1.    #1  
    This happened tonight. I was browsing a word document in Docs to Go. I hit the little door icon to exit, and the treo reset, entering a reset loop. I removed the battery, pushed a bunch of buttons, NOTHING worked.

I did a Hard Reset, and then re-HotSync'd under my old name. The hotsync completed, then the treo entered a reset loop again.

Therefore, I created a new username and reloaded everything from scratch (most of my stuff is saved on the computer so it's not a huge deal, but annoying to reset all my preferences and everything).

So what could have caused this? Was it Docs to GO? I'm not reloading that program on my treo... wasn't crazy about it anyway. Is there a suitable replacement for reading Word Docs?

I've also downloaded SafeGuard (is that new?) to see if I can figure out why it happens, if it happens again.

I was just feeling like my Treo 755 was stable. Verizon customers seem to be having TONS of problems with their 755s. Aside from a few spontaneous soft resets once in a while (not even every other day), I was having few if any problems with my phone. This was the first major thing, but scary nonetheless.

I will have to be sure to back my stuff up more often just in case!
    To make it easier to maintain the device, I suggest a device based backup application (Resco Backup & NVBackup are the 2 to look at); with one of these applications, set it to maintain a few backups that you can go back to that worked fine when they were backed up

In addition, an application such as Northglide's OnGuard Backup does on the fly real alive backups of user specified data - www.northglide.com and look around - the Neatfreak pack is interesting.

Normally when you execute a hard reset and then restore the device from the last backup, there is an exceedingly fine chance the problem will come back to bother you; hence having access to multiple backups is much nicer at play time.

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    This happened tonight. I was browsing a word document in Docs to Go. I hit the little door icon to exit, and the treo reset, entering a reset loop. I removed the battery, pushed a bunch of buttons, NOTHING worked.

I did a Hard Reset, and then re-HotSync'd under my old name. The hotsync completed, then the treo entered a reset loop again.

Therefore, I created a new username and reloaded everything from scratch (most of my stuff is saved on the computer so it's not a huge deal, but annoying to reset all my preferences and everything).

So what could have caused this? Was it Docs to GO? I'm not reloading that program on my treo... wasn't crazy about it anyway. Is there a suitable replacement for reading Word Docs?

I've also downloaded SafeGuard (is that new?) to see if I can figure out why it happens, if it happens again.

I was just feeling like my Treo 755 was stable. Verizon customers seem to be having TONS of problems with their 755s. Aside from a few spontaneous soft resets once in a while (not even every other day), I was having few if any problems with my phone. This was the first major thing, but scary nonetheless.

I will have to be sure to back my stuff up more often just in case!
    Yes SafeGuard is new! I just released it yesterday. Please let me know if this helps you. It will detect and fix reset loop issues.

Jeff
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post
    Yes SafeGuard is new! I just released it yesterday. Please let me know if this helps you. It will detect and fix reset loop issues.

Jeff
    Thanks! Looks like a great bit of software. So far the phone has been acting normally, but I will keep SafeGuard activated!

Question for you actually... To start I do not have Safeguard checking background (Palm) actions, because I was afraid of slowing down the system or causing issues. Is there any basis for this concern, or should I have all three components marked?
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson View Post

Jeff
    Jeff -

I have been trying to troubleshoot hanging crashes with resets on my Treo 755p which appear to point to Agendus Pro but which also happen frequently after hotsyncs. I have been using TealScan, RLock and CrashPro to troubleshoot and, while I actually enjoyed 48 hours without resets this past weekend, things seem to be back to 'normal' again.

Almost every crash hangs on the second Access screen, and requires battery removal. Once the battery is removed and reinserted, the Treo resets normally and runs.

Reset doctor thought these crashes were 'user initiated soft resets' and couldn't help at all. CrashPro thinks they're soft resets (although I have annotated the log extensively).

I'm very interested in seeing what SafeGuard is able to do, if anything, with this problem.

I'm fairly certain that the 10 days trial period will give me a feeling for whether the program is robust enough to earn its pay.

Harold
    Just to let you know, my first Hotsync after that message, I once again got the crash, and it hung at the Access splash screen.

Safeguard doesn't even know it happened; and now Avantgo won't sync.

Buzzzzzz.

Harold
    And when I deactivate SafeGuard, Avantgo works just fine, thank you very much.

Harold
    Quote Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
    And when I deactivate SafeGuard, Avantgo works just fine, thank you very much.

Harold
    I found an issue with SafeGuard that I will be releasing a fix for in a few hours that will solve the Avantgo issue.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by stephentyler20 View Post
    Thanks! Looks like a great bit of software. So far the phone has been acting normally, but I will keep SafeGuard activated!

Question for you actually... To start I do not have Safeguard checking background (Palm) actions, because I was afraid of slowing down the system or causing issues. Is there any basis for this concern, or should I have all three components marked?
    The Palm Crash Monitor "can" slow down your Treo if you have applications on your device that are using a Palm notification event called 'hede'. This event causes a Palm notification event to be generated every time anything happens on your Treo. If there are applicaitons actively using this notification, SafeGuard will monitor this application and this monitoring will cause extra CPU cycles to be consumed. Most users will never "feel" this slowdown but if you are having problems on your device, this crash monitor is invaluable as it will uncover most crashes that happen because of misbehaved applications that run in the background.

Jeff
    The updated version of SafeGuard (version 2.02) is now available.

It fixes problems with interface problems with several applications:
    - LightWav
    - Colorize
    - Resco
    - Avantgo

To upgrade just disable your existing version of SafeGuard and install the version at this URL: http://GoTreoSoftware.com/SafeGuardDownload.html

Please report any issues to: support @ GoTreoSoftware.com

Thanks,

Jeff
    Any updates on the new release of SafeGuard? Did this new release solve the compatibility issues hgoldner had encountered?

Jeff
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    I'm not sure about the other programs. But I can confirm that with v2.02 the problem with Colorize not surviving soft resets is fixed. At least on my Treo 755p that is.

Thanks.
    That's terrific! Thanks for the update.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    I am having the same problem and it only seems to happen right after I load Agendus Mail. It might even be Agendus Pro, but today was a first - I received a phone call and it rebooted; the phone was just sitting there, idle, and I was working on my homework, and I saw the screen go. I got a call a few minutes after that, and I asked the person who called if they tried to call previously but got put right into voicemail, and they said yep. That's never happened before - I just got reboots when I received or tried to send text messages sporadically.

I'm seriously contemplating taking this 755 back to Verizon and getting the BlB8830. It never crashed, and sure, it's a learning curve, but I'm confident I will be able to find the apps I need for either free or cheap, and be on my merry way.

I've heard lots of people are returning the 755s. What do you all think? I'm trying to find a solid reason not to return it, because I love my Treo, and have had a treo since the 600 (650 worked the best for me, although it had its issues, but never this bad), and I want to stay with the Treo, but I just can't seem to justify this kind of instability.
  15.    #15  
    yeltneb... it's my opinion after reading the numerous posts here that Verizon treos seem to be chock full of problems that sprint and other users don't have. May be due to some extra verizon programs that slow the phone down.

I will say that I've installed SafeGuard on my phone, and since then, I've had almost no spontaneous resets. In fact, I can't even remember the last time my phone had a reset. I did have to disable the palm process monitoring on it because it was slowing the phone down.

My phone is still no speed demon... has it's significant lags, and can be very frustrating to use (reference a couple of my other posts). However, it certainly is stable.

I like the idea of switching to a more reputable phone, but I know I personally wouldn't be happy with the 8830... My Dad uses it and loves it, but there's no camera, and no touchscreen... 2 things I'd automatically miss.

For now, I'm sticking with the 755. If Verizon ever gets another decent smartphone, I'll look into that!
    I would suggest loading SafeGuard and see if it can find the problem for you! The 755 is actually a good device. There was one problem where some 755's left without having an HSSN number. it was rare for this to cause problems but it was possible. SafeGuard will display the HSSN number. Go into the LICENSE KEY MANAGEMENT screen and hit the NEW KEY button. Then answer NO to the internet question. The next screen displays the HSSN number.

But in any event, load SafeGuard and let it run for a while. If 3rd party applications are causing the device to crash, SafeGuard should detect and pinpoint the problem application(s). There are additional features in SafeGuard that will identify problem applications. Things like Red running men, applications that use excessive event notifications, and event notifications that take too much processing power. The detailed user manual will explain all of these features.

Don't give up on the Treo! Its a great device!!

Jeff