Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #1  
    Hi all,

    I'm in the process of Palm development and my application allows users to use map data cached previously from Google/Yahoo/MSN and use it afterwards offline. Cache is collected on PC and copied directly or wrapped as a database to SD card. My intent is to allow user to create the cache by himself and use my Palm browser to scroll/zoom or locate himself on the map.

    The features I'd like to implement will include map routing, 2.5D view, map rotating and weather forecast for any Earth place.

    I'm looking for testers with Treo smartphones and GPS units. If you're interested please let me know what exact features you'd like to have and what regions are of most interest for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. #2  
    I'm not sure why one would want this, when there is Google Earth? Plus, having to get all the data ahead of time seems would be a laborious process and take a lot of ram.

    Could you explain more how the program works and such?
  3. #3  
    *I* would want this. Until Google Earth supports GPS on PalmOS units (I'm not holding my breath), this could be a very useful app. Yes, I know about WhereAmI, but it's not quite the same thing. It would also be useful if you're planning to be out of EDGE range - hiking in the hills, perhaps.

    Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
  4. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #4  
    Get it at PlanetDrives.com

    Limited time offer: FREE registered viewer.
    Last edited by mord; 04/23/2008 at 03:39 PM.
  5. #5  
    Hmm ... this looks interesting. I have a bluetooth GPS, and live in the Washington, DC area, which in principle is one of the regions which you support as a beta download.

    But it's not clear where the resulting Washington_MSN_08_16.map file should be placed in your SD card hierarchy (palm\PlanetMaps\PALM\Programs\Planet\Maps presumably).

    More importantly, the only included KML files are for Moscow, which isn't going to do me much good.

    So I think that I'm going to hold off for now on installing the software on my Centro, although I like the concept, at least until Google & Sprint & Palm get their act together to support Google Maps (on PalmOS devices) with GPS and/or tower triangulation.
  6. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Hmm ... this looks interesting. I have a bluetooth GPS, and live in the Washington, DC area, which in principle is one of the regions which you support as a beta download.

    But it's not clear where the resulting Washington_MSN_08_16.map file should be placed in your SD card hierarchy (palm\PlanetMaps\PALM\Programs\Planet\Maps presumably).

    More importantly, the only included KML files are for Moscow, which isn't going to do me much good.

    So I think that I'm going to hold off for now on installing the software on my Centro, although I like the concept, at least until Google & Sprint & Palm get their act together to support Google Maps (on PalmOS devices) with GPS and/or tower triangulation.
    As for path for maps - your conclusion is correct.

    As for Moscow KML files - as you can easily see the files are plain text files containing street names and geo points only, so you can easily change them for any other or just do not install them.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jae_63 View Post
    Hmm ... this looks interesting. I have a bluetooth GPS, and live in the Washington, DC area, which in principle is one of the regions which you support as a beta download.

    So I think that I'm going to hold off for now on installing the software on my Centro, although I like the concept, at least until Google & Sprint & Palm get their act together to support Google Maps (on PalmOS devices) with GPS and/or tower triangulation.
    You can use the free program Where Am I (http://mytreo.net/downloads/where-am-i,1172.html) to use GPS with Google Earth on your Treo...
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  8. #8  
    So, what would be the recommended BT reciever for this app?


  9. #9  
    One that you can use on a keychain, like this http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/11/treo-gps---free.html
  10. #10  
    Is it possible to include Brazil in your countries list? It would be certainly a hit, since we don't have ANY gps programs that work arounde here, for PalmOS platform. There is no TomTom maps, there was a program called Apontador that was discontinued (and there is no hack for it). The solution for us, brazilians, is to use PathAway and try to make decent maps for it. Thanks!
  11. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    You can use the free program Where Am I (http://mytreo.net/downloads/where-am-i,1172.html) to use GPS with Google Earth on your Treo...
    Yes, you can, but you'll have to wait for downoading each map tile. My program does not require any live connection, you can even have no coverage and be able to locate yourself on the map.
  12. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by tulio_f View Post
    Is it possible to include Brazil in your countries list? It would be certainly a hit, since we don't have ANY gps programs that work arounde here, for PalmOS platform. There is no TomTom maps, there was a program called Apontador that was discontinued (and there is no hack for it). The solution for us, brazilians, is to use PathAway and try to make decent maps for it. Thanks!

    Yes, I can make Brazil.
    maps.google.com looks better than maps.live.com, doesn't it?
    What do you need exactly: country road atlas or specific cities?

    --
    Last edited by mord; 04/29/2008 at 02:15 AM.
  13. #13  
    Well, since I live in Belo Horizonte, which is a one of the 3 majors cities (around 3 to 5 million people), it would be great if you could make it. But I have to think about our Palm comunity (in Brazil) as well, so you should consider making São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro too. I Think the focus should be on these three cities, then, if is not much to ask, you could do the roads. Belo Horizonte is at W43 56.100 S19 55.413 . I would be glad to help you in any way you need, including testing in my area. I have a collection of PathAway maps with a lot of country roads too, already calibrated, if it helps.

    To be honest, since we don't have anything at all, anything would help

    About features: It would be great if we could ourselves create routes, since it's what is lacking around here, in terms of software. Exporting Google Earth points was a great feature!

    Thanks!

    PS: I wasn't able to register my software at your site!
    Last edited by tulio_f; 04/30/2008 at 01:18 PM.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by tulio_f View Post
    Is it possible to include Brazil in your countries list? It would be certainly a hit, since we don't have ANY gps programs that work arounde here, for PalmOS platform. There is no TomTom maps, there was a program called Apontador that was discontinued (and there is no hack for it). The solution for us, brazilians, is to use PathAway and try to make decent maps for it. Thanks!
    Tulio, Check the free maps from http://www.tracksource.org.br/modules/news/
    you can run it on your treo too
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by oronzous View Post
    Tulio, Check the free maps from http://www.tracksource.org.br/modules/news/
    you can run it on your treo too
    Yeah, we got some of that converted to PathAway... It's ok for roads and all, but for cities, the names of the streets just doesn't look right, it gets too confused. They work better with garmin units. Thanks, anyway!
  16. #16  
    I received the Belo Horizonte map and it's just great! I'm amazed how fast you did it, and it looks accurate (I checked with Google Earth). But I'm having a issue, that i thought that registering would solve it: when it starts, and asks if I want to turn on the bluetooth, if I hit the "yes" button, it resets. Same thing if I start the program with the bluetooth on... Do you have anyone with these issues, or should I look for some incompability in my Treo 650? PS: I have a custom ROM, just stripped of the carrier customizations.

    Thanks, It's good to see a great product under development!!!

    Túlio Fleury
  17. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #17  
    I know the problem. You can find solution here: http://www.PlanetDrives.com/zip/help.txt
  18. Crimson's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    #18  
    This looks great - Would like to try it out.. does it work on the 755p and are you still offering free registration? If not how much does it cost?
  19. Micael's Avatar
    Posts
    736 Posts
    Global Posts
    739 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by papped View Post
    One that you can use on a keychain, like this http://blog.treonauts.com/2007/11/treo-gps---free.html
    I have the new version of that, freedom keychain 2000. works great. I didnt know this app would work with it.
    The Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
  20. mord's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
       #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
    This looks great - Would like to try it out.. does it work on the 755p and are you still offering free registration? If not how much does it cost?
    Haven't tried it on755p, but I assume it should work.
    No, free registration offer has been closed. I plan to add travel routes and set the price of $24.95
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions