Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Give SafeGuard a try. It will show you what applications are running in the background. Even better, it will show you what Palm events cause the applications to run in the background. There are many threads on the Palm event 'hede' and how it effects your device's performance. PalmInternals will work too but the major difference is that Palm internals only shows you what applications that are currently running in the background. SafeGuard shows you all applications that are or have run in the background. The big difference here is that applications can cause performance problems sometimes and not others. The example furreverdad had is a good one. Hanging up the phone may trigger an application or applications to run but after they run, PalmInternals will not register them as running. SafeGuard remembers what applications have done and reports this information in the detailed information screen for a particular application. Another good thing is that SafeGuard reports all of its informaiton in a very user friendly way! Even I get lost in PalmInternals some times because it is so cryptic. ;-)

Jeff
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I had noticed lag and issues with delays in recognizing pushed buttons. I thought it might be PalmRevolt, but going into the phone (and/or Takephone) screen took even longer than most apps and those weren't skinned by PalmRevolt. I did a soft reset before, and I don't recall it fixing the problem. It continued to have noticeable lag, which was getting irritating as I was suddenly reminded of one of the least-beloved features of my old Kyocera 7135 (lag, missed button-pushes, delayed button-pushes). I had another soft reset a couple of days ago, and the delays went away. I thought maybe it was that PalmRevolt was turned off, but I turned it back on today and still no lag (knock wood).

I noticed lag when the signal was low, as others have commented, but my signal isn't great in the office and I'm doing fine now.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get Safeguard loaded before the problem went away to have a before/after idea of the processes that were in use. The only other thing I can think of that I changed was to lower the cache allowed in Blazer, but I don't use it often enough for that to be a likely cause.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brerlapn View Post
    I had noticed lag and issues with delays in recognizing pushed buttons. I thought it might be PalmRevolt, but going into the phone (and/or Takephone) screen took even longer than most apps and those weren't skinned by PalmRevolt. I did a soft reset before, and I don't recall it fixing the problem. It continued to have noticeable lag, which was getting irritating as I was suddenly reminded of one of the least-beloved features of my old Kyocera 7135 (lag, missed button-pushes, delayed button-pushes). I had another soft reset a couple of days ago, and the delays went away. I thought maybe it was that PalmRevolt was turned off, but I turned it back on today and still no lag (knock wood).

I noticed lag when the signal was low, as others have commented, but my signal isn't great in the office and I'm doing fine now.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get Safeguard loaded before the problem went away to have a before/after idea of the processes that were in use. The only other thing I can think of that I changed was to lower the cache allowed in Blazer, but I don't use it often enough for that to be a likely cause.
    Glad to hear the problem has gone into hiding. If it creeps up again, SafeGuard will allow you to pretty quickly diagnose the problem.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I had this problem with 680, Centro is FAST
    any fixes for the centro palm? I keep getting an internal error 2908 when I try and load my software..a tech at palm referred me to this forum for a possible fix...anyone?
  6. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I notice huge lags when I have a lot of texts on the device, and it goes away if I clear my inbox. Programs operating in the background can cause lagging too. Backup, hard reset, and install apps one by one to find the culprit.
    I have had my gsm centro for a week now and I dare say its the fastest os 5 device I have to date. I have 5 gb of data on a sandisk 8gb microsdhc. Have you tried a hard reset. If not I suggest go to your retail shop and compare to one of the demo devices. If you can prove a hardware failure...swap the phone..
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy View Post
    I have had my gsm centro for a week now and I dare say its the fastest os 5 device I have to date. I have 5 gb of data on a sandisk 8gb microsdhc. Have you tried a hard reset. If not I suggest go to your retail shop and compare to one of the demo devices. If you can prove a hardware failure...swap the phone..

I agree. This phone is def the fastes Palm Treo I have owned, And ive owned them all since the 290!!! almost 10 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by tsy View Post
    Mine is a CDMA Centro but I too agree that it is very fast and stable compared to 650 and 700p devices I've owned. This is what Palm should have made in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    Mine is a CDMA Centro but I too agree that it is very fast and stable compared to 650 and 700p devices I've owned. This is what Palm should have made in the first place.
    I have a CDMA too, the Freq on which the phone operates on shouldnt have Anything to do with how it operates however-
    That is unless we're arguing dropped calls or call reception-
  10. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by furreverdad View Post
    I have had my Sprint Centro for four months. Used to have the Treo 650. There is a very ANNOYING delay in nearly everything I do. Do you guys experience that on your Centro. I click to hang up the phone, I get a delay before it hangs up, I click the Done button, I get a delay...nearly EVERYTHING has this delay. If I push three buttons, it delays for 2 or 3 seconds then QUICKLY does all three things I pushed. I HATE IT - ready to dump it. Comments??
    Hi furreverdad,

The only occasions where I have had any problems with the phone is where a app is running in the background. 1st hardreset your phone and see if it helps.

Then try without the memory card.

If your phone is still laggy.. you may need a RMA...
    I have no lag the Centro is very quick. You might want to try tealscan and safeguard to see what is causing the problem. It sounds like software. I know some of the skinning programs can really slow the palm down i.e. skinui, and palmrevolt.
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    I would be willing to pay more $$ for a beefed up Centro that would be as fast as my Tungsten C which has no lag at all.
    David
  13. tsy
    Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    I would be willing to pay more $$ for a beefed up Centro that would be as fast as my Tungsten C which has no lag at all.
    Erm.. the centro has no lag. I have a Clie T415, T615, TH55 , treo 650 and it beats ALL of them hands down.
    Quote Originally Posted by drw View Post
    We still have a couple of Tungsten C's and my Centro is faster than them.
    Sprint 600 - 650 - 755 - Mogul - 700Wx - Centro - 800W & iPhone
    Quote Originally Posted by coolstorm92 View Post
    If you think the centro is bad, you should have tried the 700p. Total garbage. 20-30 sec delay. I am happy to have the 1 sec delay now. Just get used to it.
    Amen to that, more like 30-50sec on my old 700p...and usually after the delay it would crash!
    I too get a 1-2 second delay when the phone has a low signal or is switching between towers. Horribly annoying. I don't understand why they would have designed the radio to be able to take over 100% of the CPU usage.

Why does it need to use so much of the phone's CPU in the first place? Isn't the radio chipset largely able to work on its own? Other cell phones don't have such a problem.
    Zlauncher was causing a pretty high performance hit over time (on top of memory fragmentation) on my 755p. Because of Zlauncher's large footprint, Blazer needed to clear the dbcache a lot more often eventually, which takes forever. 20+ second white screens if this happens.

I did a hard reset and now I'm using TreoLauncher instead. Much smaller footprint and everything is blazing fast. Blazer has not had to clear the dbcache once so far.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I was using LauncherX while I was having delay problems and was afraid that it could be contributing (although I'd never had trouble with it before), but I'm using it since then as well with no problems. I think it's a bigger .prc file than ZLauncher, but I've never noticed any performance hits from using it. It's actually quite snappy and responsive. I've never seen the sort of delay from clearing a cache that you mention, so I'm assuming Launcher X doesn't suffer from the same problem or that it handles it in some less intrusive manner.

At any rate, I am currently using LauncherX, Takephone, and PalmRevolt with none of the delay issues, so I think it's safe to say they aren't the source of the problem.
    It's a bit more subjective than just using the launcher. Also the memory footprint isn't necessarily the same as the prc size (the internal memory space taken up by a .prc file isn't really the problem).

Zlauncher on a fresh system runs fairly well. But over time with customization, installation of other apps that require locking into the dbcache, fragmentation, etc, eventually I ended up with a fairly slow system.

Zlauncher saps your dbcache quite heavily one way or another. Question is do you notice it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brerlapn View Post
    I was using LauncherX while I was having delay problems and was afraid that it could be contributing (although I'd never had trouble with it before), but I'm using it since then as well with no problems. I think it's a bigger .prc file than ZLauncher, but I've never noticed any performance hits from using it. It's actually quite snappy and responsive. I've never seen the sort of delay from clearing a cache that you mention, so I'm assuming Launcher X doesn't suffer from the same problem or that it handles it in some less intrusive manner.

At any rate, I am currently using LauncherX, Takephone, and PalmRevolt with none of the delay issues, so I think it's safe to say they aren't the source of the problem.
    I can assure you that LauncherX is much faster and has a much smaller footprint than Zlauncher. Most people find that LauncherX is the fastest launcher they have ever used.

The delays many are having probably come from the use of applications that use a particular Palm Event Notification called 'hede'. But other notificaitons can cause delays when switching applications or powering on your device. All of these types of applications are discovered by SafeGuard. And with SafeGuard's quarantine feature, you can temporarily stop applications from running in the background (ie responding to Palm Event Notifications). This will allow you to target the application(s) that are causing device slowdowns. I can tell you that my Centros are all extremely fast! In fact they are the fastest "treo" devices I have ever owned.

Jeff
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast