfileCare has a signal level detection feature that will automatically shutoff the phone radio after x minutes of a low signal condition. It will then keep looking for a signal every y minutes until it finds a new signal. X and Y are both configurable within ProfileCare.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    It is not a carrier based issue - it is a fact of life with a device that is not capable of multi-tasking. The phone/data function ties everything up with these devices. If you want no lag and are in an areaa with a low/weak/bad/no signal/service, then you just gotta turn it off. This is with all carriers.

Ben
    There is one problem with that theory: I can talk on the phone while I use the PDA functions. That seems to disprove your theory of the phone ties up everything when it is being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    There is one problem with that theory: I can talk on the phone while I use the PDA functions. That seems to disprove your theory of the phone ties up everything when it is being used.
    I think Ben and I were basically saying the same thing. I don't think he was saying the device can't be doing anything when the phone is in use. I think he was saying that when phone events are being processed, everything else on the device needs to wait until all applications have processed the phone event notification. This is true with all "events" in the Palm operating system. So if you do not want a series of Phone Events being triggered during low signal conditions, turn off the phone's radio and your device will not experience any slowness as Phone Events are generated.

Does this make sence? Ben correct me if I have mistaken what you were trying to say.

Jeff
    Sounds reasonable to me. Are there any AT&T users who can confirm the same behavior? If AT&T doesn't do it (the lag), then I might want to stay with them, since they also sell Centros.

What I said was it slowed things up - not tied things up. I use my Centro extensively throughout the day with Bluetooth enabled and am often using HanDBase or DTG actively entering/editing data. In an area where the signal is not good or even drops, HanDBase/DTG basically stop working until the signal returns or I take steps to turn off the phone. When the signal is good, the device operates like a champ. Jeff's explanation though is very good and I look forward to trying ProfileCare and checking out its ability to monitor the phone. Power Hero tries to monitor the phone/data signal and does work to some extent, but not that well.

Also, Jeff, keep up the great work - I purchased ANOTHER of your applications very recently.

Ben
  13. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    I just did another test. I hard reset the device, and with the radio on, I experienced terrible lag. Then I turned the radio off, and the Centro was very quick. No lag at all. So unless someone tells me different, I'm assuming that Ben is correct.

I'm evaluating this Centro on Sprint. I can still cancel and go with AT&T. I noticed Ben is also on Sprint.

I do have a question: Do AT&T users have the same issue?
    We found definitively that if you slot in a 3G Sim card you will cause lag in the centro. The older generation 2G Sim cards do not have this problem.
    well, i tried this on my 700p. it caused a reset (loop) on my stable but a littlle slow 700p and then man of my apps did not work: key suite, Athletix, Balance Log, TakePhone (caused a reset loop) and i spent a few hours debugging my 700p and deleting the trial of Safe Guard. I will not try that again...sorry Jeff.

edit...this is not fixed...i get this error on hot sync/... Error: 0xa0009c47 Failed to open/creating handheld database. <0x00004004, CpABSAP Contacts, 0x43704142, 232>

edit 2- after using file z to delete the database i syncing again..it appears to be working.

Give SafeGuard a try. It will show you what applications are running in the background. Even better, it will show you what Palm events cause the applications to run in the background. There are many threads on the Palm event 'hede' and how it effects your device's performance. PalmInternals will work too but the major difference is that Palm internals only shows you what applications that are currently running in the background. SafeGuard shows you all applications that are or have run in the background. The big difference here is that applications can cause performance problems sometimes and not others. The example furreverdad had is a good one. Hanging up the phone may trigger an application or applications to run but after they run, PalmInternals will not register them as running. SafeGuard remembers what applications have done and reports this information in the detailed information screen for a particular application. Another good thing is that SafeGuard reports all of its informaiton in a very user friendly way! Even I get lost in PalmInternals some times because it is so cryptic. ;-)

Jeff
    Last edited by bling300c; 04/04/2008 at 08:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bling300c View Post
    edit 2- after using file z to delete the database i syncing again..it appears to be working.
    So SafeGuard is now working for you? Are you using version 2.07?

Jeff
    i removed safeguard and restored the database that got damaged. I not sure what version it was. I got if from your website as a trial. I am not going to mess with it anymore.

So SafeGuard is now working for you? Are you using version 2.07?

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger View Post
    What I said was it slowed things up - not tied things up. I use my Centro extensively throughout the day with Bluetooth enabled and am often using HanDBase or DTG actively entering/editing data. In an area where the signal is not good or even drops, HanDBase/DTG basically stop working until the signal returns or I take steps to turn off the phone. When the signal is good, the device operates like a champ. Jeff's explanation though is very good and I look forward to trying ProfileCare and checking out its ability to monitor the phone. Power Hero tries to monitor the phone/data signal and does work to some extent, but not that well.

Also, Jeff, keep up the great work - I purchased ANOTHER of your applications very recently.

Ben
    Ben:

Now I know what you meant to say, and there are certainly no hard feelings on my part, but you DID say that "The phone/data function ties everything up with these devices."

Still waiting to hear from AT&T users. . .

Tony

I have an AT&T Centro (black) and have had it for a couple of days, I have had no lag (but I am using the old cingular sim). I do have to say this has been one of the fastest palm devices I have owned, and so far is much better then my 680.
    Good info. Are you in a weak signal area? Mine works great as long as I have a couple of bars.

I have my devices set to generate a tone when in/out of a signal area and when the alert is given indicating a very weak signal, my 700P and Centro (both), basically stop working until the signal is regained or the device stops attempting to connect. Once connected or the device stops attempting to connect, the devices operate fine.

Ben
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast